Sexiïst air conditioning

• @Maciejasjmj said:

So every time you replace your toilet, there's a 50 percent chance you'll end up pissing in the sink until the next replacement?

I have no idea how you got from what I said to here. Additionally, I'm not sure how it's relevant to my original question.

• @another_sam said:

What if the flow through the radiator pipes is also the flow to the shower?

I presume you are kidding, but there is usually only one heat exchanger where I'm from.
    The water flows in from the heat/power plant and flows around the house. All radiators are usually connected in parallel. This means you can adjust them individually.
    Usually there is only one water exchanger, but there could be more.
    The water exchanger moves heat from the dirty hot water to the cold potable water. Thus hot shower water is available.
    The water from the plant is dirty as shit, it's literally black. I would never shower in it.
    Here it also regularly contains green colour, to detect leaks.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

In the same circuit? That's disgusting.

You'll have a hot-water tank somewhere with a heat exchanger coil in it. The hot water for showering and washing will be separate from the skanky stuff in the radiator circuit. It's also pretty common to have a heating element in the hot-water tank as well to act as a backup; it costs more to use it, but at least it'll work if the gas is off.

Fancier (more expensive) systems will be able to run the washing water heating and room heating parts separately. We don't have one of those. 😄 More complicated stuff is definitely possible, such as if you also have a coal/wood fire (for hipster looks) equipped with back boiler.

• @dcon said:

Some of those carnival mirrors can perform miracles...

Better yet: You can stick the cover of a beauty magazine on your mirror.

Filed under: Beauty is in the magazine of the holder or so

• @another_sam said:

Other than you have presumably shat in one and not the other? Not much.

Also, I have washed my face in one and not the other.

• @Polygeekery said:

This post should read "former employer, who is now bankrupt, because no one will work under those conditions in first-world nations".

You read TDWTF and you still believe there are conditions under which no one will work?

@Planar said:

You read TDWTF and you still believe there are conditions under which no one will work?

The thread with the monitored toilet usage on the old forums was one of the few to truly surprise me.

• I have to be live that's bullshit. And I'm annoyed there was no conclusion..

• @dkf said:

monitored toilet usage

I wouldn't say I've seen it all, but such stuff isn't really new to me:

• @RTapeLoadingError said:

@another_sam said:
    Other than you have presumably shat in one and not the other? Not much.

Also, I have washed my face in one and not the other.

You wash your face in the toilet bowl?

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@locallunatic said:

When the shower isn't running what do you do to keep water flowing at that rate through the radiators? Otherwise you still get the issues of warm not quite standing water in the radiator, which is why some have issues with the idea of using it.

https://www.taco-hvac.com/products/water_circulation_pumps__circulators/index.html

Ever taken a shower in a high-rise hotel in the winter? There is a pretty good chance that the water for that shower has also passed through a radiator on its way to you.

@Polygeekery said:

Ever taken a shower in a high-rise hotel in the winter? There is a pretty good chance that the water for that shower has also passed through a radiator on its way to you.

Not that I mean to doubt you, but I really suspect this isn't true, at least for the sampling of hotels I've stayed in in various winters in the US (mostly near Chicago, for some crazy reason). If you're an early riser, as anyone still with jetlag after flying in from Europe will be, you'll find that you have to run the shower for quite a while to get the water to a sensible temperature.

That hotel shower, it's warm because someone else down the corridor had a shower first.

• @swayde said:

I presume you are kidding

Half kidding, half trolling (it's what we do here) and half curious why people think there's some fundamental difference between water pipes and other water pipes.

A system designed to use radiator water as shower water wouldn't have dirty water because it would never come in contact with dirty stuff. It would be fresh because the water wouldn't be recirculated forever in a closed system. Plumbing would be up to sanitary standards and so I would expect the water quality would be about the same.

In reality there may be reasons such as cost that systems aren't set up this way, in which case I'd expect they use a heat exchanger instead.

Disclosure of ignorance: Hot water radiators are an exceedingly rare heating method in Australia and so I have no experience with them.

@dkf said:

Not that I mean to doubt you, but I really suspect this isn't true, at least for the sampling of hotels I've stayed in in various winters in the US (mostly near Chicago, for some crazy reason).

I have no doubt that it depends on where you stay, and when that hotel was built. Since you brought up Chicago though, I can tell you for certain that the Hilton on Michigan Avenue in Chicago has that sort of arrangement. The heating and the hot water supplies are intermixed. It is the hotel that we stay at when we visit Chicago, and I have had the chance to meet the design firm (Holabird and Root) of the building.

