To be pedantic, or not to be pedantic, that is the question

• sockdevs

Continuing the discussion from Spartan, what are you doing?:

@RaceProUK said:

Small point: when Roman numerals were invented, there was no such thing as lower-case; that didn't arrive until the Middle Ages and the Renaissance. So Roman numerals having a lower-case form is, technically, incorrect; they're actually 'medieval Roman numerals'.

hmm.... it's not being pedantic about ancient greek, but does it qualify for a :badger:?

• area_deu

No.

• sockdevs

You don't have to repay the favour, y'know ;)
    OK, my flag didn't directly lead to your :badger:, but it did draw @boomzilla's attention enough to see the post that earned it

But no, @aliceif is right; it's not enough for a :badger:

• Agreed.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Pedantry: 7/10
    Dickweedery: 0/10

No :fa_flag: for her.

• That's a 7? I think our standards are slipping.

• sockdevs

I wouldn't rate it a 7, and I wrote it!

• sockdevs

@loopback0 said:

I think our standards are slipping.

I've been saying that about whoosh flags for ages now!

@accalia said:

I've been saying that about whoosh flags for ages now!

It's not like whoosh flags are the bastinado or something.

• Only because you're on the receiving end.

• sockdevs

She's not the only one who thinks they're too readily flagged and awarded.

At some point, I'm going to go through all 25 of the SQL-awarded whoosh badges, and work out which ones actually deserve it, and which don't; I expect to find quite a few that are, shall we say, 'opportunistic'. I would go through the 22 old-style ones too, but they don't link to the posts in question.

• Right. Fine. But it's still all subjective. You're 1 person and each awarded flag is because 3(ish) people have considered it worthy. There have been several silly whoosh flags (with varying recipients) where @PJH and/or @boomzilla have refused to award because they're proper daft. There's already a "you're all being silly and flag happy" filter.

• sockdevs

And yet, there are still badges being awarded where the recipient didn't have the knowledge to get the joke, and at least one where the badge was awarded despite the recipient realising her mistake and deleting the post within two minutes of posting it. That is why I feel they're too readily awarded. And I'm going to build a case for it to be reviewed.

• :wambulance:

It's still just people goofing off. Don't take that stuff so seriously.

• @RaceProUK said:

the recipient didn't have the knowledge to get the joke, and at least one where the badge was awarded despite the recipient realising her mistake and deleting the post within two minutes of posting it.

They still missed it. That's what the badger is based on. You're taking this more seriously than you need to.

• sockdevs

I'm still going to review the badges. If I only find a couple that are suspect, then I'll drop the matter. If, however, I find a significant proportion are suspect, then I shall continue to press the issue.

• Carry on, @RaceProQuixote.

• @accalia said:

To be pedantic, or not to be pedantic, that is the question

Technically; it's "to be a pedant, or not to be a pedant".

(Guilty as charged, btw.)

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@boomzilla said:

Carry on, @RaceProQuixote.

I would have went with @blakeyproUK.

• sockdevs

I know you're just having fun, but please don't compare me to that cancerous excuse for a human being

• @boomzilla said:

people goofing off.

Mostly you.

Filed under: Not doing your job

• @RaceProUK said:

I'm still going to review the badges. If I only find a couple that are suspect, then I'll drop the matter. If, however, I find a significant proportion are suspect, then I shall continue to press the issue.

Filed under: :badger: gate

@RaceProUK said:

I know you're just having fun, but please don't compare me to that cancerous excuse for a human being

I am just having fun, and I do like you, but the comparison is fair as you are vastly over thinking a case where people are just goofing off and having fun and talking about making a Supreme Court case of it. That sounds exactly like him. :-P

Now, if you start flipping your shit when people derail your threads, I will start a petition to change your username. ;-)

@RaceProUK said:

She's not the only one who thinks they're too readily flagged and awarded.

This seems to have you rankled.

Geez, it's not as if we're making fun of her for being a four-eyes, and tbh (and I do hate to mention it) but you're kind of beating a dead horse by keeping bringing this up. I think the consensus is it annoys her enough that people stopped doing it, but this is like the 4th or 5th time you've mentioned it.

The badge is harmless.

