C#: Static method parameters?

• 🚽 Regular

This is one I've just encountered for the first time in C#.

I have a number of String commands I can send to a hardware device so I have an enum of the mappings for the commands:

static class ThingType1 { enum CommandsForThingType1 { DoFooOne = "**--COMMAND1*", DoFooTwo = "**--COMMAND2*", etc... }
    etc...

}

And then in my transaction state-machine I had a method for doing a command to a thing:

void DoCommandToThingType1 (String command) { }

The I had two Things to deal with, each with their own transaction state-machine, and accidentialy did:

DoCommandToThingType2(CommandsForThingType1.xxx);

Which obviously wasn't caught as they were both Strings. So I amended it to:

void DoCommandToThingType1 (CommandsForThingType1 command) { }

Which failed at compile-time as CommandsForThingType1 is static and this turns out to be designed behaviour. Is there any other way to use a static enum as a method agurement (or a better way to do this)?

Having to instantiate the class just to provide my immutable ThingX commands and other bits just seems cludgey.

Edit: I can't get indenting to work in Markup. Sorry, it's ok in the preview.

• Is the class necessary? You can just put the enum in a namespace directly. Our codebase does this, and you can indeed define a function to take a CommandsForThingType1 param and C# indeed does type-checking.

• FoxDev

@Cursorkeys said:

I can't get indenting to work in Markup

static class ThingType1
    {
        enum CommandsForThingType1
        {
            DoFooOne = "**--COMMAND1*",
            DoFooTwo = "**--COMMAND2*",
            etc...
        }

etc...
    }

void DoCommandToThingType1 (String command)
    {
    }

DoCommandToThingType2(CommandsForThingType1.xxx);

void DoCommandToThingType1 (CommandsForThingType1 command)
    {
    } 

Easy.

And don't put the enum in the class.

• 🚽 Regular

@blakeyrat said:

Is the class necessary?

@RaceProUK said:
    And don't put the enum in the class.

Thank you very much, that works great. Must be force of habit to jam everything in a class.

@RaceProUK said:

Easy.

Perfect, thank you. It's easy once you see the raw 😄