Brief(ish?) Outage Coming Soon

• โ™ฟ

I need to do a snapshot, destroy, create in order to get the disk space increased.

This will take, oh who knows how long.... but, I'm running it on the old instance now as a test. I'm hoping to get started at 4PM Eastern.

• Good luck

• 9PM BST (8PM UTC) for anyone wondering.

• SockDev

crossing my fingers!

• We're back - does this mean it's done? @apapadimoulis

• SockDev

I thought that earlier; it then went down again, and when it came back, a few posts had been lost (only about three, and none of them worth anything).

I'm guessing that's just how the process wentโ€ฆ

• โ™ฟ

Yes, seems that way. Apparently after creating the snapshot, it turned the server back on...

Anyway, new droplet, with 60GB instead of 40GB now.

• SockDev

MOAR SPACE!!!

I promise not to fill it up with pictures of hedgehogs ;)

• I saw server cooties times around 125 SECONDS :laughing:
    Thats pretty extreme... (i mean that i was answering at all)

Also might wanna remove the banner

• SockDev

@swayde said:

I saw server cooties times around 125 SECONDS

that's apparently how long nodejs is willing to wait for a connection.

;-)

• SockDev

It's also close to the max TCP/IP timeout of 120 seconds, IIRC

• SockDev

hmmm... i'm not all that familiar with network stack, but i though TCP datagrams specified TTL in hops, not absolute time?

• SockDev

TTL is basically to stop the packets getting caught in infinite routing loops, so they don't clog up the tubes :stuck_out_tongue:

But then, my two-minute timeout assumption is balls anyway, as it appears to be a configurable setting on modern OSes

• ahh, so you're telling me that you got no response, and just set response time to ~128 sec. That's not entierelklmdmkld informative...

• SockDev

Well, not quite; it's how long node waited for the request to return before saying 'ah, sod it!' and giving up ;)

• So he's right - there was no response but it's down as responding in like 130 seconds.

• SockDev

He's right, but for the wrong reason; I gave him the right reason :stuck_out_tongue:

• SockDev

@swayde said:

ahh, so you're telling me that you got no response, and just set response time to ~128 sec. That's not entierelklmdmkld informative...

hmm.... yeah. that's why there's another graph forthcoming that uses the discoappdex scores. it's more informitive but also more boring.

in the mean time i refer you to this issue: https://github.com/SockDrawer/SockSite/issues/21

• โ™ฟ

Did the outage happen?

• SockDev

Yes; we now have an extra 20GB for you to fill with Dwarf Fortress screenshots and snippets of Go :stuck_out_tongue:

• mod

@RaceProUK said:

we now have an extra 20GB for you to fill with Dwarf Fortress screenshots and snippets of Go

Belgium it, hedgy!

• @RaceProUK said:

Yes; we now have an extra 20GB for you to fill with Dwarf Fortress screenshots and snippets of Go :stuck_out_tongue:

Just don't let him post in lojban anymore.

• TTL is the maximum lifetime of an individual packet in hops. It's a field in the IP header.

The TCP connection as a whole has a number of separate timeouts in seconds, indicating how long a client must wait for packets to come in before dropping the connection, as well as how long a client must wait after a connectioon has been torn down before a new connection may be opened to the same destination on the same port pair.

• SockDev

hu-uh.....

TIL more about networking than i knew before.

• How does this plot even work with the plot curves turning back on the X axis?!

• โ™ฟ

It's the smoothing function that's trying to connect the dots with nice curves. It's not really a continuous graph.

• SockDev

@Maciejasjmj said:

How does this plot even work with the plot curves turning back on the X axis?!

that's a spline graph... does weird things with discontinuities. I'm switching to straight line for a future version.

• BINNED

@accalia said:

spline graph

Probably not properly reticulated

• I like the backwards lines. Keep it. It's so consistent.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.