Is it something in the water?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@RaceProUK said:

You are aware it's 'brewed' in Manchester, right?

I'm not very fond of most beer brewed in Manchester either.

• :belt_onion:

Uh...... I actually do that in my brain whenever I see that word. Is something wrong with me?

• @ijij said:

Would the US protect Australia from a UK nuke attack?From France... sure. But the UK....hmmm?

Because the US is the only nuclear power that the UK would have to worry about. :rolleyes:

• But?

UK attacking Australia is like punching your brother in the arm....

... we might roll our eyes and go to the UN and proclaim "hey, guys, stay on your own side of the car.... stop breathing my air....</sarcasm>"

but not much else.

Sorry Australia.

• Nuking isn't just attacking though. It's going from punching your brother to shooting him. Quite the escalation.

China, Russia, or Iran could easily take that and say, "Hey, UK used nukes, we're gonna use them too! And since their so nuke happy, let's hit them before they hit us!" And given current politics in the US, we might just sit back and let them.

• Besides, considering how dangerous it is to live there anyway, nukes wouldn't change a lot.

• I'm still so very confused by what you're getting at...

But I guess we'd take out the UK before anybody else... so we'd get the credit?

• @aliceif said:

That's the plural. Not the singular.You should have used phenomenon.

We're talking about idiots: the phenomenon of grouping them together, and the phenomenon of what happens to the rest of us when subjected to a majority of idiots. Hence phenomena. :-P

Filed under: Sportscaster: "He makes the save!"

• @redwizard said:

Hence phenomena.

Still breaks Subject-Predicate congruency when used together with "is".

• @ijij said:

I'm still so very confused by what you're getting at...

But I guess we'd take out the UK before anybody else... so we'd get the credit?

Ok, if the UK were to nuke Australia, every other nuclear power would immediately go on high alert.

Dafuq‽ The UK just nuked Australia! Who are they going after next‽

Regardless of whether the UK is considered an ally prior to this event, they would likely be considered a potential threat after nuking Australia. Given the history between the US and the UK, the US would probably try back channel communications while also moving to a heightened state of alert. Meanwhile, countries like China, Russia, North Korea, and Iran would be very likely to move to a "nuke first, ask questions later" stance. Iran would probably be especially eager to nuke the UK in a situation like this because one or two of their nukes could "accidentally" go off course and hit Israel.

In the end, someone else would probably hit the UK while the US was just talking.

• @abarker said:

Iran would probably be especially eager to nuke the UK in a situation like this because one or two of their nukes could "accidentally" go off course and hit Israel.

Which, under any other president, would cause the US to go after Iran. This guy would probably point and laugh.

• @abarker said:

In the end, someone else would probably hit the UK...

So Iran is striking back at the UK for striking Australia?

TIL: Australia is under Iran's nuclear umbrella...

@abarker said:

..while the US was just talking.

So you're suggesting that instead of enduring The Gore commission on Finding a Way That It's Our Fault.... we shw ould just take care of business?

Filed under: at least rescue John Cleese...

• @ijij said:

So Iran is striking back at the UK for striking Australia?

That's an oversimplification of my already simplistic thought experiment, but yes.

Essentially, it goes like this:

1. UK nukes Australia
    2. Other countries think "Frack, why'd they do that? What if they come after us next?"
    3. PREEMPTIVE STRIKE!!! (aka, somebody nukes the UK)

• @abarker said:

2. Other countries think "Frack, why'd they do that? What if they come after us next?"

I have three more-or-less unrelated responses:

a. Other countries are not under Commander Adama's martial law....

II. Well there could be reasons ... perhaps a devastating Cricket loss,... leaving the Empire*,.... drawing mustaches on pictures of the Queen.
    (But I suppose that would still leave some countries nervous...)

◻ Look, we were just testing... it's not like anybody is actually filling the place up... v2: we were aiming at Tasmania and missed.

*No, I can't actually keep all the legalities of Empire, Commonwealth etc... straight. But the Aussies aren't British (anymore?)

Thx discrs I'm quoting "2." - you should change it to "1." 👏

• I wonder what Canada would do in that situation ...

• ♿ (Parody)

This all sounds like it should be in @cartman82's Polandball topic.

• Status: wishing I could draw nice circles and speak in Meme.

Wait for it: Why I no can draw polandballs?

Mm. That wasn't tooooo hard.

Macaroni.

