Bull :shit: and more bull :shit: and lots of bull :shit: (content warning: StarGate)

• @blakeyrat said:

If you actually believe in some movement/philosophy, surely you can describe it in an elevator pitch.

And get another "what no links".

Sorry, no buy.

@blakeyrat said:

Hey look, no links.

The problem is that GG is a tag, not a documented membership.
    Anyone can throw the tag and issue a threat.

Hell, any anti-GG could sockbot and issue a fake threat.

But GG isn't the only ones issuing threats.

The CEO of a game download service has been forced to issue a statement
    after the company received threats from members of the public who
    confused its name, Gamersgate, with the recent #gamergate movement.

• @cartman82 said:

all the people that hold certain beliefs based on actions of other people who hold similar beliefs.

I think it's bullshit, because if you swap out GG for Muslim, the attitude changes.

• @xaade said:

And get another "what no links".

So GamerGate or GG or whatever is a movement without a mission statement? Without a website, or even a press release or... anything at all?

Given that:

HOW CAN HE POSSIBLY KNOW that GamerGate was innocent?

@xaade said:

The problem is that GG is a tag, not a documented membership.Anyone can throw the tag and issue a threat.

Hell, any anti-GG could sockbot and issue a fake threat.

Right; but apparently this isn't a problem the "legitimate" GamerGate people feel like solving, despite it being a problem for years now?

Things that make you go hmmm.

@xaade said:

Wow, it's almost as if the legit GamerGate good actors here should set up an actual organization with an actual thought-out name and stop fucking over that perfectly innocent game retailer who pre-dated the GamerGate thing by years.

Why hasn't that happened yet?

• @blakeyrat said:

Jesus that's a stretch of logic I'm afraid my brain isn't flexible enough to replicate. They send rape threats to people they don't know who have frankly harmless opinions, but they aren't misogynists?

So you're yelling at people here all the time and call them all sorts of names, and yet you don't hate them?

@blakeyrat said:

He's not. Who forced him? Using what form of coercion?

Fear of losing his job if the feminazis target him.

This is super juicy, an example hot off the presses: https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/3evq24/the_attack_on_roberto_rosario_that_forced_him_to/

There are plenty more. People who do nothing wrong other than argue against feminists lose their jobs. Others too afraid to speak up.

Tell me Blakey, why is this happening? Is this just? Should the world be this way?

@blakeyrat said:

Well the conclusion I draw, which is probably not the one you want me to draw, is that the anti-feminists are using aliases because they don't want their real names attached to legally-actionable rape threats.

That would presume this OP had some kind of rape threat in his post, that would motivate him to hide his identity.

Akhm.

Cite?

@blakeyrat said:

I think we'd be better off without one of those two things. GUESS WHICH.

Without GG and the abuse train, Sarkeesian would have finished her little video series (or not) and faded away into anonymity.

You can't have the one without the other. That's how these things work.

@blakeyrat said:

There are still far too many games where the male avatar is the unquestioned protagonist. To name some examples off the top of my heat, The Witcher 3

This is complete bullshit. It's perfectly OK to make a game with a fixed protagonist. Be it a manly man or a female or a bunny rabbit or whatever.

If you're still wondering what's gamergate about, that's one of the issues. SJW-s want all games to actively promote diversity and are using their media outlets to promote that viewpoint.

"Gamergate" (or rather, a lot of the people who use the hashtag) want games to be whatever the market will buy - be it a teenage male power fantasy or a feminist hug-fest, whatever you want, you make. And the journalists should just criticize game for what it is, keeping in mind its intended target audience, instead of trying to push every game towards greater "diversity", whatever that meant.

There you go. Now you have the information to decide which stance you like better.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

To name some examples off the top of my heat, The Witcher 3, the two Metro games.

I believe that those two series are based on characters in books; they're deliberately telling things from one specific perspective that was male before the games were conceived of.

That said, there ought to be scope for doing more games where the avatar is unquestionably female. It certainly shouldn't be the case that all games where the avatar gender is not specifically selectable have to be female or male.

