LG webOS SDK

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

Have you even heard of "only on IE6" features before? Am I crazy here, or is Magus?

Are you too young to remember the <marquee> tag, or the fact that MS invented iframes in response to Netscape's asinine layers? Just like Netscape invented <blink>. None of these started out from w3c; the vendors just made up the features as they went.

• @FrostCat said:

Are you too young to remember the <marquee> tag, or the fact that MS invented iframes in response to Netscape's asinine layers?

No.

@FrostCat said:

Just like Netscape invented <blink>. None of these started out from w3c; the vendors just made up the features as they went.

Ok.

And? What's your point and how does it answer my question? None of the stuff you mentioned was "only on IE6" and I certainly don't recall any of those things being branded or advertised as "only on IE6" (which is good, because they weren't.) In fact looking at the list again, I don't think you mentioned a single thing that wasn't already in IE by version 4.

(Also, just FYI: making up new HTML tags in an ad-hoc is explicitly allowed by the pre-HTML5 specs. So don't blame Mozilla and Microsoft for trying to add in some competitive advantages, blame the W3C for writing a shitty-ass spec.)

• I don't have very precise memory. Normally for things like version numbers, I look them up only when I'm about to use them for something important. I don't know which version of IE introduced ActiveX—I didn't even realize there was a version of IE before 6. So when I saw “only on ie6” in the same context as Microsoft's java extensions, it was clear to me that was a reference to how Microsoft's historical strategy with IE was the same as their java strategy, as described in the article I linked.

• Java Dev

Well, there was definitely a 5.5. I believe it was pretty infamous.

@Buddy said:

I don't know which version of IE introduced ActiveX

Probably 4.

@Buddy said:

I didn't even realize there was a version of IE before 6.

:rolleyes: There were 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 5.5, plus probably point releases. IE hasn't skipped any version numbers.

@PleegWat said:

Well, there was definitely a 5.5. I believe it was pretty infamous.

I remember at the time that people were happy when IE6 came out as it meant they could start to get away from the horrible mess that 5.5 was. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose