The bad words and counting topic

• ♿ (Parody)

@Rhywden said:

It is a bit problematic when it comes to rewriting books, though.

Heh...you hear about someone getting up in arms over Huck Finn every so often.

But there's a big difference between someone who wrote some fiction that's accurate as to how people spoke and acted and how someone talks in the present.

• Java Dev

Same here in The Netherlands. The question of whether Negerzoenen were actually named after niggers (I believe the most probable answer is no) is orthogonal to the issue.

• It was a plot point on House. House says “wouldn't want to get gypped” loudly in front of the patient's father, who starts in with “I'll have you know...”, giving the underlings time to run whatever tests they were being prevented from doing.

I don't really have a point here; all I came to this thread to say was that discrimination against Romany is apparently still ongoing, which was something I didn't know until I found out.

Filed Under: Nobody shares knowledge better than this.

• Fake News

@PleegWat said:

Same here in The Netherlands. The question of whether Negerzoenen were actually named after niggers people of color (I believe the most probable answer is no) is orthogonal to the issue.

PCTFY

• ♿ (Parody)

@Buddy said:

I don't really have a point here; all I came to this thread to say was that discrimination against Romany is apparently still ongoing, which was something I didn't know until I found out.

Are you surprised that you don't have many friends? 🚎

@Buddy said:

It was a plot point on House.

I vaguely remember that.

• @boomzilla said:

Asian cultures have typically come across as incredibly racist cultures to me.

I figure most people that have maintained their cultural identity into the present day are going to be—what's the word: Insular? Backwards? Conservative?—to some extent. I remember seeing the feed of some kid on twitter who cheered when a Native American got on the bus and started ranting drunkenly about “white people took my land”, just for the guy to turn around like “fuck off, you little queer”.

• @boomzilla said:

Are you surprised that you don't have many friends?

I have two friends, which is already one more than I need.

• @Buddy said:

@boomzilla said:

Your right and left hand don't count. :trollface:

• @Rhywden said:

@Buddy said:
    @boomzilla said:

Your right and left hands don't count. :trollface:

Sure they do. They go all the way up to ten.

• And with that I hope we're right back on track regarding the topic of this thread :)

• And I can count higher too: *puts hands above head* “one two three four five six seven eight nine ten”

• @Buddy said:

Sure they do. They go all the way up to ten.

No, actually each hand can only count to 5, between them they can count up to ten 😆

Oh, god! I'm glad this is the bad (taste) jokes topic. Because sooner or later some feminist is going to realise that men will always be able to count 1 higher, and use the rage of impotence to add fuel to their arson.

The Contributor of the above point would like to point out to any potentially impotent feminist out there, that the said comment is solely for the purpose of pushing the envelop of humour and does not in any way represent any opinion he has now, the past or in the future. Thank you.

• What, there going to step out of a time capsule from the seventies and do that? Feminists today would be more likely to come down on you for assuming that women don't have dicks.

• @Buddy said:

What, there going to step out of a time capsule from the seventies and do that? Feminists today would be more likely to come down on you for assuming that women don't have can't be dicks.

FTFY.

• @Buddy said:

Feminists today would be more likely to come down on you for assuming that women don't have dicks

My Point exactly 😆

• @loose said:

My Point

:giggity:

• @boomzilla said:

It's true. Mostly because I want to be able to sing this song...

Ewwww! To each his own, I guess. Well, I looked at the lyrics and, the way it's used, no problem here, it's not a derogatory use.

• 🚽 Regular

@RaceProUK said:

almost no demand for chimney sweeps any more as a result

There was a two month waiting list the last time I had to have mine done, it wasn't cheap either. Another burden of being (barely) middle class ;)

• FoxDev

Well, there are only about 4 sweeps in the whole country 😜

• @RaceProUK said:

Use of niggardly has dropped quite a lot since the 50s, according to Google:

Can't think wh- oh yeah, it's because people are stupid, and think that two totally unrelated words with completely different meanings yet sound similar mean the same thing.

Some people are homophonic

• The commercial features (and is narrated by) racists but it is not, in itself, racist.

And to think, it's from the country that brought us Garuda, one of the best non-Japanese kaiju movies. Sigh.

• @Buddy said:

Who would ever want to use herbal toothpaste anyway?