@blakeyrat said:

It's especially egregious in first-person games, where adding a female protagonist is really cheap.

Is it? How does the difference in gender change how the other characters in the simulated world react to them? If it's no change at all, that's projecting one type of world view. There are other ways of doing it that are valid, and yes, those specific ones might be viewed as being biased one way or the other, though it's not that the overall game is necessarily gender-biased, but that that particular character's view of the world is.

Doing that well would be a lot more work though, so I can see why devs mostly go for the cheaper cop-out and leave everything the same as much as possible. 😄

• @Kian said:

If you want to make a threat, would you use your regular online persona or a one time disposable account? It could be a false flag op, but false flag ops work because they look like the real thing. You could also look at it from the other side. Why did they follow up this one threat tweet and not the others? Did they do a study of how tweet threats work? Maybe they planted the tweet so they could expose it as being planted! A reverse false flag op!

Exactly.

It's not proof of anything, because it's not falsifiable.

Not saying there aren't real death threats out there.

Just saying there's a lot of good people in GG that have valid points, and it's being smothered by idiots posting death threats.

Who benefits the most from that?

• @cartman82 said:

So you're yelling at people here all the time and call them all sorts of names, and yet you don't hate them?

I'm not making rape threats. There are lines. I do not cross them.

@cartman82 said:

Fear of losing his job if the feminazis target him.

Oh for fuck's sake, now you're quoting fucking Rush Limbaugh?

Jesus Christ, cartman, do you even know how much credibility you're losing here, second-by-second?

@cartman82 said:

Tell me Blakey, why is this happening? Is this just? Should the world be this way?

Yes.

Yes.

I actually hope you lose your job now, too, after the feminazi thing. You've changed my mind. Congratulations.

@cartman82 said:

That would presume this OP had some kind of rape threat in his post, that would motivate him to hide his identity.

Akhm.

Cite?

Hey you asked why I thought he was posting anonymously; I answered with my best guess.

I'm not presuming anything at all. But don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer.

@cartman82 said:

Without GG and the abuse train, Sarkeesian would have finished her little video series (or not) and faded away into anonymity.

Then it's pretty stupid and counter-productive of the people opposing the videos to keep sending in the rape threats, huh?

@cartman82 said:

This is complete bullshit. It's perfectly OK to make a game with a fixed protagonist.

Of course it is. Who said otherwise?

@cartman82 said:

If you're still wondering what's gamergate about, that's one of the issues. SJW-s want all games to actively promote diversity and are using their media outlets to promote that viewpoint.

And that's a problem because...?

@dkf said:

Is it?

Yes.

@dkf said:

How does the difference in gender change how the other characters in the simulated world react to them?

In the Metro universe or the Lord of the Rings universe as seen in the movie (which I believe is what the game was portraying), no change in reaction at all. I haven't played enough of the Witcher series to have an opinion.

Similarly, there's no reason in Tomb Raider (at least the most recent one) that it has to be Lara Croft and not Luke Croft. There'd be no change in dialog from the other characters except pronouns.

@xaade said:

Just saying there's a lot of good people in GG that have valid points, and it's being smothered by idiots posting death threats.

SO WHY ARE THEY STILL IN IT!?

The only reason I can think of is: because they like the death threats and want to see them continue. Right? What other reason can there possibly be?

• @blakeyrat said:

HOW CAN HE POSSIBLY KNOW that GamerGate was innocent?

It's not stating innocence.

It's stating "without proof".

Two different things.

@blakeyrat said:

Right; but apparently this isn't a problem the "legitimate" Islamic people feel like solving, despite it being a problem for years now?

FTFY

@cartman82 said:

SJW-s want equity or equality of outcomes... "Gamergate" want equality of opportunity

• @cartman82 said:

All true if we were talking about a group. GG is more like a movement.

You're going to have to elaborate on what the difference is.

