Get off my lawn Discourse!



  • And by lawn, I mean desktop.

    The text is Polished "The website [...] wants to show notifications on desktop. Allow?".

    Seriously, what the fuck is with 2010s!? Desktop apps are increasingly becoming web apps. Now web apps want to become desktop apps too? It's so back-asswards it hurts.


  • sockdevs

    @Gaska said:

    Now web apps want to become desktop apps too?

    hmm.... well in that case you won't like the next release of https://servercooties.com

    we will do desktop notifications then (only four of them though, and they're informational so you can have the tab in a background and get notified when the site goes offline/online andwhen something bad happens to servercooties.com (nothing should... but just incase)


  • sockdevs

    @Gaska said:

    Now web apps want to become desktop apps too?

    Then click 'No'?

    Or turn off notifications in your browser settings.



  • @Gaska said:

    Desktop apps are increasingly becoming web apps. Now web apps want to become desktop apps too? It's so back-asswards it hurts.

    So which one would you prefer:

    • Having to run a Discourse.exe desktop app to get notifications
    • Not having the option to get notifications at all

    ?


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    How about "I just don't want notifications from websites"?


  • sockdevs

    Chrome settings:


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    I'd rather they didn't even have this misfeature, is what I'm saying. Adding it required me to turn it off.


  • sockdevs

    @FrostCat said:

    Adding it required me to turn it off.

    at least they designed it so that sites can't give you those notifications by default. ;-P



  • @RaceProUK said:

    Then click 'No'?

    Or turn off notifications in your browser settings.


    My problem isn't with having notifications. My problem is that developers got an idea that web pages should creep outside the browser into your other things.

    @anonymous234 said:

    So which one would you prefer:

  • Having to run a Discourse.exe desktop app to get notifications
  • Not having the option to get notifications at all
  • The former.

    Bonus web WTF: <li> tag works outside <list> tag.
    Bonus Discourse WTF: I had to use <li> tag because * doesn't work in quotes.
    Bonus Discourse WTF #2: if I edit post, save it, then edit again before the post is actually saved (for which I have no way of knowing), it asks me if I want to abandon post.

    @accalia said:

    at least they designed it so that sites can't give you those notifications by default.

    YET


  • area_deu

    @Gaska said:

    for which I have no way of knowing

    You do. There's a bar that says "Saving ..." at the bottom of your window until your post is fully saved.



  • @Gaska said:

    My problem is that developers got an idea that web pages should creep outside the browser into your other things.

    We do all sorts of stuff in browsers that used to be other things. Your problem is kind of dumb.



  • @aliceif said:

    You do. There's a bar that says "Saving ..." at the bottom of your window until your post is fully saved.

    No there isn't. Try it. Note that we're talking about edits here.
    belgium, you're right! -aliceif



  • @boomzilla said:

    We do all sorts of stuff in browsers that used to be other things. Your problem is kind of dumb.

    I know my problem is dumb. The whole point of this forum is posting dumb things!



  • @Gaska said:

    The whole point of this forum is posting dumb things!

    No, you're supposed to post about dumb things.



  • Discourse is certainly dumb. Also, since what I said is dumb, your replies are very appropriate.



  • @Gaska said:

    ■■■■■■■, you're right! -aliceif

    I would like this, but liking individual revisions is impossible, and so is self-liking.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.