NodeBB

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

Because what says :wtf: like "javascript forum"?

Dammit, people, put links in!

-- bz

• It worries me. It looks more closely related to this thing than even Flarum (Except for the part where pieces of the UI do what you expect).

It and Vanilla are definitely the flashiest ones I looked at, though Vanilla has a dumb sidebar that really stands out because it has a billion random colors.

• @Magus said:

pieces of the UI do what you expect

:laughing:

@Magus said:

a billion random colors
    Clown vomit!

• Looks okay. The posts are wide as fuck, which would probably please @PJH and piss off anyone else.

@media (min-width: 1200px)
    .container {
        width: 770px;
    }

and I can get behind it.

• I like the wide posts. Discourse wastes silly amounts of space by default.

• It's one thing I don't mind with Discourse. I prefer my posts no wider than my field of view, so that I don't have to move my eyes back and forth.

Other than that, it seems like an improvement. Not sure about this vs. Flarum - the latter is still immature and might turn out to be better in the long run, but it's a bit of a mess now...

Also, installation guide is like 2 pages complete with creating a DO droplet, which is nice.

• The nodebb community site is kind of slow sometimes. Sort of discoursey. END only takes you to the bottom of the currently loaded stuff, but you can use their control at the top to jump to first / last / page / specific post. Here's a 10K post thread that I found:

• Uhhhh....wat?

Filed Under: Jamming to Kesha

• I don't even know, and I don't think I want to know. I hope it's just IT being weird.

• Looks like what happens on a bunch of things when my work proxy blocks a site's CSS.

• Took me 2 goes with the bloody captcha :laughing:

• Where's the @Kuro-bar?

At least the feature for marking shit read is less retarded.

• Shiiiiiiit. You can choose pagination.

• Obviously, they're Doing It Wrong.

• @loopback0 said:

Shiiiiiiit. You can choose pagination.

Which probably also means nice little chunks of JSON instead of barfing all the post IDs.

I'm sold.

• sockdevs

So I was playing around on their own instance when this happened:

Not sure exactly how I did it, but I was dragging shit around on my Surface; as bugs go, it's not one most users will see, and to be fair, I was pissing about :smile:

• Need to sign in to view image

• sockdevs

…rassen frassen Slack…

• If anyone fancies it: http://discuss.thereal.wtf:4567/

This seems more complete than Flarum - especially the admin side, there are lots of plugins available (although if they're useful or not I've not bothered to check).

edit: No likes?Seems to be a plugin - basically the nodebb voting system without downvotes

• mod

Positive: You can vote a post up or down. (like/dislike)
    Negative: It appears that this is not restricted to logged in users, though that may be configurable.

@loopback0 said:

edit: No likes?Seems to be a plugin - basically the nodebb voting system without downvotes

Oh. Hmm.

• Upvoting/downvoting is default, I messed around with the likes plugin (upvotes only) but don't seem to have done it properly because any post which loads while the topic is open has the up/down votes but all the rest have likes :laughing:

I think that's user error though as swapping from up/downvotes to likes required editing the template for the theme.

• Entered a topic from a different position to your last? It's got it covered.

• @loopback0 said:

Entered a topic from a different position to your last? It's got it covered.

It seems to go away the moment you scroll though. Which is weird, but likely scriptable around...

If we stick to it, we should prep our customizations before the rollout. There's quite a bunch of things to be done.

• mod

@Maciejasjmj said:

There's quite a bunch of things to be done.

Not unusual when doing an initial setup of a highly customizable software platform.

In any case, my only major concern with NodeBB so far is the read position issue. If you wait too long, you could easily end up needing to scroll to your post.

• @PJH said:

Vomiting all over my browser history (ChrisH)

• Yeah, that's irritating.

• I get the same thing on my iPad trying to scroll down in a 2 post topic. Actually, that seems to be the same as the swipe left action, just at the top.

General findings:

It seems to weird out when I swipe right to left, which is very easy to trip trying to scroll down with my left thumb.