What kind of herbs? Spearmint is an herb, and it's probably the single most common flavoring for things like toothpaste.

• @boomzilla said:

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and assume racism went into the commercial.

That doesn't seem like the benefit of the doubt.

• IIRC, the name that should not be spoken comes from the same class of words that gave us Caucasian, Indian, Asian, Slavic and Mongol etc. So named because of some geographical feature of the area from which they originated. Not to be confused with American, European, Indian, African and Australian etc. Although the latter did give us Aborigine, which is now the proper noun for the Class.

It could be argued that any group that take offence at a collective noun used to describe them, like Estate Agents, Second Hand Car Sales Men or , more recently, Bankers take it upon themselves that they should be offended. And the mutability of the meaning of words eventually reflects the sentiment.

I mean, given the regard to towards say... PHP Programmers, who would admit to being one?

• BINNED

@PleegWat said:

Negerzoenen

Luckily in Flemish we can still call them nonnentetten

• ♿ (Parody)

@HardwareGeek said:

@boomzilla said:
    I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and assume racism went into the commercial.

That doesn't seem like the benefit of the doubt.

That's because of your cultural imperialism. In a racist culture, racism is a virtue.

• Maybe I'm just closed-minded, but I am really not willing to clean my teeth with black toothpaste.

• I suppose if you look at it from an advertiser's perspective, it makes a kind of sense. Say you've got what is presumably a great product, but nobody's willing to try it because it's black toothpaste for Christ's sake. Racial discrimination seems like a pretty easy analogy to make here.

• @loose said:

IIRC, the name that should not be spoken comes from the same class of words that gave us Caucasian, Indian, Asian, Slavic and Mongol etc. So named because of some geographical feature of the area from which they originated.

No, the name that should not be spoken is a corruption of Spanish negro, black.

Filed under: I am colored. Light brownish-pink is a color.

• @CoyneTheDup said:

I suppose it depends a lot on how it is used when it returns. Chimney sweeps used to be the lowest of the low on social scale in England; labeling someone a "chimney sweep," who wasn't, would have been a seriously derogatory attack. Yet we have a movie, with a chimney sweep as a starring role, "Mary Poppins."

Not that they weren't (or aren't, if you still have a wood-fueled appliance in your home) damn important -- about the only reason they aren't as common these days is because we rely on gas as a fuel. (Also -- I'm surprised nobody back then came up with a better idea than trying to squeeze someone down/up the chimney. Something like a brush on a shaft would probably be helpful...)

@Buddy said:

I think the point of pointing out that gypsy is a derogatory term is to bring people's attention to the fact that Romani are still being persecuted to this day, apparently.

Sad but true -- the great irony of it is that the persecution is based at least partly on the idea "wanderers can't be industrious", which isn't at all true in modern society -- just ask a truckdriver.

@Buddy said:

Insular?

I think that's the best word for it, yeah. Another weird irony of history -- half the problem with Native Americans and land was a failure to communicate at a deep level. (I wouldn't be surprised if there were quite a few tribes who would have made for fine neighbors once you got them on the same page re: land ownership and such.)

• @tarunik said:

Something like a brush on a shaft would probably be helpful

LOL. They had brushes, it's just that chimneys those days had kinks and obstructions in them that the brush could not get past, or would get stuck on on the way out. Hence the small child, as brushes were far more expensive.

• Java Dev

Isn't that religious discrimination?

• @CoyneTheDup said:

You used the term "racist etymology" in your original post. Let's see, what word could possibly be "derogatory" and have a "racist etymology"...hmmm...hmmm...hummm...Oh, wait, I've got it: nigger!

Did you even read the posts that lead up to what you replied to? Go on. Look. Here, I'll make it easy for you:

@CoyneTheDup said:

@boomzilla said:
    @Yamikuronue said:
    @RaceProUK said:
    Well, that's the first I'm hearing about that; on this side of the pond, gyp has never been associated with gypsies

I hadn't heard it talked about until I was an adult either, but it's pretty clear that's where it came from. We just try to pretend it's not these days.

Once everyone has forgotten that something used to be derogatory is it still derogatory? It seems to me to do more harm bringing up a racist etymology than just getting on with communication, in the same sense that supposedly talking about some false thing in order to point out how it's wrong ends up reinforcing it. I can't remember what they called it, but I recall some study talking about this a few years ago.

