So I wrote my own forum (software)...

• In case you've been wondering why I've not been as active here over the last few months as I once was (yeah, right)...

I got laid off from my old job in March, so I found myself with much more free time than I really knew what to do with. And, what with all the Discocritiquing which goes on around here, I found myself thinking "how hard would it be to actually write some decent forum software?", so:

Feature List:

• pagination of threads
    • no Markdown (yes, this is a feature)
    • no toasters
    • proper tags
    • server-side post rendering
    • no "civilizing" agenda

https://t3k4.com (or http://t3k4.com, for that matter...) is now open for business. It's capable of staying up for days at a time, and can withstand an attack from http://browsershots.org/, so the logical next step is to see what happens if more than two users try to use it at the same time.

It's a bit bare-bones at the moment, but you should be able to sign up, read threads and make new posts in threads and so on. You can @mention, and there's some limited oneboxing (for youtube, twitter etc...) The site seems mostly stable, so I'm looking for about 5-10 people to spend an hour or so a day just posting and trying stuff out, giving feedback and helping to beta test before I "offically" launch in the next few weeks (and longterm, I'll probably need some moderators if that appeals to anyone—I'd have to implement moderator functionality first though...).

Seeing as this crowd has a proud heritage of breaking forums, it seems (somewhat) appropriate to give you guys the first crack at it. Also, I actually am looking for feedback on how to make forum software which is non-irritating, so I solemnly promise not to JDGI and Jeff all your posts to oblivion. (And I won't delete your bugs for "arguing" either!) I'm not hugely interested in "monetizing" it at the moment or anything like that, I'm just trying to explore the concept of building a community where the software isn't actively detrimental to that goal.

I'm still working on emulating some of the more advanced Discofunctionality like jumping randomly 50 posts forward or back for no apparent reason in the thread you were trying to read, but I don't have a whole team of elite ruby engineers, it's just me in my shed (disclaimer: I don't actually even have a shed).

If the site is actually down, let me know here, and I'll put it back up (assuming I'm awake at the time, which I should be for the next 6 hours or so).

For obligatory added WTF value: the server-side code is written in Nemerle, and it's running on Mono (I know, :wtf:, right?)

• Hmmm, I can't sign up. All entered with no errors but the button is still disabled.

Edit: If I fiddle the disabled off it I get 'Bad Request!'. Guess you'll have a log with what it doesn't like?

Edit2: Not working in Chrome or Firefox.

• I'll have a look...

• I'll have a look...

EDIT: It looks like you created a user called 'Cursorkeys'? And I just signed up as 'testuser1' from Chrome, so maybe is sorta half-not-working.

Probably going to need more logging... :``/

• It seems I failed the idiot test...

I didn't see the 'please enter a symbol'. Just saw the long crack time and the green password bar.

@tar said:

It looks like you created a user called 'Cursorkeys'?

Yep, that was me.

• @Cursorkeys said:

Just saw the long crack time and the green password bar.

Actually, I should probably make the bar not-green if the password requirements aren't satisfied....

• So I'm guessing that 12AM EDT/5AM GMT might not be the busiest time in the world for most people, eh?

Filed under: the internet transcends time boundaries

• Only comment so far : make error text red. I presumed the password requirements were just a hint, but I was forced to make the password harder, before being able to submit. (it didn't take too long to figure out - annoying none the less)

The entire thread title should be a link - annoying on mobile, I also don't care at all what the thread number is.

Styling on 📱 :

• @swayde said:

make error text red

That's a valid request - will try and push a fix out in the next 24hrs, hopefully tomorrow morning...

• @swayde said:

Styling on 📱 :

Yah, it's a bit poor isn't it? I'll see what I can do...

• There is no error message if connection is lost, buttons just don't work. An error message would be helpful.
    Post time is server time, and not my local time.

• @swayde said:

An error message would be helpful.

OK, can you give me an idea of which buttons you were using, maybe the URL of the page you're on?

• Reply and like buttons http://t3k4.com/th/5#3
    Do feel free to wipe the mess I've made 😆

Overall I quite like it. Seems snappy

• Ah, I see... yeah, I'll have to clean it up in the morning, it's 12:30am now :``D

You can go nuts in this thread if you like though, it's a sandbox... https://t3k4.com/th/1

• Will do

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@tar said:

I got laid off from my old job in March, so I found myself with much more free time than I really knew what to do with. And, what with all the Discocritiquing which goes on around here, I found myself thinking "how hard would it be to actually write some decent forum software?"

At least you have been keeping busy, and most great ventures start with the thought, "How hard can it be...?"

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@tar said:

I don't have a whole team of elite ruby engineers

Neither does Jeff. He might fit the criteria if you remove "elite" from the qualifiers. ;)

• @tar said:

I'm just trying to explore the concept of building a community where the software isn't actively detrimental to that goal.

To be fair, a common enemy is often a great way to build solidarity.

• @Cursorkeys said:

I didn't see the 'please enter a symbol'. Just saw the long crack time and the green password bar.

Yeah, this is making me mad. Crack time: centuries, but I have to add a symbol? :rage:

• And still doesn't do anything when I click the "Sign Up" button.

• @tar said:

the server-side code is written in Nemerle, and it's running on Mono

yay!

• OMG the "secret" on the signup form is not mandatory. A signup that trusts me to remember my own password! At last! AWESOME SAUCE!

• Fastmail thinks your confirmation mail is spam (score of 07.3)

• @boomzilla said:

To be fair, a common enemy is often a great way to build solidarity.

But at the same time, you can never be successful designing a project against something instead of for something. You have to have a little more to the ethos than, "don't do what Discourse does".

• Have to admit that's a fucking good start though.

As is t3k4, on first impressions. Nice job!

• Wait, it's named "t3k4"? I already have problems with a forum named tttkkkk. Is it pronounced like the noise you make when you stick your fingers into a live light socket?

• If you want a four-character .com these days, there's not many options open to you... :``/

• @boomzilla said:

Yeah, this is making me mad. Crack time: centuries, but I have to add a symbol? :rage:

I guess I could consider relaxing that restriction—it's not exactly guarding state secrets or anything...

• Why does it need to be four characters?

• Given that you've gone to the trouble of using zxcvbn anyway, I can't see why you'd need more in the way of due diligence than just relying on its evaluation.

• @blakeyrat said:

Is it pronounced like the noise you make when you stick your fingers into a live light socket?

I've been pronouncing it "teeka", if that helps.

• It's just weird that you have a security thing that says it'll be centuries before my password is cracked (was autogenerated by keepass) and saying that it's insecure. If you're going to use zxcvbn, then use it, I say!

BTW, I just went back and tried to sign up (thinking that maybe the previous errors had prevented a successful signup or something) and still nothing.

The only thing I see it: "Email: (Is this a valid email address?)" (It is.)

No errors in the console. I'm using Chrome 44 on Linux, BTW.

• @flabdablet said:

I've been pronouncing it "teeka", if that helps.

Who have you been talking to about this to have a preferred pronunciation already? It was just posted yesterday.

• Oooh oooh oooh ooh you're putting the currently viewed post in my browser's address bar without spamming my history! +10 antidiscomarks!

• zxcvbn only runs on the client, so I'd have to reimplement it in .NET for the server-side password validation. Then again, if some's so detemined to use mypassword123 that they're willing to bypass the client, then maybe I shouldn't stand in their way...

• I mumble to myself constantly.

it's not ok because if they take my stapler then i'll set the building on fire

• @tar said:

if some's so detemined to use mypassword123 that they're willing to bypass the client, then maybe I shouldn't stand in their way...

I wouldn't. Never get between an idiot and its cubs.

• @boomzilla said:

BTW, I just went back and tried to sign up (thinking that maybe the previous errors had prevented a successful signup or something) and still nothing.

I'll take a look over the signup screen again, either lunchtime or this evening—there must be something in there which is preventing you from signing up...

• Maybe you should have turned off zxcvbn's wingnut detecticator.

• @tar said:

If you want a four-character .com these days, there's not many options open to you... :/

True; but is having a short name preferable over having a memorable one?

Because, let me tell ya, I'd remember "expertsexchange.com" a million times before remembering t...4k3? once. I've already forgotten it.

• @flabdablet said:

i'll set the building on fire

More power to you. In fact, why wait?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp9K4-DHsBA

• @blakeyrat said:

expertsexchange expert-sex-change

Filed under: things i was forced to do

• sockdevs

@swayde said:

@blakeyrat said:
    expertsexchange expert-sex-change

Filed under: things i was forced to do

so i'm not the only one whose brain insists on reading that domain name that way.

good to know

• Yes, thank you, that was the joke.

• Anybody know of a good online source for pens?

• @accalia said:

so i'm not the only one whose brain insists on reading that domain name that way.

good to know

No. That's presumably why they stopped using that domain.

Like www.penisland.net, it's a pretty well known example of a domain name that has an accidental second meaning.

edit: :hanzo:

• They specialize in wood!

• 100% satisfaction guarantee!

• I'ma stop now because I don't want to be that guy that mentions virgin timbers

oops

• How about you stop because the joke was fucking made, we all had a chuckle, now move the fuck on? Talk about the forum.

I apologize for posting that, I forgot the type of people who inhabit this forum, I should have known better.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.