Windows needs an undo button.

• I tried out the feature that "optimizes" your game performance. For some reason it set Skyrim to run at 2560x1440 or some crazy resolution, then set the video card to map that back to the 1080p my monitor actually displays and basically... WHAT THE FUCK!?

Either the only way to get good graphics out of Skyrim is to LIE to it about your resolution, or NVidia's software doesn't even bother to check the resolution of your selected monitor when you apply its settings. WTF either way.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Jaloopa said:

You haven't touched on GT, GTX, GTã or whatever else there is.

GTX means "the high-end cards", is all. It's actually fairly pointless.

As someone up above said, look at the middle 1 or 2 numbers to know roughly speaking how a given model will stand up to the other models in its generation.

Or as I mentioned, go to tomshardware, estimate how much you are willing to spend, and pick a recommended card at that level.

@powerlord said:

I don't remember which one I was using a few years ago when I still played WoW (which is when I first noticed this was still a problem on modern hardware).

"A few years ago". You might have been using DX9. There might actually have been a difference then. (Of course, in WoW, you can hit Ctrl+R or whatever and actually see the FPS according to the game engine.)

• @blakeyrat said:

I tried out the feature that "optimizes" your game performance. For some reason it set Skyrim to run at 2560x1440 or some crazy resolution, then set the video card to map that back to the 1080p my monitor actually displays and basically... WHAT THE FUCK!?

It wanted to do the same thing to me for Heroes of the Storm. I always just ignore it. I do like using shadowplay though.

@powerlord said:

Oh, and just to screw with people, nVidia has dropped numbers for its new boards.

No, just the Titans, I believe. I mean, they just came out (fairly recently) with the high-end 900-series.

I'd be tempted to blame that on Skyrim, only because I've never seen Experience fuck up like that.

The thing I dislike is that it prefers fullscreen to windowed fullscreen mode.

• Java Dev

@FrostCat said:

(Of course, in WoW, you can hit Ctrl+R or whatever and actually see the FPS according to the game engine.)

Only if you're not running any UI elements in that part of the screen. On my setup it's occluded by the chat box.

@PleegWat said:

Only if you're not running any UI elements in that part of the screen. On my setup it's occluded by the chat box.

Yeah, well, that's kind of your own fault, isn't it?

One assumes there's at least one mod to move the FPS indicator, but is also too lazy to confirm this.

• @PleegWat said:

And it's IMPOSSIBLE to move the chat box!!!

• Java Dev

@FrostCat said:

Yeah, well, that's kind of your own fault, isn't it?

One assumes there's at least one mod to move the FPS indicator, but is also too lazy to confirm this.

Probably. I try to limit the number of mods I use. And thinking of it, I think my chat screen locations are pretty close to the default location back when the game launched...

• ur mom needs an undo button durr hurr

• Banned

@blakeyrat said:

Yes it does.

No it doesn't. Ever heard of multiple windows?

@blakeyrat said:

Yes it does. We even saw a blurb here about how it scribbles text over the emulated game when you're setting up a joystick. That's a GUI, it's just a really, really, really shitty one made by idiots.

People making shitty GUIs doesn't imply necessarity of GUIs. That would be like, greenhouse effect is human's fault BECAUSE some faggot in Holland cut down his hedge.

@blakeyrat said:

In any case, it's stupid to talk about emulator accuracy when people like Aliceif are running it on an OS that doesn't even have its shit together enough to produce low-latency audio.

Except when the emulated device itself had high-latency audio. It all depends on context.

@Jaloopa said:

Graphical / from a User / Interface

If the gathered input would be directly replicated in changes in graphics layer, then yes, it would be GUI. But when the changes are indirect, then it's not. Note that the game being emulated having GUI doesn't mean that the emulator itself has GUI.

• @blakeyrat said:

But Magicka is a shitty game so.
    It's awesome! When a game launch is utterly horrible due to crashes to desktop, what other developers would put a kill-a-random-mob "crash to desktop" spell in the game in the first patch?!@Gaska said:
    Well, yes, but what prevents the game from changing resolution? There's still ChangeDisplaySettingsEx you know.
    Nothing. Code execution results in code execution. Instead, the game is responsible for creating the borderless window, making it fill the screen, and rendering to it in windowed mode. Like, you know, it does.@Gaska said:
    OK, I admit I was wrong. Just tested [things...]
    I am going to have to bookmark and save this, to prove it's possible in this godforsaken place.@powerlord said:
    This is why Safe Mode resets the display resolution. I think it resets to 800x600 in Windows Vista and newer, 640x480 in Windows XP and older.
    It's one reason, but not the reason. You're using the BASEVIDEO driver instead of your regular graphics card driver (in case you have the wrong one or have none at all), which uses the Video Graphics Array BIOS calls documented in ancient DOS grimores in the IBM archivesnerdy websites. No video acceleration means slow as shit (so good thing there's a small screen) and no post-1998 standardization means 1024x768 is as high as you can know how to get to, and even then not with some about-1998-ish cards (so 800x600 instead).

