I started a new job today...

• @Masaaki_Hosoi said:

Plus, saying "pass this value by reference" rolls off the tongue way more than "pass the value of the reference to this value"

That second one is the ref keyword. Normally you pass a copy of the value (of the reference). That's why it's pass a reference by value.

• FoxDev

@boomzilla said:

whoever came up with the ref stuff

Honestly i never liked the ref key word, i like to use out when i can instead, i find it a bit more clear in intention.

Without either keyword
    "I will not alter the reference (but I might alter the state of the object if it is mutable)"
    With `ref`
    "I might alter the reference (and i might alter the state of the object if it is mutable)"
    With `out`
    "I will alter the reference (and i might alter the state of the object if it is mutable)"

I'd like to be able to get rid of that parenthetical but honestly immutable data objects usually cause more trouble than they are worth.

• FoxDev

@accalia said:

I'd like to be able to get rid of that parenthetical but honestly immutable data objects usually cause more trouble than they are worth.

And are a great source of resource leaks if you don't implement them just right

• FoxDev

....huh.... didn't notice before. backtick delimited code blocks don't work in <dl> lists....

• It vaguely confuses me, since I have long forgotten the difference between pass by value and pass by reference and don't particularly care. So my eyes glaze over while people go blah blah blah you're wrong.

Pass by value is when a function gets a "copy" of the argument, so it can't actually modify the argument, and pass by reference is when a function gets the original argument (technically, a pointer/reference to it) so the function can modify it. Right?

The whole discussion is about the implementation and semantics of SIDE EFFECTS. ๐ŸšŽ

• @Captain said:

The whole discussion is about the implementation and semantics of SIDE EFFECTS.

The discussion is about the fact that while everything in C# is pass by value (unless you feel like making it pass by reference), people want to call it pass by reference because they like that wording for something that it doesn't do.

• The discussion is about the fact that while everything in C# is pass by value (unless you feel like making it pass by reference), people want to call it pass by reference because they like that wording for something that it doesn't do.

That all sounds like KCHHHHHHSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS to me.

• FoxDev

@Magus said:

The discussion is about the fact that while everything in C# is pass by value (unless you feel like making it pass by reference), people want to call it pass by reference because they like that wording for something that it doesn't do.

But it does pass stuff by reference ๐ŸšŽ

• It's simple.

If you pass 3 into a method, and something ++s it, it's now 4 in that method, because its a different int.

The same is true of all types. If you reassign an argument, its a different object reference, so it changes nothing in the caller.

But people think that changing the member of a reference type is equivalent to changing an instance of a value type, because they like being inaccurate.

• @RaceProUK said:

But it does pass stuff by reference

You do not become more correct by saying wrong things more times. A copy is not the same as the original.

• The leaves in my burrito taste like carrots. Weird, right?

• 3 == 4 in 'pass by reference' land.

• FoxDev

@Magus said:

You do not become more correct by saying wrong things more times. A copy is not the same as the original.

May I draw your attention to
    @RaceProUK said:
    ๐ŸšŽ

โ“ ๐Ÿ˜›

• @RaceProUK said:

May I draw your attention to

You're still wrong. WRONG. WRONG!!!!!!!!

• FoxDev

@Magus said:

You're still wrong. WRONG. WRONG!!!!!!!!

Oh no! Whatever will I do?

*proceeds to live a normal life*

• @RaceProUK said:

*proceeds to live a normal wrong life*

FTFY

• FoxDev

@Magus said:

@RaceProUK said:

FTFY

What I do in my spare time is none of your- oh, you weren't talking about that, were you? ;)

• @RaceProUK said:

@Magus said:
    @RaceProUK said:

FTFY

What I do in my spare time is none of your- oh, you weren't talking about that, were you? ;)

Maybe I was.

• FoxDev

๐Ÿ˜‘

• But only because I like the more humanoid types. Cat ears and a tail? Sure.

DERAILMENT COMPLETE

• BINNED

@Magus said:

Don't mind him, he's the resident Smug Haskell Weenieโ„ข. I like Haskell, but any language with a safe type system is OK by me. I'm the "here's a nickel, kid, go buy yourself a real type system" guy.

• @Masaaki_Hosoi said:

On a side note, if I'm telling someone that I pass something in C# by reference, or by value, using those exact words, does that confuse anybody?
    I don't know. If you said you are passing something by reference outside of a context such as this discussion, I would assume you meant it was qualified by ref. If that's not what you mean, then yes it would be confusing.

• @EvanED said:

I don't know. If you said you are passing something by reference outside of a context such as this discussion, I would assume you meant it was qualified by ref. If that's not what you mean, then yes it would be confusing.

Well, OK, to be fair I don't often use ref, so I rarely say those words anyway (I don't say them when talking about reference types for instance, since reference types can't really be passed around by value).

• @Magus said:

Cat ears and a tail?

Heck yes!

• @EvanED said:

So are pass-by-reference the way @Bort and I mean it and pass-a-reference-by-value. I really don't know what bort meant by "It's a terminology distinction, not an operational distinction" because it is an operational distinction. If it wasn't, then swap would work.

No it wouldn't. Allow us to review swap:

@EvanED said:

```
    void swap(Something a, Something b) {
    Something t = a;
    a = b;
    b = a;
    }

void caller() {
    Something s1 = ...;
    Something s2 = ...;
    swap(s1, s2);
    }

Regardless of pass by ref, your swap method will not fulfill its intended purpose. If you are doing pass by ref, your inputs will just end up being identical. If you look closely, you'll see that swap incorrectly does `b = a;` when it should do `b = t;`.

Write less buggy code when trying to illustrate a point. Especially when your example is so *short*.