Memory-holing: Now here on DailyWTF! Abusive mods ahoy!

• FoxDev

@accalia said:

I'm still not saying that it couldn't be done or shouldn't be done. I'm simply saying that every feature starts at -100 points and this one hasn't got enough positive points to bring it over the 0 point mark for me.

The Raymond Chen method 😄
    Yes, it's an MS thing in general. But it was on his blog I first read about it.

• FoxDev

that's where i picked up the words for it. but i've used the method for many years before i read it on his blog without knowing it had a "canonical" name

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@PJH said:

@system. It's there in the screenshot...

"If left blank, the default system account will be used" isn't as clear as "the default account, @system, will be used". The former wording could just mean, "the default account (whatever it happens to be named, but we're too lazy to say here) could be used".

Why? 1, people actually do that, and 2, consider who wrote this software, and 3, I assume, based on no evidence, that that box originally said System before someone changed it, so the admin would already know what the original name is and having it in the text underneath isn't strictly necessary, especially since there's a reset to default button.

@accalia said:

of course, and as always, PR is accepted should you be interested in implementing it. I'll even happily provide you with all the documentation i have as well as answer any and all questions you might have about the system or the documentation (or lack thereof)

I don't have time this quarter to learn node and sqlite. 😛

• @boomzilla said:

what do you change it to?

In my ideal, rainbows and unicorn farts world, when the mod agrees with the flag, he/she would get an editor with some boilerplate (probably similar to the existing message) that he/she would customize for the situation at hand. The mod would have the option to simply leave the default, or bypass it altogether (obvious spam, just terminate with extreme prejudice), but would be encouraged to customize the message.

@boomzilla said:

The real problem: what do you change it to?

Yeah, that's always the problem. My first attempt would involve a phrase along the lines of "..the fact that at least three people found what you wrote offensive enough to flag it".

• FoxDev

@FrostCat said:

I don't have time this quarter to learn node and sqlite.

ah. well there's always next quarter. ;-)

• FoxDev

@FrostCat said:

I don't have time this quarter to learn node and sqlite

If you know SQL, you're already 90% to knowing sqlite ;)

• ♿ (Parody)

@HardwareGeek said:

he/she would customize for the situation at hand

This is sounding like work.

@FrostCat said:

My first attempt would involve a phrase along the lines of "..the fact that at least three people found what you wrote offensive enough to flag it".

Probably a good line of attack.

• ♿ (Parody)

Honestly, none of us (well, definitely me) knew what would actually happen before it happened. This was our first time. :giggity:

• @boomzilla said:

This is sounding like work.

Aw, life is so hard.

• @boomzilla said:

none of us (well, definitely me) knew what would actually happen before it happened.

This is Discourse. None of us ever really know what will happen (except that it probably not be what we expect).

• @boomzilla said:

Honestly, none of us (well, definitely me) knew what would actually happen before it happened. This was our first time. :giggity:

Makes me wonder if it would be wise to do some testing in One Post (with socks, of course).

@RaceProUK said:

If you know SQL, you're already 90% to knowing sqlite

I know SQL at a fairly basic level. The language I use in my day job has SQL support mainly as an afterthought, and the support it has is a bit retarded (e.g., I don't think it supports UNION even, although I might be wrong.)

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@Maciejasjmj said:

It's mostly painful to watch others behave like children whenever that happens.

FWIW, I mostly agree with you there. We do not have a right to "not be offended". I use coarse language in inappropriate conversations. I laugh over horribly inappropriate jokes. But it is all a matter of context.

If I am having a jovial conversation with a close friend, I may in jest tell him to fuck off. Or call him retarded. Or call him a dumb Swede. Or stick him with the bar tab. In those cases, I have a pre-existing familiarity with the person to know that they are not going to take it as me being serious. They know it is all in good fun.

I would not try the same thing with a person where my only interaction with them has been adversarial. They are going to think I am serious. They are going to get offended. I may get punched. I will be seen as an asshole, not as being humorous.

