FrostCat's CORS topic or whatever

• @FrostCat said:

We had one Windows machine running IIS and another running Tomcat; the latter was using its preferred ports, which seemed to preclude being on the same domain.

I don't see how... it might (might) prevent them from being on the same domain name, but you could put one at iis.blah.com and the other at tomcat.blah.com and they'd be able to talk to each other fine.

It sounds to me like your admin is a panicky idiot.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

It sounds to me like your admin is a panicky idiot.

It looked like "being on the same domain" in same-origin-policy terms meant same TLD, same protocol, and same port. The two servers used different ports for reasons that aren't worth getting into, although we might have been able to move Tomcat to the standard ports. In the end, as I said, I found a different way to let the servers communicate (I wrote a reverse proxy. It was probably not the smartest way to do it, vs using someone else's, but that would've added cascading dependencies and I just wanted something that would work.)

Yes, the admin's an idiot, whether or not he's panicky. He's the guy I've mentioned once or twice that managed to single-handedly derail discussion of using source control years ago.

• @FrostCat said:

It looked like "being on the same domain" in same-origin-policy terms meant same TLD, same protocol, and same port.

This is true. With the exception that HTTPS can send requests to HTTP, but not vice-versa. (IIRC? Maybe different now.)

However, that has nothing to do with being unable to put both web servers on the same domain.

@blakeyrat said:

However, that has nothing to do with being unable to put both web servers on the same domain.

At that point it looked like the Tomcat server was also going to wind up with IIS on it, resulting in even more Rube Goldbergery, but which also meant we couldn't move Tomcat's ports, so I said fuck it and found something else to do.

There was a large amount of headdesking going on on my part.

• @FrostCat said:

Tomcat server was also going to wind up with IIS on it

Isn't that the electronic equivalent of mixing bleach with ammonia?

@redwizard said:

Isn't that the electronic equivalent of mixing bleach with ammonia?

Maybe? In the end we didn't do it.