It doesn't seem to show the topic list when you do back/forward navigation, but the posts and category list are fine.

Lemme register and try posting. OK, posting seems "OK" as well as it can on iPad, though after posting/editing I was not where I clicked "reply", which is annoying but not a dealbreaker.

Oh, the top menu in the topic list, where you can do the "mark as read," can't be accessed on iPad, because the header bar is larger than the padding they do for the header. It's like that everywhere, which is kinda bad, because that kills some navigation too.

Here's a bit of a deal breaker, seems like image uploads are broken: http://discuss.thereal.wtf:4567/topic/76/ipad-header-bar-issue

• And it does it even with pagination enabled.

• sockdevs

@ChaosTheEternal said:

It seems to weird out when I swipe right to left

Same here; seems to have something to do with a slide-out menu, judging by the devtools.

• @loopback0 said:

pagination

Unpossible!

• area_deu

The header bar in their default theme breaks EVERY FUCKING THING on less-than-full-hd screens.

This upsets me very very very much.

Workaround? Zoom out to, say, 30%, hit the previously covered settings button on your profile and change theme to something else.

• We can probably get rid of said default theme altogether. It's ugly anyway.

• area_deu

It really ruined their first impression for me, though.

Hey, let's not give a fuck about people with less-than-latest-and-greatest equipment

Pix: http://discuss.thereal.wtf:4567/topic/91/request-loopback-change-default-theme-for-this

• Yeah, the default theme looks like broken CSS. I think @loopback0 had a dark one as default though?

We should probably stick to a single theme anyway if we want to avoid doing our CSS hacks 20 times.

CSS does seem to be all over the place:

Fucking hell, it's Bootstrap! And all of the themes are from Bootswatch, which I did use and customize myself and they are all high quality stuff. How the hell did they break that?

• We can fix the frontend with almost zero effort. The backend is more important - and it's Node, which I'm not much of a fan of, but it means our resident Node crazies can get their hands on it.

Did anyone actually look at the code? Is that CPS madness? I'm ok with poking around JS myself, but CPS... I'll never understand that shit.

• There's a fairly decent plug-in architecture - I don't know much Javascript, but it looks like C#'s event-driven methodology. You hook to things like saving a new post and your code gets run with proper event arguments, and you can reference the parent context somehow too.

• @aliceif said:

The header bar in their default theme breaks EVERY FUCKING THING on less-than-full-hd screens.

This upsets me very very very much.

The one it uses by default is different, I changed it a couple of times - hadn't checked it on not-HD though.
    Set it to Cerulean which is the one I was using anyway.

• area_deu

@loopback0 said:

The one it uses by default is different,

Oh ... ok.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Maciejasjmj said:

We can fix the frontend with almost zero effort. The backend is more important

Both are important, but different people work on different bits. (You do not want me working on anything front-end. While I know it is important, I just don't give enough of a shit to do a good job of tweaking things provided I can read the content. :smiley:)

You're right that a broken backend is harder to fix, and a wonky connection between front and back is the worst.

• mod

@loopback0 said:

The one it uses by default is different,

What you did there. I see it.

• Pretty much the only big problem I see with NodeBB right now (granted, with minimal use so far) is the broken image uploading.

• There are a couple of plugins for image uploads, I might play with those later.

• mod

The piss-poor read position handling is a pretty big issue. But I do think NodeBB is our best choice so far.

• I've not tried it yet but there's a plugin to import from another forum which needs the 'old' data exporting as JSON, the format of which is actually documented, so at least that might be easier.

• If all the image plugins are broken (meaning, you can post at most one image per post, unless you want multiples of the same image), that's a bit of a deal breaker until it is fixed.

Actually, looks like it might just be uploads from iOS. In which case, WONTFIX_NO_ONE_CARES_HIPSTER.

• @ChaosTheEternal said:

WONTFIX_NO_ONE_CARES_HIPSTER.

These devs might actually give a shit.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.