The Blakeyrat Tries To Diagnose This Shitty Work Laptop Thread

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Could be worse, could be an HP. I had one that failed 3 times and each time it took three weeks for them to get it back to me and they never did get it fixed.

• Heh, I had fun with HP support earlier in the year - had a Probook that would work fine up until you joined it to a domain - at which point the boot speed was ridiculously slow. We're talking going from less than a minute to 3-4 minutes before being able to log in. We thought it might have been a bum machine, but the replacement did the same thing, as does the 840 G1.

Talking to HP support was the worst part - awful, awful support people.

@Douglasac said:

Talking to HP support was the worst part - awful, awful support people.

Absolutely. "We'll get your machine back to you in a month or so." The first time, they claim they replaced the CPU, and the next two times, the motherboard and the CPU. But the last time, it died again within days, and I opened it up and there was thermal transfer goop on the motherboard as if it had been dripped there. It didn't look like they'd actually done anything.

I bought the laptop on Jan 2, and it started dying in August, and they just kept not fixing it into November, and I decided I didn't want to pay $200 to extend the warranty to see if they'd eventually actually fix it.

I'd need a free machine from them--one that actually worked trouble-free--before I would ever buy or recommend any HP product, including printers, to anyone for any reason, at this point.

• @FrostCat said:

I'd need a free machine from them--one that actually worked trouble-free--before I would ever buy or recommend any HP product, including printers, to anyone for any reason, at this point.

I want HP-the-IT company to go under to the point where they have to beg Keysight (the current name of the test instrument company that was the original HP) to buy them out and save their arses.

@tarunik said:

I want HP-the-IT company to go under to the point where they have to beg Keysight (the current name of the test instrument company that was the original HP) to buy them out and save their arses.

HP management are on the case!

• @FrostCat said:

That wouldn't do it for me. I'm done with HP. The paper handling on their printers is better than anybody else's except Xerox's, but their shitty horrible drivers make them not worth the trouble. Nothing else they make now has any redeeming qualities whatsoever.

It's a great pity. HP gear used to be the best in the industry before the Fiorina era. Nowadays, this is difficult to pick as parody:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ntPxdWAWq8

@flabdablet said:

Nothing else they make now has any redeeming qualities whatsoever.

My laptop (a 2010-era Pavilion) was awesome right up until it stopped working. But it's not printer-related, and perhaps that's why.

• Both of my previous HP laptops had heating problems (they would heat up too quickly and not cool down). Not doing that again.

@riking said:

Both of my previous HP laptops had heating problems (they would heat up too quickly and not cool down). Not doing that again.

This one didn't have that problem as far as I know. It just started intermittently not booting, giving me flashing LEDs that indicated a CPU failure; after a few weeks it wouldn't boot at all. I'd send it out, they'd claim it was fixed and give it back to me weeks later--they paid for shipping, but it was a slow kind of shipping that took a week each direction--and then it would work for a few weeks before repeating the process. The third time it failed I asked the useless call center person at what point we called it a lemon and just replaced it, and just got "oh, we have to repair it."

I'm actually still somewhat angry about it more than 3 years later, because it was far better than Dell devices and I really liked it.

• Not booting is a :barrier: to heating up.

@riking said:

Not booting is a :barrier: to heating up.

That's true, and it definitely wasn't overheating when it wasn't working. >_<

What I meant to say about being angry is that I liked it so much more than boring Dell boxes that if they hadn't treated me shittily about the whole thing I would still be buying their stuff.

By comparsion, 15 years ago when I bought an HP desktop and it had a hardware failure, they cross-shipped me a replacement after a token phone conversation. ("We need you to power it on and run the onboard diagnostics." "Well, that's a problem because I pushed the power button and it won't even light up." "Ah, ok, what's your shipping address?")

• Thankfully, due to EU consumer law this wouldn't be a problem.

"It's dead, you've tried to fix it and failed, I'm taking my full refund as it is not for purpose."

End of story.

• Well, that just goes to show what a bunch of useless nanny state wankers Yurpeens are. Here in Murrica we take pride in our right to be ripped off by shoddy manufacturers! Free that market, baby! Yeah!

@lightsoff said:

"It's dead, you've tried to fix it and failed, I'm taking my full refund as it is not for purpose."

What's even better, it's the vendor who has to deal with the replacement, not the manufacturer:

"I don't care what fly-by-night Chinese sweatshop made this, that's your problem. Get me a working one like I have the right to expect, or give me my money back."

• @riking said:

Not booting is a :barrier: to heating up.

CLOSED_AS_FIXED
    Computer no longer overheats.