So yeah, for me it comes down to context and prior history...and people needing to chill the fuck out on all sides. You do not have a right to not be offended. But you also do not have a right to be offensive and not have people think you are an asshole.

• @blakeyrat said:

As I've said a billion times, I don't care if people derail my topics. I only care if people start typing boring shit nobody sane could ever possibly care about in my topics.

Hint: there's a subset of what I'm sure you'd consider "boring belgium nobody sane could ever possibly care about" that is life or death for the folks who work with it....

Hazmat puzzle:

You have four refrigerated containers of UN3111 -- organic peroxide, type B, temperature controlled, NOS, with 5.2 Organic Peroxide and 1 Explosive placards on them, that arrived off trucks onto your intermodal ramp earlier today.

1. Can you accept this load for movement by rail?
    2. Can these containers be placed next to each other?

In addition, I'm pretty sure that at least one of the posts in question was flagged by me because Blakey whooshed on the OP, and two clarifications/translations of it. Should I start throwing Blakey's tactics back in his face for a while?

• Well as you say, it's a matter of context. And the context has always been "this is the forum where this kind of shit can fly". It was pretty much the defining quality of the place - we deal with idiots professionally and politely 8 hours a day, we need a place to vent and yell.

It's like you signed up to a neo-Nazi forum and said "well guys, I'm also a bald guy, but this whole master race thing just ain't cool". You might be right, but if you don't like the concept, you're supposed to find yourself a place where your views will be honored.

Filed under: don't try this at home though

• @Maciejasjmj said:

we deal with idiots professionally and politely 8 hours a day, we need a place to vent and yell.

There's a difference between "venting" and "being a dick". Some people can't see the difference in their own behavior. Sometimes you have to be told you're being a dick. And if you're going to bitch and moan when you're told that you're being a dick, maybe you need to take a vacation (from work and everything).

• Shut up and get out.

• @Magus said:

Shut up and get out.

:rolleyes:

@Maciejasjmj said:

Well as you say, it's a matter of context. And the context has always been "this is the forum where this kind of shit can fly". It was pretty much the defining quality of the place - we deal with idiots professionally and politely 8 hours a day, we need a place to vent and yell.

Yeah, but even at that, if you and someone else do not like each other then they are unlikely to see it as humor. They are going to see it as you being an asshole.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but I did not think this was a place where we are total cunts to each other at all times just for the lulz? I mean yeah, we are rude and crude. And among friends we tell each other to fuck off. Hell, I think I told @RaceProUK to fuck off twice yesterday. But he/she/hedgehog and I have familiarity. @RaceProUK knew that I was not being serious.

Do you remember when the rat and I had a severe falling out? At the exact point that came to a head, I was thinking to myself, "It is time to let this go" and I made a joke. The rat flipped his shit. I was wrong, even though I knew I was making a joke he took it as though I was not because we had a past adversarial history.

In that whole line of bullshit, I was wrong. The rat was wrong. A mod told me I was being a dick and to knock it off and I did. When a mod tells the rat he is being a dick and to knock it off, he pisses and moans.

@Maciejasjmj said:

It's like you signed up to a neo-Nazi forum and said "well guys, I'm also a bald guy, but this whole master race thing just ain't cool". You might be right, but if you don't like the concept, you're supposed to find yourself a place where your views will be honored.

Yeah, no. It is not like that at all. And even if it were, in this scenario the "Old Guard" of the forums would be the Neo-Nazis. But the simple fact is, there are a lot less Neo-Nazis around these parts these days. Most of the ones that are have maybe decided that Jews aren't so bad. Maybe they have gotten older and they need an accountant? But then there is one person who still sees 'American History X' and never watches it to the end and wants to emulate the first part.

Myself, as far as viewpoints go, I am on the middle ground between you and those who want to remake the entire forum with unicorn magic. I hate PC BS. I say 'Fuck'. A lot. I make offensive jokes. But I do that when the context fits. And I try not to just fucking antagonize people.

• Java Dev

Peroxide and something that burns/explodes? Might be better to keep them apart.

