[PBP] Release! Mafia

• ###Rules post
    ###Day 1

@Yamikuronue said:

Like, could we to a TDWTF Salem?
    Back in my college years, I helped out with running a few play-by-post Mafia games over at Something Awful, and am one of the current maintainers of VoteFinder, so I think we could probably put together a TDWTF Salem. Here, not in a separate game program.

Mafia is a deceptively simple game. The players are divided into two teams, the Town and the Mafia (or Scum). The Town know that their bucolic, peaceful village has been infiltrated by Mafia, who are trying to gain control by any means necessary -- including lethal ones. But they don't know who they are, only that they are here. So every day, the whole of the village (the Town and the Mafia) meet and vote on one person to lynch (or hang, or puppy-cuddle, or otherwise eliminate). But the Mafia need to take control quickly, so every night, they meet in secret and conspire on one person to kill (or shoot, or kitten-kiss, or otherwise eliminate). The game ends when a faction is unambiguously in control -- either the Mafia outnumber the Town and thus can eliminate them at will, or all of the Mafia have been eliminated. Generally, in an all-vanilla game, the Mafia are at a major advantage since they can coordinate their activities, so to counteract their strategic superiority various "power roles" are mixed in to add tactical advantages, and shenanigans ensue.

Though more commonly handled in person, or at least in real-ish time, it is both possible and unique to play by post in a forum. The ability to have a much longer time to participate elevates the intellectual level above mere "He's scum! Get him!" into a battle of wits, with its own terminology such as "WIFOMing" (after the poison wine scene in The Princess Bride) and "the EccoRaven gambit" (experienced players are likely to be seen as a threat; thus, if an experienced player survives to late game, it's likely that they are Mafia, as otherwise the Mafia would have eliminated them earlier) But that's not important; having fun is, and if not it'll make a great flamewar. The "daytime conversation" would happen in this thread, while any groups allowed to speak privately would have their own PM threads. As I do not have Magical Moderation Powers, it'd be on the honor system to follow whatever rules we decide on. "Days" will probably be 3 days, while nights will be 1 day.

The Mafia community I come from, Something Awful, prides itself on its games focusing on a good narrative, having the action ebb and flow around a unifying theme or story, with a lot of flexibility and innovation. However, in several other communities, games are rigorously controlled and must follow precise sets of instructions, placing great significance on outcomes, hosting leagues and declaring champions. I can follow either pattern.

We'll need at least seven people. If you want to play, please reply saying so (as well as your past experience with Mafia, Werewolf, or Salem), and vote in this poll:

[poll]

• Flexible, Narrative Play
    • Rigorous, Competitive Play
    • :getout:
      [/poll]

Thanks!

• why not? I'll play. I have played face to face mafia from time to time, but we eventually knew each other reactions, so it wasn't fun anymore...

• Real men PBP Diplomacy.

Count me in, i'm a Mafia casual.

• ÔÖ┐

• I played IRC werewolf, which had around 12 different special roles, like the village drunk, the gunman, the werecrow, the harlot, the seer, the cursed villager, the traitor, the guardian angel...

• area_deu

Played a few on some unknown near-dead forum. Had fun with it.

• Found the refsheet! http://wolf.xnrand.com/howtoplay
    Interestingly, the page details abilities as well as strategies.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@riking said:

Found the refsheet! http://wolf.xnrand.com/howtoplay

Read the URL as wolf.xrandr.com at first. Confusion was strong in this one.

• This post is deleted!

• Sounds fun count me in. No experience at all.

• Impossible Mission - B

I'm definitely in! My favourite Warcraft 3 mod was Dark Deeds (which was a variant of Werewolf), played that a lot. I also have a fair bit of experience with Mafia

• Never played it either, but eh, why not?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@TwelveBaud said:

experienced players are likely to be seen as a threat; thus, if an experienced player survives to late game, it's likely that they are Mafia, as otherwise the Mafia would have eliminated them earlier

Wouldn't sockpuppets mitigate this?

• sockdevs

discourse. what kind of math is that?

@accalia said:

Posting rhetorical questions to inflate the post count? ;)

• @accalia said:

Didn't we have this whole debate when the new-style polls went live? And we reported it, and it was CLOSED WONTFIX 99==100.

• mod

@riking said:

I played IRC werewolf,

This applies to me as well.

also I'm interested

also still mostly asleep

• I'll play, never played before, so no idea what i'm getting into

• I've played Mafia a few times face to face. This sounds interesting, count me in.