• @ijij said:

Other countries are not under Commander Adama's martial law....

Other countries also don't (necessarily) speak English as a primary language.

[code]
    +-------------------------------------+
    | | Behold the field where I grow my fucks.
    | |
    | | Lo, it is barren.
    | |
    | |
    +-------------------------------------+[/code]

@ijij said:

II. Well there could be reasons ... perhaps a devastating Cricket loss,... leaving the Empire*,.... drawing mustaches on pictures of the Queen.(But I suppose that would still leave some countries nervous...)

◻ Look, we were just testing... it's not like anybody is actually filling the place up... v2: we were aiming at Tasmania and missed.

Yeah, those wouldn't fly.

@ijij said:

*No, I can't actually keep all the legalities of Empire, Commonwealth etc... straight. But the Aussies aren't British (anymore?)

You could ask someone who knows.

@ijij said:

Thx discrs I'm quoting "2." - you should change it to "1."

You and blakey should form a club.

• @abarker said:

Yeah, those wouldn't fly.

Dang. I mean those things would piss off Britishers, wouldn't they?

Maybe the Aussies embargoed soap opera exports to the UK?

• @abarker said:

ijij:

You could ask someone who knows.

Come to think of it - almost all the acknowledged nuclear powers are former British territory.... everybody except Russia and the DPRK.

• @ijij said:

Dang. I mean those things would piss off Britishers, wouldn't they?

Ask a Brit.

@ijij said:

Come to think of it - almost all the acknowledged nuclear powers are former British territory.... everybody except Russia and the DPRK.

China? France? Iran (they're so close they might actually have it)? Israel (suspected to be a nuclear power)?

• @abarker said:

Ask a Brit.

By my expanded definition, I am. ;)

Besides you're one the sabre-rattling about how they'd blast their own relations.

@abarker said:

China? France? Iran (they're so close they might actually have it)? Israel (suspected to be a nuclear power)?

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. All formerly British territory in some way....

Also - don't forget us / US.

• :belt_onion:

• @ijij said:

Besides you're one the sabre-rattling about how they'd blast their own relations.

Actually, I was more positing reasons why they wouldn't nuke Australia. If you look back, this entire line of discussion started with:

@abarker said:

@another_sam said:
    The technological discrepancy still exists: The UK is a nuclear power and Australia is not because the UK fucked us over, using us for nuclear testing and not giving us the technology promised.

True, but if they nuke Australia, where would they send the stupid people in your scenario? No, they wouldn't resort to nukes for that reason, plus the fear of getting wiped out by other nuclear powers would make them hesitant. So while the actual technological discrepancy exists, there is no effective technological discrepancy.

Translation: it doesn't matter if the UK is a nuclear power, there are reasons that they won't nuke Australia. Therefore, Australia is not at any technological disadvantage should the UK decide to force their idiots upon Australia.

@ijij said:

@abarker said:
    China?

Yes.

Hong Kong is a former British territory. Various locales in Asia were at one time or another controlled by Britain as a result of the opium wars. China as a whole? No. This "yes" stinks like a pile of bullshit.

@ijij said:

@abarker said:
    France?

Yes.

:facepalm: By your argument, the UK is just a re-emergence of an older French empire. After all, France invaded England first. So we aren't all British. We're all French!

@ijij said:

@abarker said:
    Iran (they're so close they might actually have it)?

Yes.

How do you figure? Iran was part of Persia during the height of Britain's empire building. Persia was not made part of the British empire. For variety, I shall call this one horseshit.

@ijij said:

@abarker said:
    Israel (suspected to be a nuclear power)?

Yes.

I presume that you are referring here to the mandate over Palestine that the League of Nations granted to the United Kingdom after WWI. This one seems fishy to me, as the mandate did not make Palestine a territory of the UK. The mandate was to be temporary, until the residents of the area were capable of self rule. Of course, that all went out the window when WWII started, but still. Once again: I call bullshit on this one.

@ijij said:

Also - don't forget us / US.

Left that one out for obvious reasons. :rolleyes:

• @JoeCool said:

He had misconceptions about ASD and wondered where he got those ideas. I told him where. How am I "not helping"? I think you have a case of bad reading comprehension.

Putting things back into context is a :barrier: to joke.

• You're right of course.

It just sounds right the other way to me. Probably heard it used wrong so often that I don't notice anymore.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@abarker said:

it doesn't matter if the UK is a nuclear power, there are reasons that they won't nuke Australia.

