Zeldathong hype

• Nintendo sucks.

• So they're just... playing a game?

I'll wait for AGDQ.

• playing all the games

the appeal of zeldathon is that the chat isn't shit

• All of the streams you've linked me too so far have been like 57 bored guys all sitting around a couch saying nothing in creepy silence. You know, like the preview picture of that YouTube of the trailer.

I'm all for donating to charity, but you know those telethons they used to have on TV? They were actually... entertaining.

I think the problem is that while there are a lot of people who can do live entertaining comedy during a stream (Slowbeef and ChipCheezum come instantly to mind), none of them can do it for like 6 hours at a time. And who can blame them; especially playing Zelda games! You'd be out of material in like a half hour. "Oh look, here's the next shitty Zelda game of the roughly 58361 identical titles Nintendo released."

Besides all that, the only good Zelda game is Zelda II: Adventures of Link.

• @blakeyrat said:

Besides all that, the only good Zelda game is Zelda II: Adventures of Link.

This from the guy that thinks the fundamentally mis-designed Sonic games are the "best platformer(s) ever".

• @Bort said:

This from the guy that thinks the fundamentally mis-designed Sonic games are the "best platformer(s) ever".

Them's fighting words!

• Only because they're true words? There's a reason Nintendo is still around and that other company isn't...

Nintendo may be behind the curve in a lot of areas, but they have an arsenal of games that people crave.

• SockDev

@WernerCD said:

There's a reason Nintendo is still around and that other company isn't

Sega's still around; they're planning to release some Yakuza and Persona stuff this year. And the blue furball's getting a game this year too, albeit a mobile title. Well, already got; it was soft-launched in Canada a few months back.

• @WernerCD said:

There's a reason Nintendo is still around and that other company isn't...

Sega? They released a game like a month ago.

And yes there is a reason, that reason is Nintendo fans are really stupid and nostalgic.

@WernerCD said:

Nintendo may be behind the curve in a lot of areas,

Are there any areas where they're not?

I was actually thinking about buying a Wii-U until I found out:

1. You can't buy it without the stupidly-expensive dumb TV controller. (I don't need a SECOND screen and I'm not a little kid begging for TV time from my parents, how about selling a version with the Pro controller instead of making me pay $150 for a dumb controller I'd never use, then having to spend MORE money on top of that to get the normal controller.)

2. Downloaded games are tied to the hardware, not your account. Meaning, if Nintendo's shitty hardware fails, YOU JUST LOSE ALL YOUR MONEY FOREVER. WHAT THE FUCK!? Even the original Xbox Live download service on the original Xbox wasn't that fucking idiotic! How has Nintendo not been sued over thi-- oh right, nostalgic and stupid fans.

@WernerCD said:

but they have an arsenal of games that people crave.

Right; and it's all remakes of the same 5 games over and over and over and over and over and...

The only reason anybody buys any of them is nostalgia for the gaming system they had as a kid.

I have to admit, at least Splatoon is original.

• @blakeyrat said:

Right; and it's all remakes of the same 5 games over and over and over and over and over and...

I will admit it. I bought a Wii U recently just for smash bros, but I like that game. Sure, it's all the same game, but I only have the latest one.

@blakeyrat said:

the stupidly-expensive dumb TV controller.

I actually like this thing in some ways. They use it for some AR features sometimes, which I approve of. But yeah, when used as just another TV like smash bros does, it's worthless.

• SockDev

Lego City Undercover makes good use of the pad as a scanner/utility pad/map/shop thing. And Affordable Space Adventures uses it for the ship control panel, for engine settings, landing gear, stuff like that.

• Wind Waker HD makes good use of it, but that's yet another Nintendo remake.

• So it has features you don't/wont use. Maybe quite a few people won't use (I'd be happier with just a plain ole controller, but I have used the "tablet" features just often enough to not be useful, personally). But it's a fine line between an add-on that won't ever get developed for due to Chicken-Egg issues (360 Kinect)... and a standard feature that's somewhat unwanted and underutilized (X-Bone Kinect). Good reasons all around to include them, but possibly overkill. I also don't like their account system and hardware ties - like I said, Nintendo does have issues.

