This Just In - Linus Torvalds Is A Big Mean Poopyhead

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@blakeyrat said:

incentivized

Neither does Firefox. It also doesn't have monetize. I wonder if GOOGLE'S Chrome has Monetize in it?

• @blakeyrat said:

Is that the thread I created like a year ago about lazy drivers cutting corners? Yeah I muted that shit ages ago.

It's the one about transphobia where bra-@fox keeps arguing with almost everyone else.

• @hifi said:

Maybe the drivers shouldn't crash in the first place?

Right; and we should get rid of airbags, seatbelts, and ambulances because cars shouldn't crash in the first place. Brilliant thinking.

So your argument basically is "this improvement in Windows doesn't matter because Linux users live in a fantasy land full of dwarfs and magical unicorns that has no resemblance to the real world".

Anyway, Windows drivers crash more often because Windows does a more shit with hardware. Just considering GPUs alone (and comparing like-for-like) the difference is staggering.

• @cartman82 said:

She wanted it to be a more silicon valley-esque "yay inclusiveness" "everyone deserves respect" type of place.

Silicon Valley, the home of Uber, being inclusive?

No.

People talk about Silicon Valley inclusiveness because it's fucking awful at it, not because it's already good at it. Believe me, none of those Uber-like "by assholes, for assholes" companies could survive long in Seattle. People wouldn't stand for it.

@cartman82 said:

Not everything needs to be like github.

GitHub is a good example of a Silicon Valley company that had a bunch of dickwads on the staff to the point where the press exposed their dickwaddery. Again: that shit wouldn't fly in Seattle, or New York, or basically anywhere but Silicon Valley. Which is fucking awful.

• @rc4 said:

Why do you hold this bizarre false dichotomy that "if someone doesn't like obnoxious SJWs they MUST BE GAMERGATE"?!

I'm just using Gamergate as shorthand to mean, "insane person who thinks 1) feminism is some horrible conspiracy against men everywhere, and 2) thinks it's ok to bucket everybody they don't agree with into 'SJW'."

I'd actually kind of prefer people go back to the old Rush Limbaugh "Feminazi" he used when he started this kind of bullshit up, because at least "Feminazi" is more fun to type and say than SJW.

• @aliceif said:

It's the one about transphobia where bra-@fox keeps arguing with almost everyone else.

Oh. I similarly muted that shit ages ago.

• Some people just don't get along. It's normal. I don't see how this is a story. Love him or hate him, Linus's management style seem to work for most of the team. Maybe you have to be thick-skinned to work with him.

(For the record, I doubt I'd get along well with Linus.)

• I really don't know what gamergate is. I did some googling and apparently there's some drama on the internet. I usually stay away from drama. And I don't play video games very often--definitely not enough to be informed about drama in the gaming community.

• Can we Jeff the last 15 or so posts somewhere else and get back to poopyhead?

• @blakeyrat said:

Think about this: what if you really love open source kernel work, but don't want to be treated like an asshole? Maybe nothing's wrong with you, except there's nowhere for you to go because the assholes took it all over.

FreeBSD? Fork linux? There's plenty of opportunities.

@blakeyrat said:

(Although, like I said, it's not improving nearly as fast as its closed-source competitors, and so if Linus ever spent a few hours outside his reality distortion bubble he might be surprised by what he sees.)

Really? The current "docker revolution" is based on the exclusive features in linux kernel (cgroups and namespaces). Microsoft has once again missed the boat and is now scrambling to add simular stuff to NT.

Was there something specific MS had added to the NT kernel that might surprise Linus? Genuinely interested.

@blakeyrat said:

I mean, it's like the Wikipedia problem: what if I want to write an encyclopedia article and post it on the Internet, but I don't want to deal with dickholes? Well. Tough shit. There's no place left. The Wikipedia dickholes have taken it all over.

Not exactly. Less network effect.

@blakeyrat said:

GitHub is a good example of a Silicon Valley company that had a bunch of dickwads on the staff to the point where the press exposed their dickwaddery. Again: that shit wouldn't fly in Seattle, or New York, or basically anywhere but Silicon Valley. Which is fucking awful.

Ok, either way, they are currently the loudest about the diversity shit.

• @cartman82 said:

Ok, either way, they are currently the loudest about the diversity shit.

Right; but the reason it's not loud in Seattle is because it's not a problem in Seattle. I just want to re-emphasize that.

Silicon Valley is full of the dickwads. Not us. Don't get the two confused. Or say "I saw an article on California, and therefore IT MUST APPLY TO THE ENTIRE US." Because fuck California.

• @blakeyrat said:

Windows does a more shit with hardware

That I can agree with

• BINNED

@blakeyrat said:

Linus is asking for volunteers

Is he? What happened? For years he didn't need to ask; they would just show up on their own.

• @blakeyrat said:

Right; and we should get rid of airbags, seatbelts, and ambulances because cars shouldn't crash in the first place. Brilliant thinking.

Those are to help with human errors that can't be fixed without removing the human. Apples and oranges.

@blakeyrat said:

So your argument basically is "this improvement in Windows doesn't matter because Linux users live in a fantasy land full of dwarfs and magical unicorns that has no resemblance to the real world".

