The 벨기에 of corporations

• @delfinom said:

a big brand japanese company that starts with a T that works on higher end expensive equipment

Tony? Tamsung? Tintendo?

• FoxDev

@delfinom said:

The slave literally sits there and takes the clock like a bitch

i'm too used to autocorrecting my own writing, i saw an extra l there in that sentence, autocorrected it out and the resulting sentence caused me to do a literal spittake....

• ♿ (Parody)

@HardwareGeek said:

Either way, you've made it onto my "idjits to ignore" list.

:sadface: I was quite enjoying it. I guess I still can even if you don't.

• Let's see, my depth into poverty is higher directly associated with my small minority heritage.

But since I look white, I have privileges for preferential treatment because of how people perceive me.

Most of those privileges started when I left my parent's home and moved to Houston.

It would help if everyone admitted that we all show preferential treatment to people that look and think like ourselves, and that this is natural and not something to be burned at the stake for.

On the flipside, my Chinese wife, worked temporarily in Norway, and even though they claimed equity, she could tell they were actually racist as opposed to the Southerners she worked with in Texas and Louisiana. Given there were Norwegians that weren't racist against her, and there were Lousianians that were racist against her, but the % were flipped for sure. All of that is due to the fact that Norwegians have less exposure to Asians, and are acting on a natural instinct, but that doesn't absolve hypocrisy.

Of course, that's personal experience, but she says she also witnessed them being biased against other Asian ethnicities too.

Again, it wasn't so severe as to be disabling to her life or work, but it definitely made work and life harder. It made it much harder for her to receive fair treatment from any one caring after her child.

White privilege, the privilege to be treated fairly by other white people who claim other white people are racists.

• They make TVs and other consumer stuffs. Also memory ICs. This division however was military.

• @boomzilla said:

@HardwareGeek said:
    Either way, you've made it onto my "idjits to ignore" list.

:sadface: I was quite enjoying it. I guess I still can even if you don't.

Ignore to the extent of not taking anything he says seriously. I don't completely skip posts by anybody, in general, although there are some topics I skip and others I just skim over the same tired arguments back and forth.

• @xaade said:

It would help if everyone admitted that we all show preferential treatment to people that look and think like ourselves, and that this is natural and not something to be burned at the stake for.

It would help if everyone admitted to ourselves that we all show have an internal bias toward giving preferential treatment to people that look and think like us, that this is natural and not something to be burned at the stake for, but that consistent failure to compensate for it in our behaviour is nothing to be proud of.

• @flabdablet said:

consistent failure to compensate for it

Well, purposefully compensating for >>>it<<< is, by the definitions I've been given, a sign a racism.
    Ignoring it completely while also not letting it have an impact on your choices is the only acceptable solution, apparently.

Remember our other discussion where sending a white student to help a black guest is racist, if you do it on purpose then you're a racist.

The only way to "compensate" for it is to be truly blind to the image of the person you are interacting with. Drawing sticks or visual indicator of randomness is your only hope. Even random flipping a quarter in your mind is non-falsifiable.

The problem with this is that it becomes non-falsifiable in most reasonable situations, requiring lengths of aversion that are either a hindrance to efficiency or too great for the task at hand.

Could you imagine drawing sticks everytime you have a diverse group to select from?

There's no effective way to avoid every offense.

Because that's without considering intersectionality.

What if your guest is a transgendered black woman in a wheelchair?

• @xaade said:

Well, purposefully compensating for >>>it<<< is, by the definitions I've been given, a sign a racism.

Bullshit.

@xaade said:

Ignoring it completely while also not letting it have an impact on your choices is the only acceptable solution, apparently.

Bullshit.

@xaade said:

The only way to "compensate" for it is to be truly blind to the image of the person you are interacting with.

Bullshit.

@xaade said:

What if your guest is a transgendered black woman in a wheelchair?

If it's you, I expect you melt down into a little puddle of slag from the sheer effort required to figure out which of your arbitrarily dreamed-up rules to ignore first.

• What is your solution then?

I'm not speaking for myself here, I'm only repeating what I've been told.

If you purposefully help a black guy in an effort to make sure you're not being prejudiced against black people, that has been said to be racist. Which makes this impossible, don't help racist, do help racist, problem.

• Depends entirely on context.

• You're a professor. A black guest shows up. You have 5 students and one is black. You want to send someone to show the guest around.

Who do you send?

And how do you prove you weren't influenced by racism while making your choice?