You can bemoan people being tied to nostalgia and known IP - but those ties are strong and they continually rehash those games in interesting and fun ways. Mario, Metroid and Zelda alone are games that have matured in great ways over the years.

Those ties to established IP is why Final Fantasy continues to print money (Final Fantasy 7 now on Android with shinier pixels!!!) as does remakes/rehashes of old movies (Fast and the Furious 87: Race to the Depends Factory) or brands like the Marvel Universe: They work. People want it.

Compared to new IP that underwhelms like Futureland (or whatever that new movie is) and it's very easy to see why companies reuse brands over and over and over...

• To be fair, the "tied to the device, not your NNID" is a pretty raw deal. (3DS has System Transfer but that doesn't work if the device doesn't work.)

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@hungrier said:

Wind Waker HD makes good use of it

Does it do anything more than plugging a GBA into a GC did? Because that was purely optional and a convenience feature.

• @Magus said:

I actually like this thing in some ways. They use it for some AR features sometimes, which I approve of. But yeah, when used as just another TV like smash bros does, it's worthless.

That's fine for you, but I don't want it, I'd never use it, and they charge extra to get the perfectly normal controller I'd want.

I mean, yeah, Microsoft pulled the same shit when they initially sold the XBone with Kinect and no option to opt-out of Kinect, but here's the difference: Microsoft FIXED THE SITUATION. Nintendo's still doing the shitty ass thing. And probably will until the end of time, since they generally have NO clue what the fuck they're doing and are just propped-up by moron nostalgic fans and (apparently?) toy sales now.

(And when you bought a Xbone with a Kinect, they gave you the normal controller too.)

@WernerCD said:

So it has features you don't/wont use.

But I have to pay for.

@WernerCD said:

I also don't like their account system and hardware ties - like I said, Nintendo does have issues.

SO STOP GIVING THEM MONEY UNTIL THE ISSUES ARE FIXED.

This is the problem: the "invisible hand" of capitalism doesn't fucking WORK if morons keep giving the company with defective products more money.

@WernerCD said:

You can bemoan people being tied to nostalgia and known IP - but those ties are strong and they continually rehash those games in interesting and fun ways.

Right; nostalgia. How does that change anything I said?

@WernerCD said:

Mario, Metroid and Zelda alone are games that have matured in great ways over the years.

Oh right. Metroid: Other M was a masterpiece of storytelling, as we've discussed on this forum many times.

@WernerCD said:

Those ties to established IP is why Final Fantasy continues to print money (Final Fantasy 7 now on Android with shinier pixels!!!)

Nostalgic morons. Yes, yes, I already said this. Stop repeating it.

@WernerCD said:

Compared to new IP that underwhelms like Futureland (or whatever that new movie is) and it's very easy to see why companies reuse brands over and over and over...

Tomorrowland failed because it's a terrible movie, according to every review I've seen. It has nothing to do with it being new IP.

@riking said:

To be fair, the "tied to the device, not your NNID" is a pretty raw deal. (3DS has System Transfer but that doesn't work if the device doesn't work.)

It's not a "pretty raw deal", it's a "this is so fucking customer-hostile HOW IS IT LEGAL?" kind of thing.

• This topic would be so much more interesting if it were zeldathong hype.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

Tomorrowland failed because it's a terrible movie, according to every review I've seen.

The first half of it was perfectly servicable if not groundbreaking. You'd probably hate it because of that last part, though.

• @FrostCat said:

@hungrier said:
    Wind Waker HD makes good use of it

Does it do anything more than plugging a GBA into a GC did? Because that was purely optional and a convenience feature.

It's totally different. The gamepad shows the menu in WWHD, letting you switch items and do stuff without pausing the game.

You can also play the game on the gamepad, in which case you do have to pause.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.