@cartman82 said:

Does a Christian need to disclaim abortion clinic bombings every time they argue for the ensoulment of fetus at conception?
    No, but they should whenever someone brings it up. Saying "The people who bomb abortion clinics obviously don't show the respect for life that is central to us, and don't speak for the pro-life movement" is an easy way of condemning the attack without weakening your position. Saying "Well, those people have their reasons for why they do it. I wouldn't bomb anyone, but putting an abortion clinic where people might use it invites this kind of reactions" is not.

@cartman82 said:

How are you going to address an issue if you don't understand why it exist and what are the motivations of people involved?
    As I said:

@Kian said:

I'm not their counselor, and I'm not trying to fix their socialization issues. I don't even engage with them.
    I'm not going to address the issue in any meaningful manner. So I don't need to look into why they do it. And since no one else is equipped to do it, because you'd need to get past internet anonymity and have a way to reach these people, the point becomes moot for everyone else too. You can do it as a hobby if it entertains you, but I don't really care.

@xaade said:

Who benefits the most from that?
    The people making death threats. So maybe stop creating a safe space for them and either kick them out or leave.

• @blakeyrat said:

SO WHY ARE MUSLIMS STILL IN ISLAM!?

The only reason I can think of is: because they like the suicide bombings and want to see them continue. Right? What other reason can there possibly be?

FTFY

• @Kian said:

The people making death threats. So maybe stop creating a safe space for them and either kick them out or leave.

They get banned for that. It's illegal. Problem solved.

You can't kick someone out of a hashtag.

"I want to kill all men. #Feminism #WorldPower".

• @xaade said:

The CEO of a game download service has been forced to issue a statement after the company received threats from members of the public who confused its name, Gamersgate, with the recent #gamergate movement.

Still waiting on a response to this.

• @xaade said:

You can't kick someone out of a hashtag.

So stop basing part of your identity around a hashtag?

• @blakeyrat said:

Islamic Mosques have websites and press releases.

That will never get hacked?

@blakeyrat said:

They frequently speak-out against terrorist bombings.

That's great.

There's also a lot of GG posts that speak-out against threats.

Anita is a person, with an identity, that she can protect.
    You can't do that with a movement.

How about #BlackLivesMatter. Should we through that away because they don't have a website?

• Walmart isn't based around the hashtag. Walmart has a series of stores, press department, webpages, and people who are in charge of describing their "official" stance on stuff.

• @xaade said:

FTFY

Islamic Mosques have websites and press releases. They frequently speak-out against terrorist bombings.

@xaade said:

They get banned for that. It's illegal. Problem solved.

Banned from what? GamerGate isn't a "thing" you can be banned from.

@xaade said:

"We hate babies at #Walmart"

Walmart has a website and puts out press releases.

• @xaade said:

That will never get hacked?

Oh; so GamerGate has a website and you're not sharing it with me because it's hacked?

That is very convincing.

@xaade said:

Anita is a person, with an identity, that she can protect.
    You can't do that with a movement.

Move movements seem to manage it pretty well. Not sure what the fuck's wrong with you guys.

@xaade said:

How about #BlackLivesMatter. Should we through that away because they don't have a website?

http://blacklivesmatter.com/

They do have a website, numbnuts.

• @blakeyrat said:

Ok, so the solution is for someone in GamerGate to spin up a website and claim to speak for all of them?

Do you think that's going to be effective.

How many people are aware that Muslims speak out against terrorism?

GG speaks out against threats, but that's not going to be enough, until someone wrests control and spins a website?

I find it odd that you can't accept that GG has valid points.

I'm not even part of the movement, and I can see that.

I think I've said both sides have valid points, and both sides have people issuing threats. I don't see how you claim one has moral superiority.

I even went so far as to say that they aren't mutually exclusive groups and shouldn't be fighting like this.

But what happened is that a few of the women who were unethical, happened to be feminists.

And everything in a feminist's life, MUST be about feminism.

So, people must be criticizing these women, because they are feminist, and not because they fucked a magazine editor for a favorable review.

You know what.... fuck it.

No one here is rational about this shit.

Both sides have their fucktards, and neither side is more justified, because they are based on non-mutual exclusive points, and both have members that have participated in illegal activity.

