Mrguyorama defends Gibberish

• My favorite tiny USB storage is this one:

Every time I look at mine, I just become ridiculously pleased by the way the μSD card fits into the space occupied by an inert block of plastic in a standard USB A plug.

These look cute, though I do wonder whether a tiny little flash drive trying to do boot/root work is ever going to stop fartarsing around with its erase blocks for long enough that USB3 makes a noticeable difference:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDCZ43-016G-G46-Ultra-Flash-Drive/dp/B00LLEN5FQ/ref=pd_sim_147_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1VK5FWP795NWWDD2JWVX

• @dkf said:

The machine won't ever run Windows

That sounds like a nice feature 😃

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@TimeBandit said:

That sounds like a nice feature 😃

Our users use a mix of things on their desktops/laptops, Windows, OSX and Linux, as well as a bunch of mobile gizmos too. We've got exactly zero mandate to change that. So we make our stuff work with whatever. Our servers mostly run Linux (plus a smattering of other operating systems when some piece of software needs it) for historical reasons, and our physical experimental systems mostly run Windows because that's what the vendor ships it with (and those systems aren't ever going to be upgraded because they work now and we want to lock experimental protocols in precisely). We've also got a whole bunch of different VLANs and firewalls in place, and will be setting up a bunch of web services to manage everything (data, metadata, lab notes, etc.) in the next few months.

But we need some things to bridge between the bits. Something to act as an integration point and link between different firewalled zones. Something to make one system talk to another when they really haven't got much in common at all. Hence my (troublesome) little Linux box, that's going to sit somewhere quiet and ship the data from one networked FS to another, and make sure that someone's actually recorded the metadata that they were supposed to.

• @dkf said:

Our users use a mix of things on their desktops/laptops, Windows, OSX and Linux, as well as a bunch of mobile gizmos too. We've got exactly zero mandate to change that. So we make our stuff work with whatever. Our servers mostly run Linux (plus a smattering of other operating systems when some piece of software needs it) for historical reasons

Our servers pretty much all run Linux, except our AD, Exchange and SharePoint.

One thing that convinced me to work here (beside working with Linux servers) is that they gave me a desktop with a fresh install of Windows 7 but then told me : if you want, you can install whatever you like. Good thing I always carry a USB key with Mint on me 😉