All I know of dangerous substances is that if you notice anything gone wrong with them and you're calling 112 or the fire brigade, and you can see the danger indicators / dangerous substance number, you should pass it on.

• @PleegWat said:

Peroxide and something that burns/explodes? Might be better to keep them apart.

All I know of dangerous substances is that if you notice anything gone wrong with them and you're calling 112 or the fire brigade, and you can see the danger indicators / dangerous substance number, you should pass it on.

Hint: both of those placards refer to the same exact substance -- UN3111 is 5.2 with a subsidiary 1 (explosive) hazard.

• Java Dev

Ah, misread your post.

I don't have a clue. I know round here they move chlorine at night over railways past residential zones by the trainload. So if it's properly packaged there's probably a lot they can get away with.

@tarunik said:

UN3111

Does organic peroxide cost more than non-"sustainably"-farmed peroxide?

• @FrostCat said:

Does organic peroxide cost more than non-"sustainably"-farmed peroxide?

😛

Organic peroxides are compounds with a C-O-O-H or C-O-O-C compound. You might have one (in dilute form) in your medicine cabinet at home: benzoyl peroxide (dibenzoyl peroxide to be precise) is used in acne preparations. Their most common application, though, is as polymerization initiators for making plastics.

@tarunik said:

You might have one (in dilute form) in your medicine cabinet at home: benzoyl peroxide (dibenzoyl peroxide to be precise) is used in acne preparations.

At 44, I'm a little old for such things.

I'll admit I was only thinking of hydrogen peroxide and didn't stop to consider there were other ones. Also, doing that is a :barrier: to jokes.

@FrostCat said:

At 44

You're older than I thought. By at least a decade.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

I'm trying this on my phone because I hate my phone's battery and Cpu and want to punish them

• @abarker said:

maybe you need to take a vacation (from work and everything)

Hey, idiot! You take vacation from breathing!

I hope it's clear this is intended to fall into the realm of

@Polygeekery said:

If I am having a jovial conversation with a close friend, I may in jest tell him to fuck off. Or call him retarded. ... They know it is all in good fun.

That's weird; it looks like Discourse automatically closed some, but not all, of the <small> tags, at least in the preview. I wonder what it will look like baked.

Edit: Not the same as it did in preview. Surprise, surprise. That last paragraph (starting with "That's weird") and this one are both small in preview.

@HardwareGeek can fuck off also.

Also, you missed an 'a'. Please turn in one of your badgers.

<He is borderline on knowing well enough. ;-)

• @Polygeekery said:

Please turn in one of your badgers.

Ok, you can have one of my 2408 Nice Post badgers.

If it had been 2048, that would have been so much cooler

• Yes, it would have. At some point in the past, it was. However, I'm not going to stop posting things people like because I have a cool number of badges.

• sqlite is easy. just take any flavor of sql and substract features until you scream "WTF is this? you call this a DB??" and you're ready.

@FrostCat said:

SQL support mainly as an afterthought, and the support it has is a bit retarded (e.g., I don't think it supports UNION even, although I might be wrong.)

check again, i believe you are working with sqlite without knowing

@HardwareGeek said:

However, I'm not going to stop posting things people like because I have a cool number of badges.

You could hand out old ones to other people to keep the total constant.

• someone could read you, and that will be the next bikeshed for the discodevs

@Jarry said:

someone could read you, and that will be the next bikeshed for the discodevs

If that keeps them from roundening the newlevator I'm OK with that.

• They will not only round it off but likely spend a lot of time experimenting with the precise distance of rounding to maximise "contrast" and "usability".

I'm calling it, you heard it here first.

• @Polygeekery said:

But he/she/hedgehog and I have familiarity. @RaceProUK knew I was not being serious.

And yet, despite Blakey saying over and over and over again that he's fully facetious with his raging, you all insist on taking offence. I don't get it.

Almost nobody is 100% serious here.

@Polygeekery said:

And even if it were, in this scenario the "Old Guard" of the forums would be the Neo-Nazis.