• @TwelveBaud said:

It's awesome!

Did you PLAY it? Ugh.

• @TwelveBaud said:

kill-a-random-mobtarget with health on the screen, including yourself

FTFY

That's like the best Magick in Magicka 1.

@Bort said:

ur mom needs an undo button durr hurr

Just ROLLBACK the transaction.

• Banned

@blakeyrat said:

Did you PLAY it? Ugh.

You should replace your sarcasm detector as soon as possible - the one you have has been obviously broken since at least few years.

• @hungrier said:

Even if the emulation is good (which, being a multi-system emulator, isn't likely)

I haven't really used it for most of the systems it emulates, but I can vouch for its PS1 emulation at least. It's easily best-in-class for accurate PS1 emulation. It's the only one I've tried that can run both Shockwave Assault and [i]Ore no Ryouri[/i] correctly.

Mednafen is an odd beast, as multi-system emulators go. Its focus has never been on having the most features like many emulators, or on emulating systems just to say it does. It aims for quality, accurate emulation of the systems it supports, and at least where PS1 is concerned, it definitely achieves it. It's a bit of a pain to configure, but ultimately I think it's worth the effort considering the alternatives for PS1.

There are a couple of frontends out there for it; that's probably the best way to use it, unless you wanna deal with manually editing config files.

• If only they'd add Saturn support someday ...
    All Saturn emulators for Linux that I've ever tried are just ridiculously bad.

And SSF is just kind of cryptic to me because it has ten godzillion tweaks you can set - but it works!

• @Covarr said:

ultimately I think it's worth the effort considering the alternatives for PS1.

Are you saying there are issues with alternative emulators?

While I haven't tried the two games you've mentioned, ePSXe has been able to handle all the games I've tried throwing at it.

I know in earlier versions, its sound plugin was trash (so you have to use a different sound plugin to play games that use XA audio and such), but I think more recent versions have fixed a lot of that.

• @powerlord said:

Are you saying there are issues with alternative emulators?

Specifically with the two games I mentioned before: [i]Shockwave Assault[/i] and [i]Ore no Ryouri[/i]. I tried both games in ePSXe and pSX; I can't remember which emulator had which issue, but one emulator kept crashing on [i]Ore no Ryouri[/i] and the other would not display the HUD in [i]Shockwave Assault[/i]. Admittedly, ePSXe was on 1.8.0 at the time so it may have been fixed since then, but nonetheless Mednafen played them both correctly even then.

Unfortunately, it's tough to find up-to-date compatibility lists for any of the major Playstation emulators currently available, and it's even tougher to determine whether an emulator is actually accurate or just seems good enough. With bsnes/higan, people have done extensive comparisons against both other emulators and physical SNES hardware to show that its timings are perfect; it is the only emulator that maintains perfect sync with a real SNES in various tests (usually demo/attract modes, or other things that don't require/won't be affected by user input). Even though a game may seem to run correctly and certainly well enough to play without noticing any problems, it's not uncommon to find emulators winding up several seconds ahead or behind where the real SNES is after looping through a game's attract mode several times.

I'm tempted to run similar tests on various PS1 games myself and upload videos, because I'm curious how they actually compare. If I ever actually bother to do this, I'll put up the videos on YouTube and probably link 'em here. Wouldn't be right away though, as I'd need to dig out my PS1 for control footage.

• @Covarr said:

It's easily best-in-class for accurate PS1 emulation.

@Covarr said:

It's the only one I've tried that can run both Shockwave Assault and Ore no Ryouri correctly.

How about Chrono Cross? Because

@powerlord said:

While I haven't tried the two games you've mentioned, ePSXe has been able to handle all the games I've tried throwing at it.

QFT, and it runs CC, though I believe it requires the odd-even bit hack option. That game seems to be hard to emulate right.

• @Magus said:

QFT, and it runs CC, though I believe it requires the odd-even bit hack option. That game seems to be hard to emulate right.

I haven't tried Chrono Cross, but I can give it a go tonight after work.

One major difference between Mednafen and ePSXe is that there are no hack options. Either a game works correctly, or it doesn't. I'm not a huge fan of per-game hacks because they often delay or even prevent emulation bugs getting fixed at their root, but I can definitely understand why they're necessary, especially when emulating systems that aren't very well documented (which definitely applied to PS1 when ePSXe/relevant plugins were young and first implemented many of these hacks).

• As a result of thinking about that game, I now have the themesong for one of the towns stuck in my head. I can't remember which town it was.

• Looking at madnefen's credits, most of its code is taken from other emulators.

Which makes me wonder where its PS1 emulation came from.

• @Covarr said:

Shockwave Assault

I totally had that on Mac.

• Wow, we shot off into another topic and got stuck there. That doesn't usually happen.

I DECLARE THE NEXT TOPIC TO BE META-DISCUSSION OF TOPIC CHANGES.

• Do you want me to undo your post?

DO YOU?