MyBB

• Continuing the discussion from Ok, Flarum. Other suggestions please.:

@Magus said:

Just took a quick look through wikipedia, and they don't seem to even acknowledge Dischord. Of what they know about, only MyBB and Vanilla looked to be any good, apart from Flarum's ancestry.

I'm a member of a forum that uses mybb, and I even wrote one and a half plugins for it so I feel like I should at least give a run-down of this one.

It's fairly old with active support, so virtually all bugs are edge cases where the post parser barfs up or race conditions that are hard to trigger, so it comes across as being fairly stable.
    It has pages, no infiniscroll, private messaging, and uses BBCode for markup.
    It can handle large threads to a point; it seems to get a bit unstable at about 150k posts or so when users are still posting. I've also seen a locked thread which was created by merging three threads of 100k posts, and it takes about a second to fully load each page. I'm not sure how accurate that is though, as the admin has made a number of custom modifications to the DB.
    It is worth noting that the official mybb forum has ~85,000 registered users, ~1,000,000 posts, ~150,000 threads, and seems to be relatively fast.

Moderation tools I can't really give much detail on, as I have never been a moderator on a MyBB forum.

Plugins:
    Virtually all core functionality can be intercepted by plugins, and it has a fairly large amount of plugins lying around. I know for a fact that it has likes, spoilers, notifications/mentions, and "expand more" quotes at the very least.
    Unfortunately, all of them are buggy to some extent, and for good reason: It's actually quite WTFy to write new plugins. Documentation is lacking and each plugin essentially has to look at all the global variables littered about in the place where the plugin is invoked. This usually means reading the source code of a 2000 line file of spaghetti-php with no functions.
    The database abstraction they offer up doesn't let you use prepared statements either; it's all string escaping.

Visual customisation:
    You can change basically the entire structure of the HTML that is sent out to the users, but it's done by having hundreds of HTML snippets with PHP variables stored in the DB. These snippets are then fetched and eval()'d as PHP strings in some specific order. Again due to poor documentation, knowing how/what to change in these templates usually involves diving through source code.

Dogfooding: Kind of. They want any bug reports posted to their main forum, and then they duplicate them onto github issue tracking when they verify them.

In conclusion: it's actually a fairly decent forum when it's up and running, and can be customised quite heavily if you're willing to put in a lot of effort trying to work out how everything fits together.
    Knowing this community though, that would most likely be an excessively large amount of time wasted for everyone involved, especially to set up the theme for the first time. It's very much a "get it running how you want it and don't touch it again" type of forum, and as such I don't recommend it as a replacement here.

• @Salamander said:

Moderation tools I can't really give much detail on, as I have never been a moderator on a MyBB forum.

I do. I'm currently and admin on a MyBB forum. the tools are good, altough a bit clunky from time to time.

i got the same feeling about writing plugins( I've done 2 or 3 of them. and about a ton of "patchs" to modify core functionality) it's powerful, but a mess.
    we're currently in a situation in which we can't upgrade because it would break half of the forum customizations...

the code up to 1.8(the current stable branch) is a mess, and a bad one. they're rewriting it in the 2.0 version, but it is in pre-alpha version, and it might be a long time until it has even basic features sorted out.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Jarry said:

the code up to 1.8(the current stable branch) is a mess, and a bad one. they're rewriting it in the 2.0 version, but it is in pre-alpha version, and it might be a long time until it has even basic features sorted out.

OK, I think we should vote NO on this one; that's a stinker of an issue.

• Seconded

• Frist!

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

If voting for the free packages was a thing, I'd put MyBB just above phpBB - and a long way below (in no particular order) - SMF, NodeBB, Flarum, FluxBB... hell even bbPress would be higher up in my estimation :trolleybus:

Seriously though, please no.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.