• @xaade said:

Isn't everyone aware of that? Hell, I posted a link to a google search that shows even Iran speaks out against it. If they don't hear about it, it's probably because they don't actually have any contact at all with muslim media. They only get it filtered by other people with their own agendas.

@xaade said:

Ok, so the solution is for someone in GamerGate to spin up a website and claim to speak for all of them?
    YES. Then that can spark a discussion about what gg actually stands for. And if enough people disagree, they can spin up their own GG site. Maybe even choose a less dumb name, GamerDoor or whatever.

If you are more concerned with not losing your label than you are with actually defining what it means, you don't actually have any goals.

• @blakeyrat said:

I'm not making rape threats. There are lines. I do not cross them.

It's an arbitrary line. For some people, it's rape threats. For others, it's lower.
    You obviously crossed it with @accalia and @RaceProUK.
    For them, you're the abuser.
    And since you're abusing them, you must hate them.

Why do you hate them, Blakey? Why are you so full of hate?

@blakeyrat said:

Oh for fuck's sake, now you're quoting fucking Rush Limbaugh?

Jesus Christ, cartman, do you even know how much credibility you're losing here, second-by-second?

Who's that, some kind of TV personality?

I guess his fans will be "triggered" or something, I don't know.

@blakeyrat said:

Yes.

Yes.

I actually hope you lose your job now, too, after the feminazi thing. You've changed my mind. Congratulations.

Getting a bit hot there, Blakey? That sinking feeling in your belly from the slow realization you're wrong, turning into anger. Yes!

@blakeyrat said:

Hey you asked why I thought he was posting anonymously; I answered with my best guess.

I'm not presuming anything at all. But don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer.

Well your best guess is pretty piss poor then, as it doesn't fit the reality. Perhaps you should reexamine your analysis, so it fits the known facts better?

@blakeyrat said:

Then it's pretty stupid and counter-productive of the people opposing the videos to keep sending in the rape threats, huh?

Well yeah, duh. What that has to do with anything?

@blakeyrat said:

And that's a problem because...?

Because it's a zero-sum game. There's only so much attention and review space to be spread between a large number of projects. "Promoting diversity" means that sometimes a worthless but "ideologically suitable" game will be promoted over a better game that happens to have, say, a fixed CIS perspective.

That's a problem for people who like to see every effort to receive just rewards.

There are other problems too, but this is my main concern.

• @Kian said:

All true if we were talking about a group. GG is more like a movement.

You're going to have to elaborate on what the difference is.

Group = Your local book reader club. There's a ledger with all the names. You formally join, follow the rules. You don't like it, you formally leave and is removed from the book. Your membership card is taken away.

Movement = Feminism. You read about the ideas and decide you like them. Therefore you call yourself "feminist". You decide to murder random CIS men in the name of feminism. Or you decide to post reasonable articles on your blog. At some point, you can decide you don't want to be a feminist any more. Bam. There you go, you're not.

See the difference?

@Kian said:

I'm not going to address the issue in any meaningful manner. So I don't need to look into why they do it. And since no one else is equipped to do it, because you'd need to get past internet anonymity and have a way to reach these people, the point becomes moot for everyone else too. You can do it as a hobby if it entertains you, but I don't really care.

OK, then we're done.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

I think we're getting to the point where it's possible to conclude that, whatever the validity of their starting positions, both sides in the GG affair are now comprised of a hard core of jerkwads. I just wish that they'd hurry up and get a room.

A courtroom.

• @xaade said:

It'd be a start. At least you'd have a place to point people when they ask what you're all about.

I'd recommend not using the GamerGate name, though.

@xaade said:

Do you think that's going to be effective.

At achieving what goal?

@xaade said:

Lots? Of course I don't live in the South.

@xaade said:

GG speaks out against threats, but that's not going to be enough, until someone wrests control and spins a website?

Without a website, there is no way of even knowing what GG is, what it stands for, or what it speaks out against.

A hashtag on Twitter isn't an organization. It's pretty much nothing at all except a searchable keyword anybody could use for any purpose.

