Probably duplicate but whatever - changing topic title causes next like to appear in notifications - edit 1

• FoxDev

Depends: does that MOAR POWER radio cause the RFID tag to rebroadcast at a higher power? Or would it just overload and fry the chip?

• I suspect that it's the former up to a point, as most tags (including contactless cards) don't have their own power source...

• FoxDev

@Gaska said:

Oh, you're right. One is for cash-less payments, and the other is for cash-less payments. I see it now.

yes. one is for cashless payments that my bank account pays on the spot (well no. but it promises to and settles up overnight with a bulk ECH)

the other is for cashless transactions that a credit agency pays on the spot and pays me a percentage of the transaction for using them (in the expectation that i will leave a revolving balance on the card letting them more than make up that payment in interest charges) that i pay in full at the end of the month with a bulk payment.

the word utility is a personal disambiguator as i have three credit cards, one emergency card for when big things happen and i need to deal with them now. one personal expense that i keep with a rediculously low credit limit (200$) for things like comic book purchases (keeps me from breaking the budget) and a utility one that i put budgeted expenses (groceries, gas, parking, rent, etc) on.

I also have a debit card, but i never use it because that doesn't earn me free money.

there's also the different fraud liability laws for credit vs debit. if my debit is fraudulently used i'm basically on the hook for all the stolen money, if my credit card is used i'm free and clear so long as i report it promptly.

• Are more title edits needed for people's testing? Cause it is looking like we need to name this something about explaining cards and reference terms thereto (or like half the posts jeffed).

• Banned

As a programmer, you should recognize that those things have very much in common, so although different, there should be a common term to be able to refer to any of them. I'm not saying the current terms are wrong - they're alright, just not practical in most cases. I acknowledge that my statement all those posts ago might have been ambiguous on this part, but if you're looking for the English language suckiness, check out the one which started with magic numbers and ended with transgender Orwell.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Gaska said:

English language suckiness

One man's suckage is another woman's chore. What?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@tarunik said:

What's to stop somebody from bringing MOAR POWER to the party and pointing a higher-powered/more-sensitive interrogator at you from further away? (Other than violating radio regs, that is)

Nothing, depending on range.

• This is correct - the EuroPay protocol (aka chip&pin or contactless) uses "Security Through Litigation" (or other methods of contract enforcement).

• FoxDev

@Gaska said:

As a programmer, you should recognize that those things have very much in common, so although different, there should be a common term to be able to refer to any of them.

"card" or "plastic" seem to be the common terms for that here.

"credit" or "debit" are general disambiguators,

individual disambiguators seem to be either purpost (personal/business/utility) or vendor(LLBean,Sears) or even carrier(AmEx, Discover, Visa)

english is full of those little annoyances, and worse they vary region to region.

@Gaska said:

just not practical in most cases.

not it may be my native speaker privelage speaking here, but i've never had a problem with the terms, they're just kinda what they are.

• kills Dumbledore

@accalia said:

rediculously

🍊

@accalia said:

privelage

Are you doing this on purpose?

• FoxDev

@Jaloopa said:

Are you doing this on purpose?

I swear by the goddess above who shields and protects us all that i am not.

i was actually trying more than usual to not typo in that post.

• kills Dumbledore

Those look more like actual misspellings than typos. Rediculous is one that makes me particularly infuriated for no good reason

• Banned

Calm dawn.

• kills Dumbledore