Anyone know what .svn-base files are?

• Here's a WinDirStat profile of a single working copy. My CI build server has dozens of working copies because of different configurations, compilers, products, etc. These .svn-base files are killing disk space!

Obviously this has something to do with SVN state. Is there a way to optimize these? Some kind of SVN server maintenance/cleanup?

If I have to I can recursively blow all these away once the CI server does a checkout, it doesn't check in so it doesn't actually need SVN after the initial check-out.

(I'm also going to get all the BMP's turned into JPEG's, and still trying to track down what an MNL file is.)

• FoxDev

@mott555 said:

These .svn-base files are killing disk space!

i know what they are but i don't think that helps you.

SVN-BASE File Extension

File created by Subversion, an open source version control system; stores a base copy of a file that is checked out from the Subversion repository; used to compare the working copy of a project file against its latest checked out version.

Subversion creates SVN-BASE files locally on the developer's computer when files are checked out from the repository. This allows Subversion to compare changes to files locally without having to re-fetch them from the remote repository. In this manner, SVN-BASE files are like a cache.

SVN-BASE files are stored within a .SVN hidden directory of a Subversion project. They typically are hidden by default within IDEs that integrate with Subversion.

• kills Dumbledore

stores a base copy of a file that is checked out from the Subversion repository; used to compare the working copy of a project file against its latest checked out version

If you're only ever using SVN for checkouts, it sounds like they would be safe to delete.

• FoxDev

@Jaloopa said:

http://fileinfo.com/extension/svn-base

:hanzo:'d

:-P unattributed byt my info was C&Pd from the same page.

• kills Dumbledore

Yeah I recognised it. I wasted time looking into a few other links to see what the opinion was on deleting them. Generally bad, but always from the point of view of actually using SVN

• @mott555 said:

I'm also going to get all the BMP's turned into JPEG's

You should stick with PNG unless you're 100% sure it's ok to convert a lossless format to a lossy one. The PNGs will still be like 1/5th the size of uncompressed BMPs.

As for MNL, a Google shows Autodesk?

• kills Dumbledore

@mott555 said:

still trying to track down what an MNL file is

AutoCAD Menu LISP File apparently.

If you don't use AutoCAD, it's most likely some sort of internal file extension specific to your company

• @blakeyrat said:

You should stick with PNG unless you're 100% sure it's ok to convert a lossless format to a lossy one. The PNGs will still be like 1/5th the size of uncompressed BMPs.

Yeah, either will work and be a billion times better than what's currently there.

@blakeyrat said:

As for MNL, a Google shows Autodesk?

Probably just a file extension collision. We don't use AutoDesk stuff for anything and it wouldn't make sense for this particular project to have anything AutoDesk associated with it.

• The directory name the MNL files are in might give a clue.

• It's a virus and you should delete them all.

• @mott555 said:

If I have to I can recursively blow all these away once the CI server does a checkout, it doesn't check in so it doesn't actually need SVN after the initial check-out.

if you aren't going to use SVN. why don't use an export instead of checkout?

• The check-out is automatically done by Jenkins CI, I don't know if it has an option to export. But I'll look.

• Java Dev

Sounds like you need to do svn export instead of svn checkout.

:hanzo: