FFVII remake coming, old fanbase thinks they own it.

• http://www.gamespot.com/videos/does-the-final-fantasy-vii-remake-need-a-new-battl/2300-6425461/?comment_page=7#js-message-343443432

They can't get it into their heads that turnbased rpgs are not getting the same amount of sales that they used to.

They reference a few indie games, and some low budget games that use turn based like it's still possible to make a triple-A title.

Now, it may work in east Asia, and may get enough profit out of America to be a decent game, but it won't revitalize the franchise unless they capture the American market again. And they won't do that unless they start competing with American RPGs.

And, I'm sorry, but an HD upgrade on the game without changing any aspect of it, isn't going to impress anything other than the strict fanboys.

Posted by Cas18927 - 6 hours ago @Xaade: they are making the remake because the fans asked, if they then go against them and do an action style they'll lose loads of money. You have to be true to the fans who actually care about the game.

No, they are making the remake because they think they can capitalize on it.

If you want the same game, it's on sale, in Steam.

If you want FFVII with more intensity and drama, you won't get that with ATB.

If you remake exactly FFVII in HD, it's going to look like a crappy turn based Diablo.

• Who cares? The original's a giant snore. They couldn't possibly make it less interesting or exciting.

• @blakeyrat said:

The original's a giant snore

It was entertaining at the time, up against games of its time.

But it's definitely a snore now, and that has nothing to do with the graphics.

I still replay FF6.

And I still find the old characters interesting in an action format like Kingdom Hearts.
    Quite literally, the only reason I played the game, was to be immersed in the FF franchise in an action format. The Disney aspects kept me cringing.

• I still enjoy whacking my party over their own heads in FF2. Man, this thing had a leveling system so broken it was hilarious.

Anyway. Yes, they can change the battle system, but that would alienate the old fanbase, and people who actually do want the turn-based slog, while those who look for a more action-based system have different, better games to play than a like 15-year-old game.

• SockDev

easy solution. you make the system selectable.

FFVI did that (at least in the GBA release, but i'm pretty sure it's in the others as well)

• Well, it's easy when you have ATB vs. straight turn-based, since they're mostly similar.

Button-mashing vs. turns would be a lot harder to both implement and balance.

• SockDev

still doable.

• Maybe. But it's almost guaranteed they'll get it wrong and one of the modes will be completely broken.

• @xaade said:

Now, it may work in east Asia, and may get enough profit out of America to be a decent game, but it won't revitalize the franchise unless they capture the American market again. And they won't do that unless they start competing with American RPGs.

They have FF15 and its button-mashing AI-partner assisted battle system for that.

If, after the disappointment of FF13, SE screws with FF7 to the point where it soils its legacy, then SE will permanently alienate the remaining fanbase that forms their in-built guaranteed sales audience. This is exactly the reason no-one at SE dared to white-list a full-on remake of FF7 before and why we got spinoff games that revisited the same setting instead.

The fact that they're doing it now, after the FF13 bomb, means one of two things: either they think they're capable of nailing it to perfection, or they're desperate. Sadly, I'm banking on #2.

As for ATB being 'stale'; you can spruce it up in different ways:

Make the scene more dynamic than two opposing lines of player characters and enemies, for one. There's no reason your party couldn't break formation and go with hit-and-run. Work in dynamic parrying, dodging and glancing hits on either side (no actual damage; cinematic purpose only) and suddenly you've got a modern take on ATB that looks a hell of a lot more pumped up.

Add some actual formation play. (i.e. break formation to increase dodge, huddle up to protect a centre mage, etc.) instead of the stale front-row / back-row concept. Add an option that instructs your party to move into a pincer and achieve a damage multiplier against an enemy. Etc.

• @Ragnax said:

'stale'

And sometimes, stale is good. I personally like turn-based RPGs exactly because they don't require that much of attention span, so I can pick them up when I'm tired and just want to shut my brain down for a bit.

• @Maciejasjmj said:

And sometimes, stale is good.

In this context; I agree. That is also why the quotes are there. 😉

• :belt_onion:

@Ragnax said:

The fact that they're doing it now, after the FF13 bomb, means one of two things: either they think they're capable of nailing it to perfection, or they're desperate.

oh they're definitely desperate.
    they failed at making an mmo version of the FF franchise to be worth a shit, twice!

the fanboys are lucky this isn't planned to be MMOFFVII failure #3

• @xaade said:

No, they are making the remake because they think they can capitalize on it.

Absolutely.

@xaade said:

If you want the same game, it's on sale, in Steam.

And the community already provides HD upgrades to a reasonable extent (as reasonable as a mid-1990's engine without skeletal deformation can support).

SE has been dead to me ever since they ruined X with X-2.

XII is a good game if you take "Final Fantasy" out of the title. Only two* of the playable characters were interesting (and horribly underdeveloped). Otherwise, it's rather bland.

*Balthier and Fran, of course.

• SockDev

@Groaner said:

X-2

To date, the only FF I've ever played. I got quite a long way through it too; found it rather enjoyable. But then that might have had something to do with the character designs…

• Maybe the solution is they make a RPG where you can actually build your character/party from scratch and then give them a huge open-world to explore where they can go any place at any time, and then remove the story that's so boring that you watch it for literally 90 minutes and absolutely nothing happens and not give any of the women creepy spider-eyes and basically just make Wizardry 9.

Fuck JRPGs. Worst genre.

• @blakeyrat said:

Fuck JRPGs

Was about to point out how your suggestions boiled down to making it a western style one.

• Good thing I spelled-out my joke in anticipation of my audience being stupid!

• Didn't japs make like a bunch of supposedly decent Wizardry games that were never localized?

At some point I even got one of them with a fan translation, but then I saw those anime faces and... just couldn't.

• The Japanese have kept the Wizardry brand alive longer than Sir-Tech in the US, yes.

However, they've never evolved the genre. They just keep remaking Wizardry I over and over again, which is insane. I actually have one of those games on Steam: Elimage Gothic. I found it nearly unplayable. (Being a PSP port didn't help the situation, either.)

• What if they copied and pasted the whole thing, but they replaced the game engine with Discourse?

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.