WTF-as-a-service!

• ok, here we are in "today" - we've kicked off the information age; moving down the field some. Yet, cloud is up n coming. Some might say we've been there for a while. Ok, maybe. Actually, cloud was in existence long before the term was even used - not by virtue of the Internet just "existing" - but even back in the early 90's where we had application service providers - and I would even contend that email in and of itself was considered a service, no different than phone actually.

But, we've applied a "modern" term to all of that - and called it cloud. But, today's cloud, by deliberate intent, is really a utility; whether or not you pay for it, it is an electronic offering - and it's everywhere... almost every possible industry has clouded something...

and I hate it. it scares the excrement out of me...

to add fuel to the fire of the sound of my barbaric yawp - I do web development for a living... imagine that.

so, let me qualify my yawp-ness.

I have been in the IT industry for close to 20 years - serving just about every aspect (i.e. consulting, working for ISP's, and web development)

I love what I do - coding is exciting to me. I love the fact that I can create / invent. it's rewarding.

But, over the last couple years the disposition of the internet has really changed, to cloud - we have become more and more dependent - not because we have ourselves wrapped around google and the like - but we have now started to put ourselves in the hands of others... we don't just seek information, we are taking our lives and storing it someplace else...

let me pause for a moment to interject a thought - it occurred to me a few years ago that it's not so much that the internet allows us to connect / communicate / share with others; it is now doubled back as a utility so we can stay connected to ourselves. we have all these connected devices and all these 3rd party cloudy things that store information and we sync with ourselves...

but there is a real problem with that - and that is we put the arbitrary trust in a set of conveniences. Forget for the moment whether we pay for it or if it is free. we are offshoring everything about ourselves. that's dangerous in my opinion.

what's worse is the whole set of rules change too, as to our privacy, as to what can / can't be stored - if you think a moderated forum poses issues, just grab a EULA for Microsoft's cloud services, who reserves the right to deem something of yours inappropriate, and can get you in trouble, whereas on your own personal storage devices it'd never be an issue. two good examples. You buy a CD, copy it - under the fair use act, by law, that's allowable. Yet take that copyrighted content and store it on someone else's server, they will most likely have a big issue with that. Second, your own works, say pictures you take, which under certain rules, if you cannot prove copyright, there's trouble.

Now, imagine an attack, on cloud resources - we've seen it, and what if all your digital life is somewhere else, for the sake of convenience, then one day - it's gone... did you back up? did not have to right, cause you trusted the cloud. and there is no liability / responsibility / promise by a vendor who'd back you. if it's gone it's gone...

to make matters worse - a rumor surfaces, where Microsoft is going to do a Windows-as-a-service for a fee - what then... what if you stop payment - will they hold your clouded data hostage till you do, or will they delete it - all depends on the EULA... this could happen even if your data is stored locally in your home / office. what then...

why would anyone EVER want to put themselves in that position.. not me...

and so it goes.

• Fake News

SpectateSwamp, is that you?

• BINNED

I dunno. There's lack of Capitalization rather than over-abundance of it, word "solemn" never appeared once and...

You weren't asking for a detailed analysis, were you?

• Blah blah big corporations are evil blah blah your data belongs to you blah blah paranoia blah.

Yep, it's just missing the idea of evil indexing and calling for a showdown.

• Our company is moving all of our IT to the cloud, our HR services are cloud based, pretty much everything that can be (except email, that is still MSFT hosted poorly by us).
    I don't care too much about them hosting our information. I just wish the services were better than 💩.
    When we hosted the open-source doohickey internally it actually served its purpose. Now, everything takes multiple days to get a response, and the response usually isn't enough, meaning a lot time to get things done.
    I don't get why we pay millions for some web front end that has less features, more :wtf: and less customer support. The only thing I can think is there is some accounting benefit to buying services from an external company vs hiring 1-2 people to maintain something on a server.

The HR service we use for performance reviews started as some grand thing with lots of boxes to fill in and drag/dropping goals, etc. After multiple years of using it, it is now "simplified" to a single text box. We don't use the goals or anything else and only fill it in once a year.
    I think just sending an email out with the contents would fulfill the purpose much easier, but I guess that is just me.

• @anticloud said:

to make matters worse - a rumor surfaces, where Microsoft is going to do a Windows-as-a-service for a fee - what then... what if you stop payment - will they hold your clouded data hostage till you do, or will they delete it - all depends on the EULA... this could happen even if your data is stored locally in your home / office. what then...

We already saw this rumor and laughed. You've been reading /., haven't you?

• well, this is good to know - that it's a bad rumor... nice. I did not see the /. post.

however, would anyone blame me for feeling that way if the rumor, well, were true - funny, 95% of what people read on the internet is posted garbage...

• :belt_onion:

And 102.6% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Filed Under: That's how the saying goes right?

• @anticloud said:

95% of what people read on the internet is posted garbage

And now it's 95,000001%, thanks for your contribution.

• you are welcome

• BINNED

95,000002%

• kills Dumbledore

95 million percent?

Filed under: TRWTF is incompatible decimal notation

• @Jaloopa said:

TRWTF is incompatible decimal notation

QFBT

• Luke!!! You Are My Fodder!!!