Web design: IE gives me a hard time

• Hi guys,

I build a relatively simple website which renders totally fine in IE 7, Opera and Firefox (even on Linux), but it craps out at IE 6 and 5 (on a mac). I can't figure out why, does any of you guys know what is wrong with my HTML, or how to avoid this behavior?

Btw here are some more screens from the site. http://browsershots.org/website/http://cbwh.denheijer.com/

Thanks in advance,

• Perhaps you are *too* standards compliant? Don't forget that IE 6 and previous have serious CSS box rendering issues. If you want to be cross-browser, you're gonna have to go stupify your code.

I say stick with standards and tell anyone who doesn't like it to upgrade.

• This isn't the most shocking code out there is it? I wrote the whole site in notepad, and got the centering thing from some an article. I can't believe even relatively easy things get messed up so bad..

Worst part is, IE 7 doesn't handle table layout very well. Or I forgot how to make them..

• I suggest you float [i]both[/i] columns left, instead of floating the content area right, which appears logical only at first glance.

In addition, IE6 has a couple of demonic float bugs, one of which is that the left margin of the first left-floated element in a consecutive series is cheerfully multiplied by exactly 2. Also for right-margin on right-floats.

This isn't the most shocking code out there is it? I wrote the whole site in notepad, and got the centering thing from some an article. I can't believe even relatively easy things get messed up so bad..

Worst part is, IE 7 doesn't handle table layout very well. Or I forgot how to make them..

I find your code clean and simple. :)

I don't know about IE7's table handling. I haven't done a table layout since 2001-2, when I first started classes in Media Design, IE was transitioning to 5, and the gecko engine existed only inside Netscape 6.

But I do know that IE7 still doesn't support the full range of CSS poperties that apply to tables (border-spacing no, border-collapse yes), so we're still stuck with those damned cellspacing attributes.

• [quote user="dhromed"]

I suggest you float [i]both[/i] columns left, instead of floating the content area right, which appears logical only at first glance.

[/quote]

That seems to do the trick, thanks!