If Windows is Updated, Only Windows Users Will Have Updated Windows

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Polygeekery said:

But, but, but...you can shave 10 seconds off of your boot time. It takes a few hours to upgrade, so after 1,080 boots you are saving time. Do we have to spoon feed you?

Going all duffle's avocado here, not all time is valued the same. The upgrade time could be largely spent when you're not doing intending to do anything with the computer (e.g., when you're asleep) yet the boot time would be saved at a point when you would actually want to use the system. That would be a reasonable transfer of time.

I have no idea whether the actual process of installing the update would run that well unattended. Major OS updates still scare me a bit; I'm never quite sure whether I'll be able to recover if something goes wrong (these days, it's especially if the drivers are unhappy, as filesystem implementations are much more stable than they used to be).

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

The Windows 10 upgrade is intended to be run unattended except for kicking it off and a couple of questions during the first boot. I kicked it off and just left it to it on my desktop and went back to it later to find it completed.

• @flabdablet said:

Who here has ever received any useful technical support from MS? I tried, once. Utter waste of time. Google works better.

👋

It took 3 hours and 5 transfers, but the end result was helpful.

I was trying to reactivate Office on a rebuild after a HD failure, but they couldn't get it to activate. It took them that long to determine that I had been incorrectly given a volume license in a retail box. I decided that it was worth my time at that point to upgrade from 2007 to 2010.

• @xaade said:

And your're always speaking

FTFY

• @abarker said:

It took 3 hours and 5 transfers, but the end result was helpful.

Did you manage to bill them for 3 hours of your time lost to this nonsense ?

My time is too valuable to deal with this license bullshit

• I only reboot when Windows downloads an update.

And it's such a hassle, I've decided that I will forego Windows and buy a whole new set of problems.

Just as soon as the reboot bothers me again.

• Ok, I'm going to start using you are instead.

Those words only really save time while speaking. While writing, they have only served to introduce errors.