Probably duplicate but whatever - changing topic title causes next like to appear in notifications - edit 1



  • As in topic.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    Title edited...



  • You don't believe me by word?


  • SockDev

    @Gaska said:

    You don't believe me by word?

    well we've got to figure out a way to trigger the bug ourselves for independant verification. ;-)



  • If you can't figure out the way from the topic title alone, there's no hope for you as a programmer.


  • SockDev

    What steps do you think people are following? Or are you just going round trying to piss people off for fun?


  • SockDev

    have you seen discourse code?!

    i'm absolutely, unrepentantly insane because i love working with javascript, and let me tell you discourse code makes me want to go screaming home to my mommy.

    also.... humor. I see i need to recategorize who is in what sort of humor bucket.



  • @RaceProUK said:

    What steps do you think people are following?

    The steps I provided in the topic, except for @accalia, whose post sounds like she tries to get there completely on her own.

    @RaceProUK said:

    Or are you just going round trying to piss people off for fun?

    Welcome to the Internet. You must be new here.

    @accalia said:

    also.... humor. I see i need to recategorize who is in what sort of humor bucket.

    Put me in "realizes joke and tries to subvert it in something more funny, but sometimes fails and makes it not funny at all" one.


  • SockDev

    @Gaska said:

    The steps I provided in the topic, except for @accalia, whose post sounds like she tries to get there completely on her own.

    Admittedly, I have an unfair advantage here, but I suggest you check whether your sense of humour is still working properly.



  • @RaceProUK said:

    Admittedly, I have an unfair advantage here

    Advantage is only unfair if you're communist. Or during sports games.

    @RaceProUK said:

    but I suggest you check whether your sense of humour is still working properly.

    I know it isn't. People constantly mistake my light-hearted snarky remarks for serious answers born due to missing the jokes. And they don't even like me enough to flag me for whooshing.


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    @Gaska said:

    light-hearted snarky remarks

    Huh. So that's what you were aiming for.



  • See? No one realized until I spoke it out.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @Yamikuronue said:

    @Gaska said:
    light-hearted snarky remarksflag me for whooshing

    Huh. So that's what you were aiming for.


    You clearly quoted the wrong part of his post. FTFY.

    Filed Under: You can thank me later :D



  • OOOOHHHHH THAT'S WHAT"S CAUSING IT <!-- ALL CAPS POSTS ARE CooL -->



  • If I were aiming for whooshes, I'd make it more obvious and less aggressive. Think logically.


  • SockDev

    @Gaska said:

    Put me in "realizes joke and tries to subvert it in something more funny, but sometimes fails and makes it not funny at all" one.

    i don't have that particular category... and unfortunately i've run out of buckets to add new categories with.... i'll just have to see how close i can get you to there with the categories i have.


  • SockDev

    @Gaska said:

    except for @accalia, whose post sounds like she tries to get there completely on her own.

    I do try to independantly verify, yes. using the reported reproduction steps first, then attempting variation on the reproduction steps to determing the locality of the bug. if only the reproduction steps produce buggy behavior it's highly localized to that path, if multiple paths produce the buggy behavior it's likely localized to some shared part of the code paths.

    in testing this way i can gather more information about the bug and more easily track it down and smash it with my pikopiko hammer chew toy.



  • @accalia said:

    and unfortunately i've run out of buckets to add new categories with....

    Then fix your damn hashmap!

    @accalia said:

    if only the reproduction steps produce buggy behavior it's highly localized to that path, if multiple paths produce the buggy behavior it's likely localized to some shared part of the code paths.

    My gut feeling says "the should-notif-about-this-particular-action counter is tied to topic title rather than topic ID", and I didn't even have to know where the Discourse source is located to deduce it. I might be wrong, but I'm 90% sure I'm right.


  • area_deu

    REPRO idea:

    change title, change title back, see if stuff happens?


  • SockDev

    @Gaska said:

    My gut feeling says "the should-notif-about-this-particular-action counter is tied to topic title rather than topic ID", and I didn't even have to know where the Discourse source is located to deduce it. I might be wrong, but I'm 90% sure I'm right.

    I used to think like that, but then I took an exception to the kneegot bitten on the ass because of it one too many times


  • SockDev

    @Gaska said:

    Then fix your damn hashmap!

    what hashmap? these are 5gal buckets i got them in bulk from HomeQuarters when they went under and were selling off their inventory at ridiculously cheap prices.



  • I thought everyone stores their buckets in hashmaps these days. Not doing this is like not using debit card to pay for groceries.



  • @aliceif said:

    REPRO idea:

    change title, change title back, see if stuff happens?


    Appropriate meme:
    http://lh6.ggpht.com/_W_UUsalzbr8/S6J-6mf1_eI/AAAAAAAADOI/aQ2uevTF0Kk/s1600/niech ktoś.jpg

    translation: "SOMEONE DO IT"


  • SockDev

    @Gaska said:

    Not doing this is like not using debit card to pay for groceries.

    i don't. i use my utility credit card for that.

    supposedly that card had a 22% interest rate but i havent paid any interest on it as i pay the balance in ful the first of every month.

    that way i earn tons of rewards bucks.



