Star Citizen: 80$ Million Dollar Leaky Faucet

• Star Citizen is the largest crowd-funded game currently in development, brought to you by Chris Roberts of Wing Commander fame(and Strike Commander infamy). Over the weekend one of the developers posted a screen shot of the newest module on Twitter. In the background was a visible HTTPS URL.

I think you can see where this is going.

Apparently said URL lead to a torrent file that contained 40GB of internal assets. I guess everyone at CIG missed the Security 101 bits about authentication and authorization. At least the transport was encrypted, right?

Now off I go to change a password!

• It's fitting that --no-preserve-common-sense is the first "suggested topic" in the bottom area for me.

@MathNerdCNU said:

Star Citizen is the largest crowd-funded game currently in development

Interesting weasel words. It's almost like you crafted them explicitly to exclude Broken Age, Yooka-Laylee, and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.

• @MathNerdCNU said:

In the background was a visible HTTPS URL.
    I wish I was a big game dev so I could do that. But make it be a 10 GB file encrypted with some reasonably light encryption. And have it be "Never Gonna Give You Up" or something looped 100x.

• You do realize Star Citizen original started its funding campaign through the CIG website, not via Kickstarter? Now we could debate when did it turn from crowd-funding to whale-harpooning, but Star Citizen still raised more than any of those other projects to date via crowdfunding.

• @MathNerdCNU said:

Star Citizen is the largest crowd-funded game currently in development,

I still think it's some kind of weird pyramid scheme. Considering how much money has flown around and how little game we've seen.

I heard about this leak, but I foolishly assumed it involved, you know, hacking. I didn't realize some moron just posted the file for everybody to see, sheesh.

• @MathNerdCNU said:

Apparently said URL lead to a torrent file that contained 40GB of internal assets

A torrent file? They keep their assets under torrents?

Either it's a controlled leak, or they're batshit insane and probably unable to get up from beds, let alone make a game.

• I'll be the first to raise my hand to be publicly shamed if Star Citizen actually delivers on any of its promises.

As it stands, it's either one of two things:

1. A massive abuse of faking donations in order to drive investor money,

2. A huge fucking scam.

Could be either of those. I doubt the game will ever deliver on anything it promised. I also have huge doubts on the validity of most of the cash money they say they've gathered over all these years.

• area_can

Maybe it's some sort of viral marketing.

• Impossible. They were using HTTPS, that means they were perfectly secure. And if you say otherwise you're a NSA sympathizer.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.