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@xaade said:

You're a professor. [...] You have 5 students and one is black

If that's all the information I have about my students, I'm a shitty professor.

@xaade said:

Who do you send?

The one who'd make the best tour guide.

• @Yamikuronue said:

If that's all the information I have about my students, I'm a shitty professor.

That's usually the only information people use when they criticize your choices.

@Yamikuronue said:

Please prove to an external audience how that wasn't a racist choice.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

My point is you can't even craft a hypothetical scenario that is based on anything other than race. So how is anyone supposed to have an intelligent conversation with you?

• @xaade said:

You're a professor. A black guest shows up. You have 5 students and one is black. You want to send someone to show the guest around.

Who do you send?

Well if I only have 5 students, I'm probably the lazy, worthless type of professor, so I sent whichever one is physically closest.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@xaade said:

Who do you send?

If this were likely to be a situation I might encounter, I would probably ask my students if any of them wanted to volunteer. Otherwise, I would probably dig out a d10 in front of the gutsy and say something like "we have a silly rule here where I determine who shows people around at random, because everyone likes to do it and we don't want to give the appearance of favoritism."

• That's the drawing straws answer I said earlier.

Volunteering is a good alternative, but if none or more than one does, then you fall back on straws.

So I guess that's the best possible answer.

Bonus round.

You ask for volunteers and only the black student volunteers.

People are spreading rumors that you collaborate with your students to make sure this is the outcome.

In the long run, these allegations usually don't stand. But the uni is becoming a very hostile environment, what with a professor being called racist for correcting grammar and disagreeing that grammar mistakes aren't allowed unless the context is narration/spoken/thought.

• Yeah, you're the type to say "shove it" to anyone who claims you're racist.

So that's another good answer.

IOW, just don't play the game.

@xaade said:

That's the drawing straws answer I said earlier.

I can come up with endless variations. If anyone ever complained, I would put up a chart work everyone's picture and an "who's up next" arrow.

• But that's also less than efficient, and prevents

@Yamikuronue said:

IMO, some people are going to find a way to get offended at you, if they think it'll bring attention to themselves.
    It's a fruitless exercise.

Which is why people end up choosing to not give a shit, rather than be introspective.

• @xaade said:

You want to send someone to show the guest around.

Who do you send?

Why aren't you helping, Leon?

• ♿ (Parody)

@HardwareGeek said:

Ignore to the extent of not taking anything he says seriously.

Oh, yeah, it totally came across to me as trolling. If not, well...Poe would be proud.

• Not bad.

But I hear someone's voice in my head saying...

"Why did you have to ask for volunteers?"

"Why couldn't you just pick somebody?"

See you guys keep assuming that the external viewers are rational and reasonable. But that hasn't been my experience.

My experience is in dealing with a certain group of online trolls of any ethnicity, who want to make everything into a racial issue no matter what the circumstance.

80/20 rule for me. Make sure I'm not purposefully offending 80% of the people out there, and I'm done.
    If some sideliner insists I have buried racist feelings.... I can't please everybody.

The problem is that it takes just one person.... to insist.... start shit and complain.

And it's not just between races. It's between anyone two people where one can be seen as advantaged over the other.

Which is why asking people to continually observe if they have dormant racist tendencies is really absurd.

These kind of problems never come up with my colleagues, clients, friends, and other people with whom I share mutual respect.

• @blakeyrat said:

It's not institutional racism like in Japan where (for example) non-Japanese people can't even rent an apartment without a Japanese person vouching for them

You can't live in Japan without a Japanese person vouching for you, so why not get that person to vouch for your apartment as well? 🛂

• Send them all. You only have 5 students. Maybe you can then take a day off as well.
    The students might enjoy it and the guest might like the extra company instead of being forced to make small talk with 1 person.

• Yeah, their laptops are a PoS.

@xaade said:

in Norway, and even though they claimed equity, she could tell they were actually racist

The nords usually don't like people that look like cats (Khajiit) but at least are open to ideas from them.

• @xaade said:

Who do you send?

Roll a die (where they can see it)
    Make them draw straws
    Give the job to whoever currently has the best/worst grades (depending on how popular the job of showing around guests is)

• @Gurth said:

Give the job to whoever currently has the best/worst grades

Because grades are never tied to race by anyone... lol.

• @xaade said:

Not bad.

But I hear someone's voice in my head saying...

"Why did you have to ask for volunteers?"

"Why couldn't you just pick somebody?"

"A volunteer makes a better tour guide than a conscript."