@xaade said:

I find it odd that you can't accept that GG has valid points.

I do; I just don't think there needs to be a "movement" to remind journalists to not be shitty at their jobs.

@xaade said:

I think I've said both sides have valid points, and both sides have people issuing threats. I don't see how you claim one has moral superiority.

I don't recall ever doing that.

@xaade said:

And everything in a feminist's life, MUST be about feminism.

Wow.

That's a pretty crazy generalization.

Do you realize that by just typing that you've put yourself way out of the mainstream and into the fringe? Like, are you even aware of that? I'm curious now.

@cartman82 said:

You obviously crossed it with @accalia and @RaceProUK.For them, you're the abuser.And since you're abusing them, you must hate them.

Ok; but I think it's safe to say that both Race Propecia UK and accalia would say that even the worst things I said to them to not compare even slightly to threats of rape.

@cartman82 said:

Who's that, some kind of TV personality?

As if you don't know. Hahaha. Weak. Very weak.

@cartman82 said:

Getting a bit hot there, Blakey? That sinking feeling in your belly from the slow realization you're wrong, turning into anger. Yes!

What am I wrong about?

@cartman82 said:

"Promoting diversity" means that sometimes a worthless but "ideologically suitable" game will be promoted over a better game that happens to have, say, a fixed CIS perspective.

Is this something you're claiming actually happened? Or just something that could potentially happen?

@dkf said:

I think we're getting to the point where it's possible to conclude that, whatever the validity of their starting positions, both sides in the GG affair are now comprised of a hard core of jerkwads.

Ok; but there's still orders of magnitude between "didn't deliver all the promised Kickstarter videos" and "make violent rape threats".

• @dkf said:

I think we're getting to the point where it's possible to conclude that, whatever the validity of their starting positions, both sides in the GG affair are now comprised of a hard core of jerkwads. I just wish that they'd hurry up and get a room.

A courtroom.

Yeah, I don't think either side would be anything other than a puddle of goo in front of a panel of federal judges...

• @blakeyrat said:

I just don't think there needs to be a "movement" to remind journalists to not be shitty at their jobs.

I don't think there needs to be a "movement" to remind cops to not be shitty at their jobs.

@blakeyrat said:

Do you realize that by just typing that you've put yourself way out of the mainstream and into the fringe? Like, are you even aware of that? I'm curious now.

There's enough of a pattern to make me question whether it's true.
    Perhaps I should clarify with, "Modern Feminists", because there are certainly people out there like that.

The feminist card is real.

You take on one of these feminists about any of their hot topics, and you hate women. Ask Sargon.

@blakeyrat said:

not compare even slightly to threats of rape.

I wouldn't be surprised if some woman out there thinks you made a rape threat, when you made a joke that barely looks like a rape joke if you squint sideways. I've seen enough of that response.

Can I at least ask you this?

Do you think there are women out there, under the #feminist movement, that make ridiculous assertions, make false claims of rape, and do it all to gain attention?

Can you at least admit that some of these women are doing it for that purpose.

• @xaade said:

Ask Sargon.

Now we're asking fictional villains from Tron?

... oh wait that was Sark.

@xaade said:

I wouldn't be surprised if some woman out there thinks you made a rape threat, when you made a joke that barely looks like a rape joke if you squint sideways. I've seen enough of that response.

Ok?

@xaade said:

Do you think there are women out there, under the #feminist movement, that make ridiculous assertions, make false claims of rape, and do it all to gain attention?

I do not know who is "under the #feminist movement" and who is not, so I can't answer that.

Has it been document than women have made false claims of rape? Of course. There have been recent high-profile cases of it. We all read about that article in Rolling Stone.

I can't say for certain they were "doing it all to gain attention," though.

• @blakeyrat said:

Yes, and they've made it clear that they want society to bend over and clean up their shit.

I mean, half the stuff they asked for is basically fixing the problems from the riots.

The other half is ridiculous claims that if anyone else asked for it, they'd get laughed at.

