Steam "Support"

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Luhmann said:

The History books even handled the falling of the Berlin wall and at that time it was less then 10 years down.

I stopped formally learning history years before the Berlin wall came down. (The surprising thing about that period was just how little violence ensued. Except against the Ceaușescus in Romania, of course…)

@aliceif said:

You seriously overestimate kids. Don't forget, I'm talking about up to 12-year-olds. They are dumb fucks.

Bah. I watched a ton of Bugs Bunny and Tom and Jerry cartoons (among many others) even as a little kid (younger than 12), and I never pushed anyone off a cliff, dropped an anvil on them, or hit them with a frying pan (that's not an exhaustive list).

@Maciejasjmj said:

Stop presenting opposing points to me, I don't know who to argue.

Argue with 'em both.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Luhmann said:

@boomzilla said:
    History classes almost never get that far.

:wtf: and I felt bad because I couldn't remember if we handled Congo during high school. The History books even handled the falling of the Berlin wall and at that time it was less then 10 years down.

Yeah, usually lucky if you get much past WWII, IME. We spend a lot of time on slavery and the Civil War, typically.

• @boomzilla said:

I've never heard of it (not that you thought it did). I have taught my kids that without Hiroshima (and Nagasaki) the world would have been a lot worse. Many more Japanese would have died (especially women and children). Ditto for Americans, and given my grandfather's role in the planned invasion, possibly we would never have been born.

I can only imagine what the results of anyone trying to invade Japan proper would be...

[spoiler]
    in a word, bloodbath
    [/spoiler]

• ♿ (Parody)

Certainly at the time.

• You ought to try their anally retentive "requirements" to unlock / recover an Account. That is a literal, metaphorical and physically a serious WTF!!!.

You have to provide (literally using wooden table technology) proof of your original CD Key. Furthermore, they (apparently - according to the "instructions") have the ability to "detect" if had been 'shopped.

Their main assumption is that your CD Key came on a separate artefact (card or sticker). My original game CD predated Steam by several years - I was one of the first wave of purchasers, so my CD key is printed on a clear label attached to the exterior of the CD case. Without enhancement it is unreadable, so I enhanced it by placing some white paper under it (between the inlay card and the acrylic case), and explained the situation.

They didn't like that, and (not so politely) requested I resend the image sans paper.

I couldn't really be arsed.

• Try again now!

You can request a refund for nearly any purchase on Steam—for any reason. Maybe your PC doesn't meet the hardware requirements; maybe you bought a game by mistake; maybe you played the title for an hour and just didn't like it.

It doesn't matter. Valve will, upon request via help.steampowered.com, issue a refund for any reason, if the request is made within fourteen days of purchase, and the title has been played for less than two hours. There are more details below, but even if you fall outside of the refund rules we’ve described, you can ask for a refund anyway and we’ll take a look.

The Steam refund offer, within two weeks of purchase and with less than two hours of playtime, applies to games and software applications on the Steam store. Here is an overview of how refunds work with other types of purchases.

EDIT: Sorry for getting your hopes up:

Refunds on Gifts
    We are unable to offer refunds for gifts after they have been redeemed by the recipient.

@Maciejasjmj said:

I played violent shooters since I was like 12 and didn't have the urge to get a gun and shoot people around me until I became a software developer, so there.

Meanwhile, in the previous generation...

If Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

• BINNED

Shit. I'm out of pills.

• @JazzyJosh said:

Refunds on Gifts
    We are unable to offer refunds for gifts after they have been redeemed by the recipient.

Was it actually redeemed or did it tell him he couldn't use it when he tried to redeem it?

• @ben_lubar said:

Was it actually redeemed or did it tell him he couldn't use it when he tried to redeem it?

He tried to redeem it, that's close enough, right? Otherwise, Steam would have to give the money back, and I think we can guess how they feel about that...

• @boomzilla said:

+뿧

That may be the best Unicode +thing I've seen yet.

• Which is better: $10 for a game that someone wasn't able to play or a happy customer that comes back and buys more games?

• @boomzilla said:

Yeah, usually lucky if you get much past WWII, IME. We spend a lot of time on slavery and the Civil War, typically.

In the days before teaching students to regurgitate answers on standardized tests so the schools don't get low scores, it was pretty typical that a course was intended to cover certain material, but the class would spend more time discussing this or that, either because the students had trouble grasping it or because they were interested and wanted to dig deeper, so that not everything would get covered before the end of the semester. In a class like History, where material is taught in chronological order, more recent events tended to be discussed only briefly, if at all.

I can remember, vaguely, talking about Viet Nam — at a rather shallow level — in junior high and early high school, as current events, not history. I never had a History class that even attempted to cover post-WWII until college. I learned stuff I didn't know about how we got into the Viet Nam war, but the teacher definitely wasn't teaching NPOV; it was pretty obvious where on the liberal-conservative spectrum she resided. (It wasn't conservative.)

• ♿ (Parody)

@HardwareGeek said:

I can remember, vaguely, talking about Viet Nam — at a rather shallow level — in junior high and early high school, as current events, not history.

I'm a bit younger, but I do recall covering Vietnam briefly in my high school AP US History class.

@HardwareGeek said:

I learned stuff I didn't know about how we got into the Viet Nam war, but the teacher definitely wasn't teaching NPOV; it was pretty obvious where on the liberal-conservative spectrum she resided. (It wasn't conservative.

While it's still a problem for "ancient" stuff, it's very difficult to teach very recent things in a history class.

• @ben_lubar said:

Which is better: $10 for a game that someone wasn't able to play or a happy customer that comes back and buys more games?

Well, the way most companies reason these days: "The $10 in our hand that the customer paid and can't play is worth much more than two $10 bills in the bush."

@boomzilla said:

While it's still a problem for "ancient" stuff, it's very difficult to teach very recent things in a history class.

With recent history, you can teach about primary sources and just how messily complicated it all really is; there's necessarily no clear dividing line between history and politics (for example). With ancient history, you can teach a larger fraction of what's actually known (because we know so much less) but you have to rely on second- or third-hand accounts.