Nonexsistant field

• I got this error when signing up for a free download of Ground Control:

Notice 3 things:

1. There is no field to "fill in your age".
    2. The "Birth Date" field (which it is obviously referring to) is not marked with a "*", which, although not explicitly stated, is usually used to mark required fields.
    3. If the "*"s refer to anything, then it is the "You must be over the age of 13 to receive a key." note at the top. In that case, the "Birth Date" field is the one that should be marked.

Additionally, this is not just a case of an incorrect error message, look at the javascript validation code:

function checkRequired(frm){

var missing = "";
    var found = false;

if ( parseInt(frm.age_day.selectedIndex) == 0 || parseInt(frm.age_month.selectedIndex) == 0 || parseInt(frm.age_year.selectedIndex) == 0 ){

if ( missing.length > 0 )
    missing += "\r\n";

missing += "Please fill in your age.";
    }

if ( missing.length > 0 ){
    alert(missing);
    return false;
    }

return true;
    }

The field is actually called "age" internally.

• OMGWTFBBQ they used both 'age' and 'birth date'

*head implodes*

While it may not be pefect, I wouldn't call it a WTF either (except perhaps for a period of time no longer than about 3 seconds).

• After actually reading that javascript, their "method" of displaying an error is  a bit WTFy too.

• @mallard said:

After actually reading that javascript, their "method" of displaying an error is  a bit WTFy too.

Thats really a decent way to handle it. It just stacks more then 1 error in a single popup.

It is almost exactly like how frontpage creates validation, i wouldnt be supprised if it is frontpage.

• @plazmo said:

@mallard said:

After actually reading that javascript, their "method" of displaying an error is  a bit WTFy too.

Thats really a decent way to handle it. It just stacks more then 1 error in a single popup.

It is almost exactly like how frontpage creates validation, i wouldnt be supprised if it is frontpage.

Oh you wrote that.   Nice

• @mallard said:

Maybe the guy that wrote this could get together with this guy

And as far as client-side validation goes, I would like someone explain how the method is WTFy. I do see a 'var found = false' that is not found again, but it could be somewhere else in the code... This seems a perfectly logical and simple way to produce a validation warning in JavaScript.

• @R.Flowers said:

@mallard said:

Maybe the guy that wrote this could get together with this guy

And as far as client-side validation goes, I would like someone explain how the method is WTFy. I do see a 'var found = false' that is not found again, but it could be somewhere else in the code... This seems a perfectly logical and simple way to produce a validation warning in JavaScript.

Well the whole function could be written as:

function checkRequired(frm){
    	if ( parseInt(frm.age_day.selectedIndex) == 0 || parseInt(frm.age_month.selectedIndex) == 0 || parseInt(frm.age_year.selectedIndex) == 0  ){
     		alert("Please fill in your age.");
    		return false;
    	}
    	return true;
    }
    And be much easier to read/understand to boot. 

• *sigh*, you dont understand how that fuction is designed.

Its made so you can check more then 1 field and all the invalid errors will pop up in a single alert.

Which is much less annoying then a single popup for each invalid field.

• @plazmo said:

sigh, you dont understand how that fuction is designed.

Its made so you can check more then 1 field and all the invalid errors will pop up in a single alert.

Which is much less annoying then a single popup for each invalid field.

So you'll see something like this?:

Please enter your name.

Please put your last name in the last name field.

Please enter your address.

Please fill in your age.

Your wife has syphilis.

Your daughter is pregnant.

Your dog has fleas.

Your car's engine is about to explode.

You still need glasses, and if you don't stop you'll need dark glasses.

• @plazmo said:

@mallard said:

No, I assure you, this is highly unlikely to be Frontpage.  Most of these forms are hosted by internally built applications that would not be compatible with Frontpage.  Thank (insert deity name here) I never had to work with that CMS they used.  It seemed frightening from the extremely limited documentation available.

• I notice three other things:

"recieve" is spelled wrong in the image text at the top, although spelled correctly below it.

Two different sentences at the top and bottom say you'll receive a "key", while the title text and the push button say you'll receive the whole software package. Which is it?

The word "login" is used twice in one sentence as both a noun and a verb. Kind of like, "E-mail your e-mail to my e-mail" or "Smurf the smurf that smurfed smurf".  "Login now" ought to be "Log in now", and "create your login now" could be improved to "create an account now."