And about 2 - 3 points are legitimate, "Ok, we should be doing that already. Let's fix it".

GG has one claim.

Stop buying good reviews with sex. I've been burned one too many times from buying crappy games because of unethical reporting.

• @xaade said:

GG has one claim.

I don't think that is true, because I no longer believe GG is a "thing" at all.

• @blakeyrat said:

I do not know who is "under the #feminist movement" and who is not, so I can't answer that.

Then they should make a website.
    So you'll know.

Oh wait, it's pretty fucking clear what their claims are.

• @xaade said:

Oh wait, it's pretty fucking clear what their claims are.

??? What are you talking about?

Did you just make up a movement that doesn't exist? Then got all pissy that they don't have a website? Then insanely claimed it's clear what their claims are?

There isn't a "they". You made it up. Based on a hashtag. On Twitter. It's not a "thing".

• Well.... then....

I'd like ONE THING.

Stop selling reviews for sex.

That would be nice.

And, I also don't make rape threats.

``#WantEthicalGamingReviewsAndWillNotRapeThreatToGetThem

• See now if you'd have started this conversation with that reasonable position, it'd have been much shorter.

• Feminism isn't a movement?

The fuck.

Welcome to the 20th century. You're behind.

• @xaade said:

Feminism isn't a movement?

Goddamned you dumb motherfucker.

Feminism is a movement. "#feminism" the hashtag on Twitter isn't a anything. It's a highlighted word you can link to find other tweets using the same word, which can be used by anybody for any purpose.

• @blakeyrat said:

Ok; but I think it's safe to say that both Race Propecia UK and accalia would say that even the worst things I said to them to not compare even slightly to threats of rape.

The point is, based on your actions, they might construe that you're motivated by hate, while you're actually just irritated or whatever.

Bringing us back to the original point:

They send rape threats to people they don't know who have frankly harmless opinions, but they aren't misogynists?

Yes. Some of them aren't.

@blakeyrat said:

As if you don't know. Hahaha. Weak. Very weak.

Even weaker is you trying to avoid answering my point by focusing on a stupid phrase.

So, answer. Is it fair for a person who tweets something using hashtag #gamergate (but otherwise doesn't abuse or threaten anyone) to lose their job?

• By that standard

GamerGate is a movement.

• @cartman82 said:

Yes. Some of them aren't.

Guys send rape threats to other guys.... in Call of Duty.... for losing a match.

It's fucking stupid.

But that doesn't make them gay.

• @cartman82 said:

to lose their job?

``#GamerGate is bad.

Oh shit. I just lost my job?

• This is worse than rape threats.

Because this actually resulted in a real effect.

• @xaade said:

This is worse than rape threats.

Because this actually resulted in a real effect.

Yeah, we haven't even talked about that.

For all the moral outrage over twitter abuse and feminist heroes having to go into hiding.... did anyone actually get murdered? Or hurt in any way?

Because receive death threats from Islamists, and there's a solid chance you'll be looking at an actual assassination attempt. Running an abortion clinic? Better report those mails to the cops and watch your back. Plenty of dangerous ideas that could actually get you killed.

Gamergaters seem awfully inefficient when the time comes to actually carry out their threats.

• @xaade said:

GG has one claim.

Stop buying good reviews with sex. I've been burned one too many times from buying crappy games because of unethical reporting.

You can't claim that no one can speak for GG because it's just a hashtag, but then claim they have one goal and that people who make rape threats don't speak for it. If it's a collection of people who are only linked by appending #gamergate in their tweets, then anyone who does that effectively represents the group.

Going back to the essay in the op, it has little to nothing to do with ethics in journalism. And yet he links it to gg. There's also no reason why they would be so obsessed with Anita. She's not a journalist and doesn't make reviews.

So your position is inconsistent with other things you say, and it is also wrong.

Case in point, I finally decided to check cartman's link. So, what started this guy's harrassment:

https://twitter.com/siloraptor/status/536052624068718592

Can you explain how this is in any way related to ethics in journalism? What the fuck does #gg have to do with someone writing a shitty algorithm?