Problem solved, at least as long as you get a single volunteer.

• I could keep going, but I think people get the point by now.

You can solve the problem for yourself, but you will never solve the problem...

You see, as soon as racism stops existing, then people have to own up to their own problems. And so racism will never stop existing.

• @xaade said:

Because grades are never tied to race by anyone...

TBH, the thought that someone might had not occurred to me at all.

Here’s another suggestion, then, which isn’t entirely luck-based and not entirely ability-based either: make it known that you use the “shotgun” system — for popular things, first person to say “shotgun” gets the job; for unpopular ones, last one to say it gets the job. Might be slightly unfair on new folks but they should catch on quickly, and whoever is chosen or left out can basically only blame themselves.

• @Gurth said:

the “shotgun” system — for popular things

Normally only used for popular as:

@Gurth said:

for unpopular ones, last one to say it gets the job

Generally uses "Not it!"

• @Gurth said:

TBH, the thought that someone might had not occurred to me at all.

Trust me, this mental exercise makes Pandora's box look shallow in comparison.

• kills Dumbledore

:giggity:

• :belt_onion:

Ooooh, that's a bad one...

• [quote="xaade, post:74, topic:49891]
    My experience is in dealing with a certain group of online trolls of any ethnicity, who want to make everything into a racial issue no matter what the circumstance.
    [/quote]
    Who, moi? :inno­cent:

Look at it this way: liberals are only capable of pleasing maybe 80% of people (it's probably higher, but what ever) also, and apparently you're in their 20%.

• Not entirely fair.

Apathy to a certain point because of capacity, is entirely different from passive-aggressive action purposefully taken to censor.

I reach my limit and give up.

They're purposefully telling me not to give up, while also being very offensive and bigoted in the process (oh that word bigot, entirely useless...)

• I'm still not seeing how it's a different thing. The way I see it, liberals have made the assumption about you that you're a bigoted shit who just doesn't care1. And you're saying that's an incorrect assumption, and that they're prejudiced against you. And I'm saying that examining their own prejudices and wrong assumptions is something liberals do, or should do, every day. So if they haven't succeeded at that it stands to reason that they must have hit some kind of limit?

Something else to think about: your average liberal, by applying liberal principles to themselves, will have discovered hundreds of dormant racist tendencies that would otherwise have gone unchecked, so what do you think they're gonna assume about someone who thinks that's a waste of time?

1Ok, this is a pretty half-assed summary of what you're saying, and of what liberals are assuming. I'm almost tempted to not put this disclaimer here, because of the massive trolling value I would expect from such a statement.

@Buddy said:

Ok, this is a pretty half-assed summary of what you're saying, and of what liberals are assuming.

Yeah, but it saves a lot of time!!!

• And which of these tendencies do not follow from Jane Goodall's research into xenophobia in chimpanzees?

• @Buddy said:

the assumption about you that you're a bigoted shit who just doesn't care

@Buddy said:

will have discovered hundreds of dormant racist tendencies that would otherwise have gone unchecked

Yeah, I know. That's the problem.

They are the racists, and so they assume if someone else isn't struggling with it, that the non-struggler is a liar and doesn't care.

• area_pol

Why did somebody write Belglum in Korean in my topic title? And why properly spelled Belglum is censored on Discourse?

• kills Dumbledore

@NeighborhoodButcher said:

And why properly spelled Belglum is censored on Discourse?

Because right thinking people don't use language like that

Why did somebody write Belglum in Korean in my topic title?

Sounds like it's pretty belgium'ed up, makes sense

• :belt_onion:

Believe it or not, that's actually a WTDWTF meme, not a Discourse thing.

If you have a problem with that, you should belgium-ing get over it :)

And what @PleegWat said

• Java Dev

Editing topic titles is a common hobby here. If you want to know who did it you can view the OP's edit history.

• area_pol

@Jaloopa said:

Because right thinking people don't use language like that

And once again TRWTF turns out to be Discourse.

• kills Dumbledore

Edit: is it actually possible to paste a URL with belg<f>ium in is and have it clickable?

• area_pol

@Jaloopa said:

is it actually possible to paste a URL with belgium in is and have it clickable?

I like how your comment has belgium uncensored but not the quotation.

And why properly spelled Belglum is censored on Discourse?

T'was a joke.

I spotted a (then) new feature and decided it needed testing.

At the time, H2G2 censorship was being discussed and one of the Belgians on here suggested sticking their country in the blacklist.

It's been there ever since.