Taylor Swift bitching that Apple doesn't pay her for free samples

• @locallunatic said:

@Buddy said:
    What about being able to pick up any book at all off the shelf and take it home without worrying1 that you're gonna get through 5 pages of it before realizing how shit it is?

If a book you bought is crap donate it. Yeah the people in the shelter or halfway house may have issues with shit you shovel at them, but they have something.

Or trade it in at your preferred bookstore. Many bookstores these days will give you credit for a used book. That's part of how I keep my spending low: I trade in books. Usually ones that friends and family don't want anymore and that I have no interest in, but sometimes I'll trade in books that I simply have lost interest in and don't have room for any longer.

• @Buddy said:

What about having a whole team of people keeping everything nicely alphabetized and Dewey-decimized?

Don't forget having them claim "You never returned it" only to find the book on their shelf a week later - sometimes even on the wrong shelf.

@Maciejasjmj said:

@Buddy said:
    What about being able to pick up any book at all off the shelf and take it home without worrying1 that you're gonna get through 5 pages of it before realizing how shit it is?

But you can set it on fire if it's egregiously shit. Can't do that with the library book.

Twighlight.

@Buddy said:

Well why don't you set fire to the whole god damn library then since you apparently hate them (libraries) so much?

Libraries do have a place. I'll use them to investigate a new series on occasion, especially if no one I know has ever heard of the author. After that, I either leave the series alone or go buy it for myself. I also use libraries to supplement my personal collection of children's books. Compared to novels, kids books are crazy expensive. Trying to keep my kids entertained with the small collection we have is a bit difficult, so we mix in additional books from the library.

• BINNED

@abarker said:

kids

+ kids books are age dependent, something to look at, something to listen to a story, something to read ...

• @abarker said:

Don't forget having them claim "You never returned it" only to find the book on their shelf a week later - sometimes even on the wrong shelf.

BTDT, more than once. First time was back in high school — a book I'd borrowed for an Art class that probably would have cost like two months earnings from a part-time job to replace.

• It also guarantees that you can read it. Books come/go at libraries. (I'm checking out Kindle books from my library now - but the selection is small compared to real books. Seriously thinking of Amazon Prime for access to their library)

• @abarker said:

Compared to novels, kids books are crazy expensive. Trying to keep my kids entertained with the small collection we have is a bit difficult, so we mix in additional books from the library.

We found a charity bookshop that sells ex-library books for $2 each. I take our two (~3 and ~4 y.o.) there every couple of months to top up their collection at sensible prices.

• @RTapeLoadingError said:

@abarker said:
    Compared to novels, kids books are crazy expensive. Trying to keep my kids entertained with the small collection we have is a bit difficult, so we mix in additional books from the library.

We found a charity bookshop that sells ex-library books for $2 each. I take our two (~3 and ~4 y.o.) there every couple of months to top up their collection at sensible prices.

That would be nice to have, but I don't think there's much chance of it happening in my area any time soon. The city library just opened up a new branch, so they have lots of available room and lots of new books. Not to mention that their two branches only provide ready access to about 1/3 of the city. The county library network tends to process their old books out at the other end of the county, about an hour drive away. Looks like I need to wait for the city library to have some kids books to process out.

• We also have Bookfest in Brisbane twice a year but I am not allowed to attend1. (Only by my wife, and only until we get more bookshelves.)

Do a GIS for Bookfest to get an idea of the number of books they have there.

1 Only by my wife, and only until we get more bookshelves

• @RTapeLoadingError said:

(Only by my wife, and only until we get more bookshelves.)

@RTapeLoadingError said:

1 Only by my wife, and only until we get more bookshelves

I hear an echo.

• @abarker said:

I hear an echo.

Yes, the wall with no bookshelf is a bit echoey

• Status: upset that this thread has a lowercase "bitch" in the title.

• Fake News

Oh, stop your COMPLAINing.

• Or become Enlightened.