Hell, such an arrangement is not even that uncommon for older homes on the east coast, to have domestic hot water and hydronic heat intermixed. I know the British would scoff at this, because their hot water used to be in an open top tank and subject to contamination, but here in the US we have used closed-loop systems. ;)

@another_sam said:

half curious why people think there's some fundamental difference between water pipes and other water pipes.

Possibly the same reason that there was an episode of Seinfeld where they discussed how they thought that shower drain pipes and toilet drain pipes went to different places because George got caught peeing in the gym shower. Just ignorance.

• BINNED

@another_sam said:

In reality there may be reasons such as cost that systems aren't set up this way, in which case I'd expect they use a heat exchanger instead.

I don't know about you guys but at my house the radiator tap water is set at a higher temperature then then the hot water exit.

• @Luhmann said:

I don't know about you guys but at my house the radiator tap water is set at a higher temperature then then the hot water exit.

Tempering valve! Stored hot water systems have them anyway because they have to hit something like 75C every 24 hours to kill legionella but need to deliver water at no more than 50C.

Site is read-only, huh? We'll see about that.

• BINNED

@another_sam said:

Tempering valve!

No idea, it is not a stored water system. You can set different max delivery temperatures for both hot water and heating and heating was set higher by the installation guy.

@Polygeekery said:

Since you brought up Chicago though, I can tell you for certain that the Hilton on Michigan Avenue in Chicago has that sort of arrangement.

Hmm. I've not been in that one. I've been in a few others downtown and several out in the 'burbs.

@Polygeekery said:

Hell, such an arrangement is not even that uncommon for older homes on the east coast, to have domestic hot water and hydronic heat intermixed. I know the British would scoff at this, because their hot water used to be in an open top tank and subject to contamination, but here in the US we have used closed-loop systems.

If it's closed-loop, that means that you must be using a heat exchanger to warm the shower water. Which is what I'd consider normal. If you were taking hot water directly out, it wouldn't be closed-loop (by definition).

Here, different heating engineers have different preferences for whether systems should be fully closed loop or not.

• That’d be Aldi, right? Oh, Lidl — same difference.

• @another_sam said:

A system designed to use radiator water as shower water wouldn't have dirty water because it would never come in contact with dirty stuff. It would be fresh because the water wouldn't be recirculated forever in a closed system. Plumbing would be up to sanitary standards and so I would expect the water quality would be about the same.

Except that radiators are typically connected in parallel, so you can heat the rooms independently. That means that if you don’t turn on one radiator for an extended period (say, in a spare room that nobody really uses) the water will be standing still in it. Now say that later on you decide it’s getting nippy in there what with the cold winter and all, so you turn it on — and then feel like taking a shower …

• BINNED

@Gurth said:

radiators are typically connected in parallel

unless they make a small mistake during the installation ... took us several years and visits of the plumber to find out that one valve at a radiator was wrong turning parallel into serial.

That'd be a plumbing :wtf:

• BINNED

@dkf said:

That'd be a plumbing :wtf:

Yes, one wrong piece. They look almost identically on the outside but one sends all the water through the connected radiator resulting in a serial connection and the other one splits the water stream resulting in a parallel setup.

• Can't see how they'd make such a mistake.
    Here there are two pipes, hot and cold, connecting something in series seems like it would be obvious, and somewhat hard to do by mistake.
    Can we see a pic of wtf they did?

• BINNED

Radiator is something like this:

Notice how the incoming and outgoing water lines are on one side at the bottom? We are talking about the piece that connects the incoming and outgoing lines with the incoming/outgoing sides of the radiator.

• That IS stupid...
    Do you only have one heating pipe? Is it passtrough? We have both a hot and cold pipe to all radiators.
    All the in and outlets I've seen are airgapped.
    The one on your picture does seem like it would make changing the radiator somewhat easier.

• BINNED

@swayde said:

Do you only have one heating pipe?

No, several but every one is connected to multiple radiators, possibly in different rooms. So it's a mix of having pipes to all radiators individually and having one pipe going to all radiators. I think there are about 4 different sets. Roughly meaning that at most two rooms with three radiators are combined.

• Pfft.

My 1927 radiator could crush that one. It's pathetic. What's it made out of, aluminum?

Real radiators are about half a ton of cast iron.