• The question is "Who lives in a pineapple under the sea"

@RaceProUK said:

And I'm going to build a case for it to be reviewed.

Dude. You've gotten this bee way too far under your bonnet. I wouldn't have even said this if you didn't keep on bringing it up, just so you know, and I really hate to post this.

Your repeated calling flagging "bullying" cheapens the term, frankly, and if you feel quite honest, I feel the tiniest bit bullied because you keep on bringing it back up. And then I feel a bit ashamed of myself and play violent video games.

@RaceProUK said:

I shall continue to press the issue.

Who, exactly, are you going to petition for redress? You make it sound like there's a Ye Olde Grievance Committee.

@loopback0 said:

Filed under: Not doing your job

Now wait, I thought he was abusing his job.

• The lightbulb 💡 looks kind of like a uterus. And so does the 🎉.

• The Spongebob topic is :arrow_bullying:

• Who died and made you @blakeyCat?

@loopback0 said:

Who died and made you @blakeyCat?

Nobody. I was channeling him.

• Well now you're just bullying him.

• sockdevs

@Polygeekery said:

I am just having fun, and I do like you, but the comparison is fair as you are vastly over thinking a case where people are just goofing off and having fun and talking about making a Supreme Court case of it. That sounds exactly like him.

Except I'm keeping calm and reasonable about this; I've already stated that, if I find only a few badges seem suspicious, then I'll drop the issue.
    @Polygeekery said:
    Now, if you start flipping your shit when people derail your threads, I will start a petition to change your username.

If that happens, it'll be

1. Hypocritical; I've derailed a fair few threads I'm sure ;)
    2. I'll force myself to take a break from the forum, and come back calmer

@FrostCat said:

This seems to have you rankled.

A little, yeah.
    @FrostCat said:
    frankly, and if you feel quite honest, I feel the tiniest bit bullied because you keep on bringing it back up.

I can assure you, that is not my intention, and if you feel that way, then I can only offer my apologies.
    @FrostCat said:
    Who, exactly, are you going to petition for redress?

If I find enough badges I think need a second look, then I'll start a topic in this section and canvas for opinion. After that… well, it depends on what feedback I get ;)
    @Captain said:
    The lightbulb 💡 looks kind of like a uterus. And so does the 🎉.

💡 kinda, 🎉 less so. Unless it's queefing :laughing:
    @loopback0 said:
    Well now you're just bullying him.

*looks around*
    …who? :stuck_out_tongue:

whoosh recognized - abarker

• I was thinking felopian and ovaries. 🎉

• sockdevs

…hmm, I can sorta see what you mean…

• @RaceProUK said:

looks around…who?

It's not you or The Fox. No badgers involved. Don't panic.

• sockdevs

@loopback0 said:

Don't panic.

What means 'panic'? ;)

In all seriousness, I can't figure out who you're talking about, hence asking.

• sockdevs

@RaceProUK said:

In all seriousness, I can't figure out who you're talking about, hence asking.

...... :facepalm:

i'm the queen of whoosh apparently and i got it....

@loopback0 said:

Don't panic blink.

FTFDW

@accalia said:

i'm the queen of whoosh apparently and i got it....

If you get it, and someone else doesn't...it should be an automatic badger without debate. ;-)

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

Did you know Earth developed small eccentricity in it's orbit?

It's Douglas Adams, spinning in his grave after reading this conversation...

• Quite. Following the reply chain and seeing a reference to @blakeyCat might make it clear.

• Also I'd flag for whoosh if I was sure which post the whoosh started at.

Filed under: Bully circle!

@loopback0 said:

Well now you're just bullying him.

Everyone's a bully! :badger:s for everyone!

• sockdevs

…fuck.

@PJH, one whoosh badge please; I really should have got that :blush:

And fuck it, I'm not gonna bother reviewing the others; clearly I'm not in a position to judge them honestly :laughing:

@RaceProUK said:

looks around

Did someone...miss a joke?

• sockdevs

Yes; see two posts up :blush:

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@FrostCat said:

Everyone's a bully! :badger:s for everyone!

That's what we have T-1000 for.

And man, it's so weird having nested quotes working now, I keep having to actually remove them.

• Bully.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.