I haven't seen a recent Mac crash with driver issues for example. Where did you get this Linux from?

@blakeyrat said:

Anyway, Windows drivers crash more often because Windows does a more shit with hardware. Just considering GPUs alone (and comparing like-for-like) the difference is staggering.

That's your excuse for instability? Wow.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@blakeyrat said:

The environment shouldn't adjust itself to suit you.

That doesn't make it immune to criticism.

Who's arguing that?

@blakeyrat said:

True, but Linus is asking for volunteers, then treating them like shit when they show up. This has two effects:

He's undoubtedly losing tons of potential contributors who would like to work on Linux, but don't want to be treated like shit
    He's creating a monoculture in the Linux kernel development community where treating people like shit is the norm-- because everybody else left.

Basically, he's created the DOTA2 of software development projects. He's incentivized being an asshole, and so the only people participating are assholes.

Now obviously Linus is ok with that. And right now he has enough people who are assholes to I guess keep the project going.

You know what the benefit of that is. They're in a nice corner that easy to ignore. Also it's not like this isn't well documented and anyone who gets involves doesn't know what they're in for. Thinking and expected a culture can change because of a code of conduct buried somewhere in a git repository is just looking to have their head lopped off.

@blakeyrat said:

(Although, like I said, it's not improving nearly as fast as its closed-source competitors, and so if Linus ever spent a few hours outside his reality distortion bubble he might be surprised by what he sees.)
    This is actually worrisome. Shit as it is we need more competition to force innovation. I wonder if your earlier comment is part of the reason that Linux community spends so much of its time at war with itself. There's like 10+ forks and then forks within forks. Noone sane gets involved with that clusterfuck unless 1) you're subject to FOSS zealots 2) Management mixed up free with 400 hours of developer time learning that bullshit. Luckily both are fairly isolated from my personal time.
    @blakeyrat said:
    Wow, you went from zero to asshole in ten seconds.
    doesn't stop what I said been true.

@blakeyrat said:

Think about this: what if you really love open source kernel work, but don't want to be treated like an asshole? Maybe nothing's wrong with you, except there's nowhere for you to go because the assholes took it all over.

I mean, it's like the Wikipedia problem: what if I want to write an encyclopedia article and post it on the Internet, but I don't want to deal with dickholes? Well. Tough shit. There's no place left. The Wikipedia dickholes have taken it all over.

I'll concede that's an inevitable position. BUT MOVE THE FUCK ON. Not dealing with cuntflaps is one of the benefits of the net. You can ignore them or find somewhere nicer to go. It's not like the person in either position couldn't apply their talents elsewhere.
    @blakeyrat said:
    Is that the thread envy you been able to do that. I can't help my stick my hand into the beehive.t shit ages ago.
    I envy you been able to do that. I can't help my stick my hand into the beehive.
    @Lorne_Kates said:
    Not if it's a trans horse. That'll never get old.
    I only flog transwomen apparently. NO

@Matches said:

Can we Jeff the last 15 or so posts somewhere else and get back to poopyhead?
    With a bit of luck

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@blakeyrat said:

2) thinks it's ok to bucket everybody they don't agree with into 'SJW'

^^^ This is exactly what's happening here. Apparently, it's not ok to write a blog post about why you're leaving a community anymore.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

feminism is some horrible conspiracy against men everywhere

As far as that Witchwind "all PIV is rape" person is concerned, it actually is! I mean, it's apparently a small conspiracy, but it exists. Unless she's a troll too.

• A clusterfuck of stuff that more or less (at this point, at least) is a bunch of gamers and SJWs warring with each other over everything.

Sounds hilarious when you put it that way, actually...

• @cartman82 said:

The current "docker revolution" is based on the exclusive features in linux kernel (cgroups and namespaces).

Cue the BSD and Solaris advocates rushing in outragedly ...

• @FrostCat said:

Unless she's a troll too.

Surely it's a sign of the times when there are people that hold such extreme and ridiculous viewpoints that nobody is able to tell if they're trolling or if they actually believe that.

Poe's law.

• @DogsB said:

I envy you been able to do that. I can't help my stick my hand into the beehive.

I love when people type gibberish into a quote tag and attribute it to me. Fuck off.

• imed snowmen as a desired "loot," as he terms of socks at Calvin puts though times in which seems mild-manner reprints only members, the explains that Max never made more supposed by his father spare well

Huh

• BINNED

@FrostCat said:

As far as that Witchwind "all PIV is rape" person is concerned, it actually is! I mean, it's apparently a small conspiracy, but it exists. Unless she's a troll too.

And to paraphrase the anti-GGers, if Witchwind isn't representative of feminism, then they should say so and publicly distance themselves from her.

• The most important difference between Atwood and Torvalds:

Torvalds generally knows what he's doing.

For example, Torvalds will no longer accept kernel patches from Kay Sievers, the developer of systemd. Why? Because Sievers writes buggy code causing regressions that other software has to work around.

