NNTP server?

• Just to toss up an oddball, we could set up an NNTP server?

• Pro: Everyone gets to pick their own frontend

• Con: dead technology?

• Wasn't someone doing a Discourse NNTP gateway?

Yeah, bad ideas is :arrows:

• @loopback0 said:

Wasn't someone doing a Discourse NNTP gateway?

cc @OffByOne ?

• Impossible Mission Players - A

Network News Transport Protocol?
    Darn, it's been a while since I heard that term. I think that was when I was running my own BBS people could dial-in to...

• area_deu

NNTP doesn't do all that shit we are accustomed to now. And the critical point in forum software (for me) is the frontend, not the backend.

• @ChrisH said:

And the critical point in forum software (for me) is the frontend, not the backend.

Well, that's a point in favour of letting people pick their own frontend to access the same content.

• Badges and likes would be a problem. I don't know whether modern NNTP clients handle HTML, though I've seen avatars years ago (resent on each post).

• @PleegWat said:

Pro: Everyone gets to pick their own frontend

Are there any good ones?

• :flags:

• OK, to take this thread seriously for a second:

I don't know much about NNTP, but the fact that it was designed almost 30 years ago tells me that it's most likely an outdated piece of shit with more legacy features than useful ones, and a pain in the ass to work with today, like all other protocols from that time (looking at you, SMTP). So let's just discard that idea.

But a standard protocol to get categories, threads, "cooked" posts and send new posts (like you can do in any forum software already), would actually be a nice thing to have. You could incorporate it into existing forum software to allow people to read it and write posts from any client. Visit a Discourse forum, click a button, and it turns into a phpBB forum (or viceversa if you like).

• You're looking for WTForum concept 2, I believe.

• @anonymous234 said:

Visit a Discourse forum, click a button, and it turns into a phpBB forum (or viceversa if you like).

I think you'd basically have to impersonate a database. Postgres and MySQL at least, with all the different schemas somehow handled at the level of such "proxy".

That's so crazy, it might actually work, you know...

• You may be looking for RSS.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@PleegWat said:

I don't know whether modern NNTP clients handle HTML

Yes, they do. Usual MIME stuff, almost the same as email (the underlying message format is shared).

• Letting your prejudices get the better of you?

There are a lot of things that NNTP cannot do, such as likes and real-time updates. But just because it is old does not mean it is bad. In those days, protocols were developed to do one thing, and do it well. This means you have any number of clients, allowing you to format your posts in any number of ways, only leaving the message transport to NNTP.

I am not suggesting we should use NNTP for WTDWTF (actually, there's a little nerd with an abacus in me rooting for exactly this option), but it deserves to be looked at in slightly more detail before dismissing it.

• @Maciejasjmj said:

@loopback0 said:
    Wasn't someone doing a Discourse NNTP gateway?

cc @OffByOne ?

You have summoned me yadda yadda...

I have a half functional Discourse to NNTP gateway. Development of it got frozen, because Real Life interfered. I should be able to pick up developing Any Time Soon now.

I have posted some screenshots in https://what.thedailywtf.com/t/discourse-to-nntp-gateway/4660 for those interested.

• For what it's worth:

• You'd probably want a web frontend if you actually went NNTP, but that should be able to post as well.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.