  • @accalia said:

    i don't. i use my utility credit card for that.

    Damn you English speakers! Why you have so many different kinds of cards and not a single common term? Here in Poland, we say "paying card" (karta płatnicza), regardless if it's credit, debit, utility or whatever.


  • SockDev

    @Gaska said:

    Damn you English speakers!

    guilty as charged your honour.

    @Gaska said:

    Why you have so many different kinds of cards and not a single common term?

    discoursistency?


  • SockDev

    @Gaska said:

    Why you have so many different kinds of cards and not a single common term?

    Because they have different purposes?



  • @Gaska said:

    Why you have so many different kinds of cards and not a single common term?

    There is - "card" is the common term. Then credit/debit to distinguish between the two where required.

    Then some people have separate debit or credit cards for different purposes - and they add another word to cover that.

    If you had, say, two cards - one for bills, one for everything else - would you call one the "bills card" to distinguish?



  • @RaceProUK said:

    Because they have different purposes?

    Oh, you're right. One is for cash-less payments, and the other is for cash-less payments. I see it now.

    @loopback0 said:

    There is - "card" is the common term. Then credit/debit to distinguish between the two where required.

    Well, "card" can mean many more things, for example playing card, or access control card, or phone card, or many others. I think it's cultural thing - in Poland it's common to say "paying card" instead of just "card" despite the context makes it absolutely clear even without it.

    @loopback0 said:

    If you had, say, two cards - one for bills, one for everything else - would you call one the "bills card" to distinguish?

    Well, I guess I would. I have two cards in my wallet - one is my private debit card which I call a paying card, and the other is employer-issued debit card that can only be used in restaurants and food stores, which I call food card.


  • SockDev

    @Gaska said:

    One is for cash-less payments, and the other is for cash-less payments.

    You are aware credit and debit payments are different things, right?



  • I've only ever seen the term "debit card" on online payment service sites, only in expressions like "credit or debit card". I believe they are like credit cards except for the credit part. Am I much off the target?


  • SockDev

    Pretty close. Debit cards pay directly from the linked bank account, whereas credit cards are funded by a credit agency you later pay back.



  • Don't forget about charge cards.



  • In Poland, credit cards have their own subaccounts separate from the main account, so technically it's still "directly from the linked bank account".


  • SockDev

    @loopback0 said:

    Don't forget about charge cards.

    Never had a need to use them, so I have no idea how they work. Y'know, other than the normal 'shove in reader and enter PIN' bit.



  • @RaceProUK said:

    the normal 'shove in reader and enter PIN' bit.

    From what I heard, it's hardly "normal" in USA.


  • SockDev

    *is wondering if you've noticed the not-at-all-ISO code in her username*



  • Do I need to talk to an American to make fun of Americans?


  • SockDev

    It's more fun that way ;)


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    @Gaska said:

    it's hardly "normal" in USA.

    My husband's got a debit card with a chip on it now, and he actually spotted a reader in the wild the other day :)



  • We're getting contactless now - just hold your card next to the reader. Paid like that last time I went to the movies.


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    That's all over the place here.


  • BINNED

    It's increasingly common here, for a limit of £20 per transaction. I'm still not entirely convinced it's not a huge security WTF though



  • @Yamikuronue said:

    @Gaska said:
    it's hardly "normal" in USA.

    My husband's got a debit card with a chip on it now, and he actually spotted a reader in the wild the other day :)

    My Amex card has a chip. I use it at the grocery store all the time, but I never realized they had readers in the card devices until I saw a lady using one. But then, my son usually likes to come with me and he swipes the card, so technically I don't even swipe my card.


  • SockDev

    It works via RFID, so if you're paranoid about it, you can get a shielded wallet; shouldn't be an issue though, as the effective range is a few inches


  • BINNED

    @RaceProUK said:

    you can get a shielded wallet

    I'm quite tempted

    @RaceProUK said:

    shouldn't be an issue though, as the effective range is a few inches

    What's to stop someone with a small handheld payment device running it over a load of people's pockets on a crowded bus or train? Couple of quid each, with a small enough amount hat they wouldn't notice, you could make quite a lot if you were careful


  • SockDev

    @Jaloopa said:

    What's to stop someone with a small handheld payment device running it over a load of people's pockets on a crowded bus or train?

    The fact you'd need a reliable Internet connection to do so, and that's far from guaranteed.


  • BINNED



  • @Jaloopa said:

    What's to stop someone with a small handheld payment device running it over a load of people's pockets on a crowded bus or train?

    The fact that he would need to register as a business then sign a contract with card operator, so any fraudulent activity would be quickly found out and the responsible party apprehended.



  • @RaceProUK said:

    shouldn't be an issue though, as the effective range is a few inches

    What's to stop somebody from bringing MOAR POWER to the party and pointing a higher-powered/more-sensitive interrogator at you from further away? (Other than violating radio regs, that is)


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.