Two things I hate when it comes to UX

• ♿ (Parody)

@Luhmann said:

But that are customer properties ... not cashier gender or even race.

Are you seriously trying to tell me this isn't a bug in the grocery store checkout process? I'm a customer, I don't care about your implementation details. I just want to get home before my damned ice cream melts or my beer gets warm.

Fart.

• BINNED

@boomzilla said:

before my damned ice cream melts or my beer gets warm.

Fart.

I would start by stopping farting on your groceries. Those really increase the ambient temperature of the packaged goods.
    Additionally one could argument that these contribute to the global warming thingy.

So we have gender, race and global warming. If we could now include politics, religion and guns we would have a flame combo.

• On my first day in Texas, my grandparents very excitedly took me shopping, because to them that was the most amazing thing about the entire country: “look how big are the stores here”. So I'm still jetlagged, wandering around the Wal-Mart wondering what the big deal is, and I notice a young adult in a two-piece suit sitting in the magazines section sketching a copy of a lingerie ad, minus the lingerie. America.

• @boomzilla said:

And the shopper is almost always Hispanic in these cases

Oh man, what if they're Cuban?

I hope you were nervously clutching that hand grenade you keep in your briefcase. You might need to vaporize a Cuban at a moment's notice!

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

Oh man, what if they're Cuban?

My knowledge of local demographics pegs this as pretty unlikely. But if so, good on them for getting out.

@blakeyrat said:

You might need to vaporize a Cuban at a moment's notice!

Only if it's a Castro brother. Sheesh.

• @Luhmann said:

anyone noticed a speed difference between a female and a male cashier?

If there is a difference in average speed between male and female cashiers, it is not sufficiently great that I've noticed it. However, IME, the slow tail of the bell curve1 is male; he moves like he's in a slow-motion instant replay of a grocery cashier.

1 Cashier speed is, strictly speaking, not a bell curve. The distribution is asymmetrical, as the speed cannot be negative.

• @HardwareGeek said:

The distribution is asymmetrical, as the speed cannot be negative.
    You just need to do more shopping at Tachyons Я Us

• @flabdablet said:

https://medium.com/bad-words/the-asshole-factory-71ff808d887c

What. the. fuck?

First of all he doesn't really describe "asshole" other than one time. Which amounts to, selling people stuff they don't need instead of possibly saying that the products don't meet their needs.

And even if I were to prescribe to his notion of asshole, the model that he's describing sounds like those pyramid marketing schemes. It's so fanciful, I have nothing to compare it to, so I have to assume it's some business like that. These places exist in the dark circles of business and hardly are representative of all business.
    If some consumer is looking to those places, then that's their own damn fault, buyer beware.

This simply doesn't happen at a systematic level in businesses that I go to. The average case at Best Buy is a guy saying, "We can't meet your need, but we offer something close to that online". No pressure to buy. Sure you get some pressure from the computers salesmen, but it's nothing like what's being described.

two graduate degress

In what, art and literature. Maybe it's women's studies. The fuck I will ever know. Obviously they don't apply to this story other than to make it sound like Mara has done "something".

psychological warfare... asshole... strategies developed in war

Oh the ways in which this is wrong.

Let's see. Marketing didn't come from warfare, or every vet captain and up would be master marketers.
    Business is based on two things: risk management and marketing.
    The first is based on the idea of accepting your loses and minimizing them. The second is based on convincing people they need your product. Every business from a fish stall to Walmart is based on that. Even choosing where you will be employed is based on those two ideas. Minimize the risk of being in a position you don't want, and convincing an employer that they need you.

I'm sure the followup to this article is that extrovert people are privileged right? That being able to negotiate your raises is a privilege and we should all be ashamed of how much of an asshole we are.

The really nice thing to do would be to take a paycut whenever business goes south, in the better interest of those people who would get fired for lack of performance. Maybe I should have botched that test, so everyone could have gotten a curve on their grade. I didn't realize I was being an asshole.

Oh wait, he means only businesses, management chain, and business owners count in this asshole category.

Note what all the technology and bureaucracy that wonderful, noble company has invested hundreds of millions in doesn’t ask her to do. Learn. Think. Reflect. Teach. Inspire. Lead. Connect. Imagine. Create. Grow. Dream. Actually…serve customers.

Oh fuck. We aren't responsible for anything these days are we. I forgot that too.

"I don't like my current position"
    "Well fuck your company then. They didn't make it better for you."

There are two strategies. Everything else is derivative.

Sacrifice everything and go into debt for explosive growth.
    Sacrifice explosive growth for principles and slow sustainable growth.

If you're the type that is concerned with principles, giving the customer what they really need, workplace security, and a sharp focus on workplace environment and employee morale. Then you want the sustainable growth company, and guess what that comes from? Conservatism.

If however, you want a fat check and quick rise up the ladder, you want an explosive growing company. You won't get a focus on principles and morale. That's Progressivism.

Now, don't get this confused with political ideology. I'm talking about the economic mentality of the two parties.

• ♿ (Parody)

@xaade said:

What. the. fuck?

It lives up to all of the high standards I've come to expect from a @flabdablet link.

• So my fault was taking it seriously?

• ♿ (Parody)

It's fun to take those things apart from time to time.

• @xaade said:

the economic mentality of the two parties.

Which two parties?

• @flabdablet said:

Which two parties?

Conservative and Progressive economics, which often belong to people who overlap with Conservative and Progressive social ideologies, but not always.

It's important to keep these two metrics separate.

• It's funny how progressive economics produces a work environment counter to progressive social ideology.

But this isn't the first measure of how progressivism says one thing and does the exact opposite.

• Bless your heart.