Gaming board games

• sekret PM club

I actually have my friend's copy of the Civ board game sitting in my game cabinet at the moment, never got around to actually using it. That cabinet is sorely empty ever since my roommate moved out and took his couple with him. All I've got left is my Catan anniversary edition, a copy of Coup, some stuff for Battletech, and some D&D minis and dice.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

Oh hey, did I not mention Kingdom Death: Monster? I don't think I did. I've got a copy of that :D

We're on a bit of a hiatus at the moment, most of the way through our first game. We quite enjoyed the mechanics, but we finally got to the third hunt (the phoenix) and... it's not fun. It's difficult, but to add insult to injury, the entire fight is basically one big fart joke. I was not amused :rolleyes: We're a bit bored with the lion and antelope, and the hunt phase is becoming a bit of a slog, so we really needed the freshness of the third monster type, and yet none of us want to hunt it again.

But the first two fights were fun, and the periodic boss fights are challenging as shit. The ability to plan in the long term keeps us coming back, and we look forward to the end game. If we play a second campaign, we'll buy an expansion first to see if it resolves some of this lategame fatigue.

• I've been into Star Wars: Armada lately. Got a sizeable Rebel fleet built up, and a friend has the core game and an Imperial fleet. So far our games end in one of two ways:

1. I do something stupid like crash into asteroids or collide my ships together or fly my fleet off the edge of the board and die and lose.
    2. He splits his fleet up while I concentrate my forces. I destroy one part of his fleet during the ages it takes the rest of his ships to arrive, then destroy the second part later, and he loses.

The game is expensive to get into but it's a lot of fun. It doesn't even have a board, you just need a flat surface, so it's fairly flexible.

• sekret PM club

@mott555 said in Gaming board games:

The game is expensive to get into but it's a lot of fun.

That's one of the things keeping me from buying into it. I know one of our local game stores has regular stuff going on with X-Wing and Armada, but I can't be arsed to have yet another expensive-ass game (I stopped buying 40k models since I barely play anymore) and I rarely go to said game store (partially because of having to leave the house to do so, and partially because hanging around there for any length of time without something specific to be doing like a tournament makes me uncomfortable as fuck)

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@tar said in Gaming board games:

@HardwareGeek said:

backgammon

Backgammon is the best board game.

Agreed. Then again, I love games where when you play just right and have a bit of luck, you can put your opponent into a super-screwed situation.

Backgammon: Putting two pieces on as many of my Home pips as possible, then knocking out opponent's piece-- then watching them just sit there and twiddle their thumbs while I move every fucking EVERYTHING to the home board with impunity. MwhahwhahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHWHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAAH

• Has anyone here ever tried to play any of the attempts to reconstruct the rules for either latrunculi or tabula? Tabula is thought to be the original form of backgammon, while latrunculi is more unclear - it seems to have had some aspects that were related to checkers (draughts), but with other capture rules that seem closer to go or othello, and the role of the Dux seems to be a little like that of the queen in chess.

Filed Under: and then there's Jennifer Diane Rietz's latrotabuli, which is a mashup of recreacted version of those, but mentioning that could lead to 🥑 arguments because of who the author is

• ♿ (Parody)

@ScholRLEA said in Gaming board games:

Filed Under: and then there's Jennifer Diane Rietz's latrotabuli, which is a mashup of recreacted version of those, but mentioning that could lead to arguments because of who the author is

I guess that fits with the Othello style capture rules, then.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@JazzyJosh said in Gaming board games:

Only played about four games of it so far, but:

Has been quite fun.

I've had that one on my "think about getting this" list for a while. The asymmetrical gameplay really appeals to me.

• @pydsigner It's on tabletop sim if we want to get a group together to play.

• @mott555 That one has always looked interesting, but I play the X-wing game with a few friends. Though the star trek version looks kind of more interesting.

My wife isn't too into board games but we do play some card games. Recently we've played "Red Flags" where you try to set up a friend with some imaginary person who has two positive aspects, and one really negative one the person to your right gives you. (Example: "Owns mars, is a billionaire...and is plotting to kill you", Or "Lives in a castle, is an amazing dancer...and only eats their food only by playing 'airplane'")