• @riking said:

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)
    Go nuts. Pull requests accepted; you know where. ;)@PJH said:
    Wouldn't sockpuppets mitigate this?
    Not when they cost :10bux: each and not when most people have played dozens of game days and hundreds of IRL days with each other.@Placeholder said:
    [...]
    I'm sorry, I really wanted to read your post but I got distracted... Did you pull a @PJH and create a script to upload a new avatar every week with one more circle inside it? That's awesome.

Looks like we've got enough, cool! I'll leave sign-ups open until Sunday around noon.

• @TwelveBaud said:

I'm sorry, I really wanted to read your post but I got distracted... Did you pull a @PJH and create a script to upload a new avatar every week with one more circle inside it? That's awesome.

No, but I should try something like that, now that you mentioned it.

<!-- *In the voice of the Halo announcer* Double Ban Triple Ban Overban Discotacular Banning Frenzy Discotrocity Discomajaro Discotastrophe Discopocalypse Disconaire Banning Frenzy Extermination ... -->

• area_deu

Was my comment counted as signing up? I'd like to play!

• I played Mafia a few times in college. I was always one of the first people to die. Then, if I wasn't, the rest of the town would kill me on the logic "He hasn't died yet so he must be one of the bad guys! Kill him now!" Apparently I always look guilty or something.

I've played face to face Mafia once and enjoyed it. Count me in

• This post is deleted!

I'm up for playing!

I've never played Warewolf, but I've played One Night Ultimate Warewolf, Resistance and Avalon, all of them IRL.

I love hidden role games :-)

• mod

I'll give it a shot Why not!

• Sup. I'm in.

Someone has also written a The Resistance online client if people want to play that.

• I think playing via Discourse would be the best.

Special rules variation: If you get a 500 OK while posting, you're dead.

• Right, but we're talking about playing it via Discourse. If we were playing Mafia/Werewolf online, we could just use the software mentioned in the Video game spotlight thread that this split off of (heck, it even has a new Forger role on the Mafia side since I originally posted about it).

• I agree that we should play via discourse. Just listing other options.

• I'd try it out

• mod

@abarker said:

I'll give it a shot Why not!

Forgot to mention that I've played face to face before, but it's been years.

• I haven't played any of those but I'm interested.

• I feel like we should have a game like this over at meta.discourse.org.
    Something like most posts in a week without being unveiled as a wtf'er (i know most of us still has accts over there anyway)

• mod

@swayde said:

I feel like we should have a game like this over at meta.discourse.org.
    Something like most posts in a week without being unveiled as a wtf'er (i know most of us still has accts over there anyway)

Can we try not to antagonize them any more? Just let them be? It would be nice if we didn't push them into using some sort of backdoor to kill the forum

• I was kidding.

• mod

@swayde said:

I was kidding.

You might have been, but some people might have taken your idea and actually done it. My comment was for those so inclined.

@izzion said:

Real men PBP Diplomacy

I would so do that. Have been trying FOR YEARS to get people to play IRL with no success.

I'll give the Mafia thing a whack.

• Diplomacy is not a good game for solidifying friendships. It's a great game to play with people you secretly hate.

This applies to almost all my IRL friends. The feeling is mutual, allegedly.

• So, we need to get @sam and @end back for a game of Diplomacy?

Oh, right, secretly.

Another newb here who's willing to play.

• I apologize for the delay; my fiancee is sick, so I've been busy helping her out around the apartment. I should have an OP and roles sent out by around 7 tonight. Thanks!

• mod

@TwelveBaud said:

sent out by around 7 tonight

Time zone?

• <!--Geddit?-->

• Well, judging by the fact that he seems to use 12 hour time, I'm going to assume it's a left-pondian time zone. At which point you have a high likelihood of him being either UTC-4 or UTC-7, given the population distribution of the Americas (and largely North America, where the highest density of people working in TDWTFian careers is). So I'm going to bet UTC-4, since everyone knows that Left Coastians are all crazy and anti-social, and thus much less likely to organize something like this.

• sockdevs

@izzion said:

So I'm going to bet UTC-4, since everyone knows that Left Coastians are all crazy and anti-social, and thus much less likely to organize something like this.

OI! I, for once, do NOT resemble that remark!

crazy... well you have me there.... but anti-social?! NEVAR!

• I may or may not have had a certain other known and loved Left Coastian WTDWTFer in mind...

• area_deu

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.