• @cartman82 said:

Or hurt in any way?

Didn't a couple of them have to move or get police security? Or have talks cancelled over threats? Also, why do you think that the distress caused by threats doesn't hurt them? The guy in the essay in the OP mentioned receiving threats and how it affected him. That seems real enough to me.

The fact that people on both sides are being hurt isn't an excuse to keep hurting people. It should be a signal that there's a bigger issue that needs to be addressed.

• @cartman82 said:

feminist heroes having to go into hiding....

@cartman82 said:

did anyone actually get [...] hurt in any way?

<posts pointing out ridiculous self-contractions can't be empty>

• @Kian said:

Didn't a couple of them have to move or get police security? Or have talks cancelled over threats? Also, why do you think that the distress caused by threats doesn't hurt them? The guy in the essay in the OP mentioned receiving threats and how it affected him. That seems real enough to me.

The fact that people on both sides are being hurt isn't an excuse to keep hurting people. It should be a signal that there's a bigger issue that needs to be addressed.

Oh hell yeah, it hurt them.

I'm just putting seriousness of the threat on a scale with similar situations. And then comparing the intensity of the outcry in one instance versus another.

Basically, it's a "women are worse off in the Middle East" kind of argument. Which is not the most valid argument in all cases, but is not entirely without a merit.

• Also, I looked into the guy's case a bit more, to see what the algorithm was about. It's not even that dumb. It uses a simple heuristic to block people that might potentially harass you. That's not idiotic. Broad, sure, and you can get around it once you know it exists. But given most of the stuff on twitter is shit, the more of it you block the better. It's not even censorship, it simply blinds you to other people's idiocy.

Now, I don't think it's cool that he lost his job (if he did? I'm not very clear on what he was kicked out of exactly, some kind of group to spread python to Cuba? They're better off without it), but the comment clearly marks him as an asshole. "Oh, someone made a tool to block harassment. Let's mock them publicly because it blocked me too!" It kind of looks like the tool did it's fucking job properly.

• @Maciejasjmj said:

And I don't think this is right. Otherwise anybody with controversial views would win their discussions by default, because there's got to be a lot of brainless shouting going on.

Then tell the shitheads to shut the fuck up. As long as you're here saying, "It's ok, we can just ignore them," you're demanding that other people deal with their shit, and you're tacitly endorsing it. If you feel the GG side of things is sooooooo important, then reduce the noise ratio, and get the shitheads making threats to shut up.

• @Kian said:

Or have talks cancelled over threats?

I'm split on that.

She cancelled because the forum wouldn't ban guns.

On the one hand, if someone wants to hurt people, they will.

On the other hand, the amount of places attacked with gun bans in place is significantly higher.

Interesting result. A small factor of supply and demand, and firing the customer. But mostly a stupid threat that ruined the whole thing.

@Kian said:

You can't claim that no one can speak for GG because it's just a hashtag,

I didn't, I said that there are good people speaking under the hashtag with good points that are getting drowned out by stupid people.

I know what the good people's claim is, and I just stated it.

Not rocket science here.

I just wonder why feminists aren't treated with the same level of animosity. They've made their own threats, and some of them have actually been carried out.

I see that as hypocrisy.

• @cartman82 said:

Basically, it's a "women are worse off in the Middle East" kind of argument. Which is not the most valid argument in all cases, but is not entirely without a merit.

That argument is entirely without merit. How women are treated in the Middle East is entirely fucking irrelevant. We live in a goddamned civilized nation. This kind of behavior is completely fucking unacceptable, full stop.

If GG wants to be seen as something other than a mysoginistic hate group that threatens women with violence in order to silence them, then maybe they had better police themselves better.

• @xaade said:

I didn't, I said that there are good people speaking under the hashtag with good points that are getting drowned out by stupid people.

I know what the good people's claim is, and I just stated it.

Not rocket science here.

People aren't paying attention to any of the good points because you have to wade through a mountain of toxic shit to get anywhere near anything halfway decent. It's honestly not worth it.