Stack Overflow Podcast

• Stack Overflow Podcast episode 1 (2008)

Archive, with some episodes missing

Joel Spolsky and @codinghorror record their weekly meetings while building Stack Overflow and publish it as podcast. The sound quality is bad, they have a bunch of stupid ideas (like ask people to record questions through telephone), but boy is it interesting to follow along as they figure out gamification and all the other stuff that will eventually become Stack Overflow.

The top link is to the recent episode of "Stack Exchange Podcast" ("exchange", not "overflow") that Joel Spolsky still occasionally records with his underlings. They included the SO E01 in the aftershow. Otherwise, it seems that first few episodes are gone from the internet for now.

Anyway, besides talking about the development of SO, they also occasionally just shoot the shit about current tech happenings and development in general. These are my favorite parts.

This first episode is a good indication of that kind of stuff. They talk about ups and downs of Vista and Jeff predicts bad times to come for Microsoft (hit nail on the head there). So I suggest you give it a try.

Later episodes are hit and miss, but the early stuff is fascinating and highly recommended.

• @cartman82 said:

and Jeff predicts bad times to come for Microsoft (hit nail on the head there)

Like... releasing Windows 7 just a year after, which ended up being the next XP in terms of user preference? Yeah, I bet they were struggling so badly to live through the bad times while swimming in those giant Scrooge McDuck-style pools of money.

We've had an argument whether it's the case now in the ".NET is dead" thread, but in 2008? Puh-lease.

• @Maciejasjmj said:

Like... releasing Windows 7 just a year after, which ended up being the next XP in terms of user preference? Yeah, I bet they were struggling so badly to live through the bad times while swimming in those giant Scrooge McDuck-style pools of money.

We've had an argument whether it's the case now in the ".NET is dead" thread, but in 2008? Puh-lease.

That's why predicting it so early is impressive. Everyone can see writing on the wall now.

• @cartman82 said:

That's why predicting it so early is impressive. Everyone can see writing on the wall now.

Well I predicted Steve Jobs would die back when he was like 7 years old or so. And see, now it happened!

• @Maciejasjmj said:

Well I predicted Steve Jobs would die back when he was like 7 years old or so. And see, now it happened!

Amazing. Your talent is wasted on programming. You should hit the stock market.

"EVERY COMPANY WILL EVENTUALLY FAIL! SELL! SELL! SELL EVERYTHING!"