Neural Lace is actually in development

• As usual, there's a single paragraph worth of interesting (if overblown) scientific news, and the rest is pop culture clickbait crap.

• @cartman82 said:

As usual, there's a single paragraph worth of interesting (if overblown) scientific news, and the rest is pop culture clickbait crap.

Yep, that was information-low even by the standards of those sites. I liked the way they mentioned the least thought-provoking part of the Culture too...

Since I don't have access to Nature any more is anyone a subscriber and able to view the details?

Edit: Found this: https://cml.harvard.edu/assets/NatNano_2015_10_629-636_Liu_SI.pdf

Looks like there was only 16 electrodes in the mesh on this test.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Cursorkeys said:

Looks like there was only 16 electrodes in the mesh on this test.

Gotta start somewhere!

• Is it really groundbreaking? I mean, as far as neurology is concerned it looks tremendously useful, but in the "zomg TEH FUTURE IS NOW" sense?

IANANeurobiologist, but I've always thought that the barrier to being a cyborg is not poking electrodes into the brain, but actually interpreting the signals they receive.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Maciejasjmj said:

IANANeurobiologist, but I've always thought that the barrier to being a cyborg is not poking electrodes into the brain, but actually interpreting the signals they receive.

Those are actually the two key problems. Interpreting the signals is indeed a challenge (especially as no two brains are the same, other than in the grossest of senses) and the physical is also a series of challenges, such as preventing problems with infection and making sure that the electrodes don't directly damage the neurons they interface with.

I don't want one of these things in my head. Yet.

• @dkf said:

I don't want one of these things in my head. Yet.

Yeah, I'm waiting for the first P0rn application too.

• It's nice that we're one step closer to wanking simulator 2020.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.