We are, and Blakey is our Mega-Hitler. In this scenario, of course.

And sure, there are a lot less neo-Nazis here. But if people decided they don't wanna be neo-Nazis anymore, why do they hang out on a forum that was notorious for being Nazi instead of finding themselves some Elderly Bald Guys Who Don't Mind Jews Too Much And Would Rather Talk About Weather forums?

I mean, it's not in the name here, but the lack of rules was what drew people to this forum. But that's a double edged sword - if we're to tolerate fox antics because there are no rules, we're also pretty much supposed to tolerate heated arguments. Instead, you guys start to cherry pick, claiming the lack of rules when that's to your advantage, and calling for moderation when it's not.

• FoxDev

@Maciejasjmj said:

Blakey saying over and over and over again that he's fully facetious with his raging, you all insist on taking offence.

Raging and ranting at technology, that's cool.

at a company, less cool but whatever

at a person who is playing along and returning the favor in good humor, right on!

at a person who has repeatedly and politely stated that they do not appreciate it and want it to stop, that is not cool.

• @Maciejasjmj said:

if we're to tolerate fox antics because there are no rules, we're also pretty much supposed to tolerate heated arguments.

Those both go on all the time. What people are upset about are attacks which appear especially vicious aimed at one particular user.

For example, blakey mentioned going of at RacePro the other day over discussing bots in one of his topics. I have two issues with this:

1. RacePro was replying to someone else who had mentioned bots, who had replied to someone else who mentioned bots, who had replied to someone else who mentioned boys. She was the fourth individual who mentioned bots in that reply chain, but Blakely singled her out and ignored the other three.
    2. How long does it remain his thread? I mean, sure, he started it, but the No Confidence topic is a year old and over 1000 posts long. When can we start treating it like every other thread? Why should his threads get special treatment in the first place?

@abarker said:

For example, blakey mentioned going of at RacePro the other day over discussing boys in one of his topics.

Õ_o

• FoxDev

@PJH said:

@abarker said:
    For example, blakey mentioned going of at RacePro the other day over discussing boys in one of his topics.

Õ_o

The @accalia's are spreading. not even the mods are safe!

• @PJH said:

@abarker said:

Õ_o

Damn! I thought I fixed all those swypos! No matter how many times I tell it otherwise, my phone thinks "bots" should be "boys".

• @abarker said:

No matter how many times I tell it otherwise, my phones thinks "bots" should be "boys".

@abarker's phone also uses the royal plural when anyone refers to it them

• @izzion said:

@abarker said:
    No matter how many times I tell it otherwise, my phones thinks "bots" should be "boys".

@abarker's phone also uses the royal plural when anyone refers to it them

:facepalm:

@Arantor said:

likely spend a lot of time experimenting with the precise distance of rounding to maximise "contrast" and "usability".

They won't succeed in it, I'm calling it now.

• Java Dev

@HardwareGeek said:

I'm not going to stop posting things people likein the likes thread because I have a cool number of badges.

FTFY

• @abarker said:

RacePro was replying to someone else who had mentioned bots, who had replied to someone else who mentioned bots, who had replied to someone else who mentioned boys. She was the fourth individual who mentioned bots in that reply chain, but Blakely singled her out and ignored the other three.

I don't go out of my way to find the first bullshit post, I just hit reply to the one that I happened to be at when I got pissed-off enough at the bullshit to say something about it.

@abarker said:

How long does it remain his thread?

I don't want to see the bullshit in any thread. But I don't feel that I have the right to try and get it out of threads that aren't mine.

If you're saying nobody has any ownership, fine: I'll complain about the bullshit in ANY thread I see it in. Think carefully here, is that what you want?

Look, we already have a whole category for people to talk about bots. It's not MY fault people are polluting actual threads instead of using it. We already have a whole category to talk about assigning badges. It's not MY fault people are polluting actual threads instead of using it.

If you don't want me to point out you're posting bullshit, post it in one of those categories specifically created to host the bullshit. I won't see it. I have them all on mute.