Any ways, scolding someone for innocently using a term that no one remembers was derived from racism just pisses off the people who are using the term (because you're falsely accusing them of racism) and possibly the people who were the original targets of the racism (Hey, those guys are racist towards me!).

Herp-a-derp, you're thinking of the word "nigger".

So, you were wrong. @boomzilla was thinking of "gyp", a word that may have been derived from racism but practically no one remembers that.

@CoyneTheDup's reading comprehension score: 0

@loose said:

Oh, god! I'm glad this is the bad (taste) jokes topic. Because sooner or later some feminist is going to realise that men will always be able to count 1 higher, and use the rage of impotence to add fuel to their arson.

Until some superior male points out that while boys can count count one higher than girls, women can count one higher than men.

That one left a nasty afterimage on the screen.

• @PleegWat said:

the two well-known Dutch people an American was likely to know,

Eddie and Alex Van Halen are the first two that come to my mind.

• @mott555 said:

the two well-known Dutch people an American was likely to know,

Eddie and Alex Van Halen are the first two that come to my mind.

You kids.

I had Mouth and Macneal.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@boomzilla said:

Once everyone has forgotten that something used to be derogatory is it still derogatory?

Speaking of which, my wife was reading something online this morning about jimmies--the things you put on ice cream, that some people call sprinkles--is supposedly racist. That sounds like twaddle to me, because the derivation was from Jim Crow, and you have to stretch pretty hard to connect anti-black laws to things you sprinkle on ice cream.

Also, I am behind so I don't know if anyone's brought it up yet but some English people are seeing (presumed imagined) racism in Jurassic World, early on, when someone says "the pachys are out of containment" or something. Apparently they're mishearing "the Pakis [...]" which seems unlikely given it's not a well-known term in the US, where the movie came from.

@CoyneTheDup said:

Those people who are still racist have not forgotten the word is derogatory,

Odd how black people keep using it, then.

@boomzilla said:

I vaguely remember that.

Even if you don't, it rings true because he did deliberately insult people to deflect from whatever he wanted people not to notice at the moment.

• ♿ (Parody)

@FrostCat said:

Also, I am behind so I don't know if anyone's brought it up yet but some English people are seeing (presumed imagined) racism in Jurassic World, early on, when someone says "the pachys are out of containment" or something. Apparently they're mishearing "the Pakis [...]" which seems unlikely given it's not a well-known term in the US, where the movie came from.

Even better. We DVR'd the first 3 Jurassic Park movies for the kids, who hadn't seen them before. We've watched one and two so far, and I noticed (because of this manufactured brouhaha) someone (I think it was Pete Postlethwaite's character) call them Pachys.

• @FrostCat said:

Speaking of which, my wife was reading something online this morning about jimmies

About what?

@FrostCat said:

the things you put on ice cream, that some people call sprinkles

You mean... sprinkles?

Where the fuck are you from that you call them "jimmies"?

• @blakeyrat said:

Sheesh. Don't rustle your sprinkles.

• @loose said:

They had brushes, it's just that chimneys those days had kinks and obstructions in them that the brush could not get past, or would get stuck on on the way out. Hence the small child, as brushes were far more expensive.

I'll have to look at what the IMC says about chimneys being bent like pieces of spaghetti, although the top of the fireplace itself does pose a bit of an obstacle what with the draft damper and its associated hardware.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

Blakeyrat is being aggressively provincial today

@loose said:

No, actually each hand can only count to 5

Actually if you count binary you can go to 16 or 32.

• @FrostCat said:

Actually if you count binary you can go to 16 or 32.

Actually, if you count binary you can go to 31 on one hand, or 63 with two.

@blakeyrat said:

Look, everyone, his jimmies are rustled and he doesn't even know.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@mott555 said:

Actually, if you count binary you can go to 31 on one hand, or 63 1023 with two.

FTFY

I'm not sure most people would want to add two 5 digit binary numbers together when there's a perfectly good 10 digit representation with far more counting range.

• @Placeholder said:

FTFY

Oops. :facepalm:

• To redeem myself, I will start, but not finish, a joke about how some, but not all, people can naturally count using 21-bit binary integers.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

:hand: :hand: 👣 👅?