The newlevator is BROKEN (may be a staff only bug)

• mod

Yes, you read that right. The stupid thing doesn't work right. It's navigating based on … well let's get those terms defined before we worry about that.

Ok, so we all know that posts are defined by multiple numbers in discourse. There are:

1. post_id This is the absolute ID of a post in the entirety of discourse. Has little meaning within a topic.
    2. post_number This is the id of a post within a topic, including its relation to deleted, moved, and hidden posts. This number is constant and may or may not relate to the post's position when displayed.
    3. post_position This is the displayed position of the post within the context of its topic. This number can change.

For example, the post quoted below has post_id = 416494, post_number = 259, and (at time of this writing) post_position = 255.

@boomzilla said:

@abarker said:
    I confess, I'm actually helping with this one.

No one actually likes that thing, though.

Now that we've got the terms defined:

You would expect that the newlevator would navigate by post_position, right? Well you'd be wrong. It's navigating by post_number.

Go ahead, try it in What favorite UI element will we lose next? Hopefully not flags.. Try navigating to post_position 150. What's that? it's not even on the screen? Well, post_number 150 is. Isn't that what you wanted?

For the curious: if you try to navigate to a deleted post_number, it just takes you to the next undeleted post. Try going to 59 or 60 in the linked topic.

• @abarker said:

Try navigating to post_position 150.

It dumped me to post #154. I don't know how many posts are deleted/hidden in the topic before that point, but if it's 4, I'd have to say NOREPRO.

@abarker said:

Try going to 59 or 60 in the linked topic.

Got the blue highlight on post #'s 63 and 64, respectively.

Of course, the "newlevator doesn't highlight correctly when a new topic gets its first reply streamed in" bug still exists, and looks worse due to the new theme:

• mod

• mod

Here's what I landed when I tried going to 150:

Here's where I should have landed:

Could it be that it's a staff only bug?

• Possibly. I end up where you say it "should have" landed. You'd need to ask @PJH or @boomzilla to try and repro to be sure?

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

I end up here:

Steps:

1. Click newlevator
    2. Type 150 in the box
    3. hit enter

• As do I, which is post #154, but in position 150 for us, since we can't "see" deleted posts.

• I end up there too.

• mod

@ChaosTheEternal said:

As do I, which is post #154, but in position 150 for us, since we can't "see" deleted posts.

For staff they don't directly show up. I see where they were, but I have to take action to display them.

• Deleted post numbers: 56, 57, 59 and 60

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.