Bicker bicker bicker bicker bicker snake!

• It usually takes 10+ seconds just for the little speech bubble notification thing to list my first ten. So I believe you.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

It usually takes 10+ seconds just for the little speech bubble notification thing to list my first ten.

ouch! that sucks.

It's usually pretty instantaneous for me, occasionally a couple of seconds at the worst.

if you visit your profile tab what's the number in the All section for you? mine's currently 22,752; I'd be curious to see if there's any correlation to the size of that number and how long it takes to load your notifications.

• 12023 FUCK YOU DISCOURSE THIS ISN'T A NUMBERED LIST. That page to check that opened in about 12-13 seconds. Ish.

Occasionally it opens in less than 5 seconds, but that's pretty rare.

What bothers me most is just HOW FUCKING STUPID the implementation is. Why doesn't he API, when it communicates that the user has X notifications, JUST SEND WHAT THOSE NOTIFICATIONS ARE AT THE SAME TIME!?

Think about that next time someone tells me Sam or Riking or whoever is a "good" software developer.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

hmm... with only the two data points it's hard to say but i don't think that's strong correlation. you're getting roughly the same speed i am but i have almost double the number of notifications you do.

anyone else want to weign in on this one and give us more data points?

• The only data point that matters is "way too slow."

• FoxDev

that tells us there's a problem. it doesn't help us find where the problem is. and if we don't find the where there won't be a fix.

• Good.

My mission is to destroy Discourse, not improve it.

• FoxDev

then buy the company and disolve it. or buy the site off alex and switch. complaining about it just generates hot air.

now if you'll excuse me i'm going to try to untangle this ruby code enough to figure out what it's doing and possibly actually fix the problem.

• Maybe my secret mission is to provoke you into fixing it for me.

#mastermind

But seriously, if you want to donate your labor, you could donate it to me. I got some projects I could use work on. And I'm slightly less of a douche than Atwood.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

Maybe my secret mission is to provoke you into fixing it for me.

please hush i'm trying to maintain what little sanity i have left while staring directly into the face of codethulu.

@blakeyrat said:

But seriously, if you want to donate your labor, you could donate it to me

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Would you two please find another thread to bicker in?

Ta.

• FoxDev

@PJH said:

gladly, if you'd do the honours of moving our existing discussion to a suitable location.

• @PJH said:

https://youtu.be/1Y-sRp6JGIU?t=307

• @accalia said:

size of that number and how long it takes to load

Discoursitant behaviour, methinks!

• In the short time I have been here, I have come to realize this: (unfortunately I don't have the vocabulary to accurately describe this on hand - lack of use).

What we have here are two Entities that have an attractive bond that is destructive. I.e. Wherever they are and whatever they are doing they will find each other (or know where the other is and arrange to collide) and attempt to destroy each other. The bond is way beyond that of magnetic poles, the destruction far more devastating that that of matter and anti-matter. They need each other to exist, they need their connection and inevitable destruction to continue to exist.

This is not a criticism or an indictment, just a simple observation of fact.

[spoiler]Perhaps they should get married[/spoiler]

• @accalia seems to love starting arguments with @blakeyrat specifically, while @blakeyrat just argues with everyone.

That's the difference.

• I think you just confirmed my theory (and this is where I wish I had an education in metaphysics, and I CBA atm to ramp up to speed and get one).

Entity 1 is in a constant state of argument and seeks it's.... whatever
    Entity 2 recognises that "desire" and tries to fulfil it.

In human terms, this shows that Entity 2 cares about Entity 1.

Ergo....

• OK Discourse, no excuse this time - 17 responses, So why did it take you several seconds to apply my edit - so many that I thought I had not actually done it, and done it twice. Yet you responded immediately to my "second" edit.