Lost in translation?

• I was reading an article about Saddam Hussein's execution the other day when something I read almost gave me an aneurysm.  From http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2006-12-30-saddam-iraq_x.htm?POE=NEWISVA

Maliki had rejected calls that Saddam be spared, telling families of people killed during the dictator's rule that would be an insult to the victims.

"Our respect for human rights requires us to execute him, and there will be no review or delay in carrying out the sentence," Maliki's office quoted him as saying during a meeting with relatives before the hanging.

Is this something that just wasn't translated quite right?  I think I know what he means, but that sentence doesn't make sense.  Shouldn't your respect for human rights require you to NOT execute him?

• Is this from the same people that "Invaded Iraq to make the country a safer place"?

If so, it is run-of-the-mill. 

• I think it does make sense. He propably talks about the human rights applied to Saddam's victims and not to Saddam himself. You could enter some complicated and propably flame war affine philosophical discussion about if you can argue this way or not, true, but I think semantically it is correct.

• No, you don't understand.  You see, we invaded Iraq because they had weapons.  After we invaded they didn't have weapons.  Coincidence?  I think not!  /sarcasm

• Didn't you know, everyone on the internet is a bleeding heart liberal who thinks it's okay that Saddam murdered millions of people.

• LOL.  Yeah, and my only regret is that I didn't get to sit on Saddam's lap and have him sing me lullabies.

• Well, it is claimed by some that Saddam got a fair trial with due process, etc., etc.  And there are those who claim that a death sentence after a fair trial with due process etc. etc. is compatible with human rights.

I'm just saying.

• This is a job for...

enum verdict {

Guilty,

NotGuilty,

FileNotFound

};

• [quote user="DaveK"]

enum verdict {

Guilty,

NotGuilty,

BodiesNotFound

};

[/quote]

I've corrected that for you.

• The only WTF I see in that quote is the OP using this forum to deliver a political message.

• @Isuwen said:

Didn't you know, everyone on the internet is a bleeding heart liberal who thinks it's okay that Saddam murdered millions of people.

I hope the "millions of people" part is exaggeration as well, because there are really very few people in the history of the world that have killed or ordered the deaths of millions of people.