That's true. It'd be bloody expensive.

• Though the Trident missiles are reaching their use-by date, so maybe we should nuke something.

• @abarker said:

By your argument, the UK is just a re-emergence of an older French empire. After all, France invaded England first. So we aren't all British. We're all FrenchVikings!

Norman French. Norman coming from the same origin as Norseman, because that part of France was invaded by Vikings. The Normans and the actual French of the time hated each other's guts.

And of course even if it was the actual French French, you're forgetting the Roman Empire. They're all Italians.

• BINNED

@CarrieVS said:

Italians

I thought consensus was modern man originated in Africa?

Can I now legally wear that afro-wig and call everybody dog?

• kills Dumbledore

@another_sam said:

You're shipping them out never to return, why care about fallout?

Why do you want banished stupid people to gain mutant superpowers?

• @Jaloopa said:

Why do you want banished stupid people to gain mutant superpowers?

Because they won't let me use anyone else for that experiment.

Filed under: I believe @carrievs has gotten into the spirit of things

While driving home I did recall the Roman occupation of England... but Italy isn't a nuclear power... makes for less conspiracy.

... but the Vikings did extend their influence down to the Black Sea... dragging Russia into my circle... must consider.

See also:
    China being a monolithic entity far back into the mists of time - covering what's currently on the map as "China" is a smallish-to-fair-sized exaggeration - so Britain messing around with them during the Opium wars is as valid as any of my other claims - I demand that "fedora full of dogshit" replace "pile of bullshit"! [citation needed]

• Status: wondering why I thought this was the status thread :facepalm:

• Wrong CSS indicator?

• Naah. Just wading in too deep and not taking time to smell the flowing excrement.... ;)

ie I just wasn't paying attention...

• @Luhmann said:

I thought consensus was modern man originated in Africa?

Can I now legally wear that afro-wig and call everybody dog?

Nope! While using @ijij's argument, we can only go by conquest, not by silly migration theories!

• @ijij said:

"fedora full of dogshit"

You belgium barbarian! This means war!

• BINNED

@abarker said:

by conquest

Does that mean I have a German lineage? Most recent conquests where all from that side of the Rhine.

• @Luhmann said:

Does that mean I have a German lineage? Most recent conquests where all from that side of the Rhine.

It you look upthread a little, older conquests are more important than newer ones. Still, going back far enough, your probably still controlled by the Germanic hordes.

• BINNED

@abarker said:

Germanic hordes

It's only fitting they dominate the EU.

• @Luhmann said:

I suggest a play-in war: Belgium vs. Australia to see who gets into a nuclear stand-off with the UK.

Disco-meta-booty to Luhmann or Sam, depending.

• BINNED

@ijij said:

UK

Why would they blow up their front yard?
    Not forgetting those US nukes that are stored here, but no not officially according to the Belgium Government.

• Finished reading up to this point...

..."Is it something in the water?" is a question that comes to mind about this thread.

• Java Dev

You've got those too?

• BINNED

@Bort said:

is a question that comes to mind about this thread.

It is? Then we must be doing something wrong

• @Luhmann said:

Why would they blow up their front yard? Not forgetting those US nukes that are stored here, but no not officially according to the ■■■■■■■ Government.

Not a clue.

Seems to have something to do with everyone dis-agreeing about the best beer, as far as I can figure...

Or possibly Soap Operas. Are those a thing in Belgium? Do you export them to the UK?

Did Belgium export anything like the Brothers Gibb??

Filed under: Maybe Hercule Poirot is sufficient justification and they've just been too busy to get around to it?

• BINNED

@PleegWat said:

You've got those too?

Sure ... for some reason we store them close to the Dutch border :trollface:

Funny history: it has been a public secret that they are here. And even their location at that specific military base is obvious, it's home of the most F16 fighters and the base 'features' US military guards inside the base perimeter. Crossing the Belgium guards is easy the others not so much ...
    Officially there still is no acknowledgement of the fact that there are nuclear bombs on Belgian soil except for the little fact that the US says that they have ...

• @Luhmann said:

Not forgetting those US nukes that are stored here, but no not officially according to the ■■■■■■■ Government.

Is that the [expletive] Government, or the Government of Belgium (which I'd interpret in this context as 'the EU')

• BINNED

The Belgian Federal Government m'am.