The kernel isn't some small project no one cares about. If you change something in it, you'd better be damn well sure that it doesn't break the kernel itself, drivers, programs that make system calls against it, etc...

• @blakeyrat said:

llenar con anterioridad balón joven xerocopiar!

• @rc4 said:

anterioridad

Your English is broken.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@blakeyrat said:

@DogsB said:

I love when people type gibberish into a quote tag and attribute it to me. Here is some cookies and milk

Why thank you. That is so nice!

@aliceif said:

Cue the BSD and Solaris advocates rushing in outragedly ...

I have to use Solaris, I'm not advocating it 😆

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@antiquarian said:

if Witchwind isn't representative of feminism, then they should say so and publicly distance themselves from her.

OK. That woman is an outlier and I don't know a single feminist who agrees with her. She be cray cray, yo. That's a terrible thing to say.

Also, here's some articles about we ought to reclaim the word feminism from crazy people:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2015/06/11/carly-fiorina-wants-to-reclaim-feminism/

@Yamikuronue said:

That woman is an outlier and I don't know a single feminist who agrees with her.

Pauline Kael joke aside, don't make me hunt down the tumblr of that transwoman who quit taking testosterone, and who says that men aren't welcome to read her words.

But I used "radfem" earlier--maybe not on this thread--for a reason, and that was to serve as a disambiguator.

The tumblr you're talking about I'd also be happy to distance myself from :) It's really easy to disavow someone's philosophy when you don't believe in what they're saying and have no investment in their success.

• @Yamikuronue said:

Also, here's some articles about we ought to reclaim the word feminism from crazy people:

While I agree with the sentiment I think it's more akin to Hindus trying to reclaim the meaning of the swastika.

Inb4 Godwin's law

That may well be :)

I just didn't want to let the accusation that I, a person who considers herself a feminist, was unwilling to distance myself from crazies while calling on other factions too do the same stand.

• BINNED

@Yamikuronue said:

OK. That woman is an outlier and I don't know a single feminist who agrees with her. She be cray cray, yo. That's a terrible thing to say.

That's good, and I think more people should do that.

Honestly, I was considering saying something before I was called out, but I thought it'd do more harm than good. I see I was wrong :)

@Yamikuronue said:

onestly, I was considering saying something before I was called out

Who called you out? I was :trollface:ing

• The fact is, no one likes insane people who try to cause problems for others.

I have no problem believing that the vast majority of feminists are horrified by these people, but you don't hear about it a lot.

I am someone who hates seeing any group disparaged as pure evil, when the majority of them are horrified that people within their group would do such horrible things, which is why I have previously been so upset with the way you treat gamergate. I have no trouble calling a person horrible and a bigot if they go out of their way to proclaim it to the world, but all generalizations are rooted in the same things that make racism and sexism wrong.

And then you have horrible situations like this, with blakey trying to bring gamergate in, just because people disagree with a woman, because anyone who disagrees with a woman is part of a group he believes is evil. Seriously, why would anyone do this?

Everyone needs to cut it out. All this outrage is insane, and anyone trying to spread it is cancer.

Still waiting for the part where you clarify your feelings on death threats.

Because, in essence, that's the problem I always have: People say they're for ethics in games journalism, but they move the goalposts so much that I can't figure out what they're talking about except that everything I say is wrong. I am against death threats and I've been saying for years game journalism is beyond crap. But somehow it's only about ethics if I talk about sex, or about gender relations, or about death threats and SWATting. Which is why I don't bother engaging with anyone who signals their intent to play those games by calling themselves "pro-gamergate".

• @Yamikuronue said:

Still waiting for the part where you clarify your feelings on death threats.

You keep pulling that point. But you don't have that point. No one supports death threats, but people purporting to be part of causes send them sometimes. More often, people who get them blame them on a source. But people arguing that radfems are insane get as many as the radfems do.

I'm against them in all cases. I refuse to ignore the fact that this isn't one-sided, because I am sane.

Gamergate was always about not wanting journalists to skew their reviews because of relationships or the free stuff companies give them. "But death threats!" people yell, while adding their own.

We don't all belong in boxes, and putting people in a box just so you can label them evil is disgusting.

@Magus said:

I am sane

@Magus said:

is disgusting.

Mmkay, I'm done being 🎣'd now.

• Take my words how you will, but I don't hate you. You frequently add very good things to conversations. But you have an extreme bias here, and are taking words out of context, to give the impression that I'm targeting you specifically.

If you feel my words target you, when I'm saying they target any specific person who is willing to shove people in boxes and call them evil, that is on you.

Mmkay. Me and my disgusting evil self will be over here drinking a smoothie.

• If you want to call yourself disgusting, be my guest.

• ♿ (Parody)

What, made out of fruit? That is disgusting.

And kale!*

* May not contain kale

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@rc4 said:

@blakeyrat said:
    llenar con anterioridad balón joven xerocopiar!

• Here's an idea: if you are genuinely concerned about Ethics In Videogames, why not abandon #gamergate and grab a new hashtag, which doesn't have any death threats associated with it?

#ethicsinvideogames

• Мое судно на воздушной подушке полно угрей.

• Do Muppets even have butts to photocopy?