Nag screen ≡ Easter Egg, apparently…

• FoxDev

• Poor Microsoft. They can't do anything right.

• kills Dumbledore

The article spends a load of paragraphs explaining what it is then the bit about why it's an Easter egg rather than nagware is basically "it was released around Easter, and there might be more to it than the nagware"

I don't have a problem with being alerted when 10 comes out though. Already decided to upgrade pretty close to day 1 anyway

• Depending on the intrusiveness, it can range from "pretty nice of them to inform users of the upgrade" (a baloon popup once or twice) to "fucking hell even my operating system is adware now?!"

Also, those guys have no idea what an "easter egg" is.

• Hmm.

Once the notification operation commences, who knows what other pleasant, unexpected, or entertaining surprises will come with it!

I read that as...

There's a ticking sound coming from this unusually heavy briefcase and nobody knows who left it here. Maybe it's full of candy!

• I like this comment:

@thebaldguy said:

So...an advertisement for an upcoming OS is given an "important" update status, allowing it to get past many busy sysadmins, and the writer of the article thinks it's a cute Easter egg instead of an obnoxious, uneccesary-for-business, unwanted ad?

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@Maciejasjmj said:

Depending on the intrusiveness, it can range from "pretty nice of them to inform users of the upgrade" (a baloon popup once or twice) to "fucking hell even my operating system is adware now?!"

Since you pretty much nailed what I wanted to say, I will just like your post and quote it.

Filed Under: See it as an "easter egg"

• @Maciejasjmj said:

Yeah, this thing is pretty much the opposite of an easter egg. Easter eggs are meant to be little surprises left by a developer that you have to look for, and hopefully make you smile. This will show up without effort from the user, so it removes the whole "searching" aspect, which is why they're called easter eggs in the first place, and I doubt it's a funny surprise that will make anyone smile.

• The update is hidden in the Windows 7/8.1 operating system, much like Easter Eggs of the olden days.

It's "hidden"! Just like every other update! And system file! C:\Windows is an easter egg! Regedit is an easter egg! The TCP/IP stack is an easter egg! Even the processor is an easter egg!

Thanks to SwiftKey keyboard learning, I can now type "is an easter egg" in 5 taps! Is this an easter egg?

• kills Dumbledore

@anonymous234 said:

Even the processor is an easter egg

Only a processor you installed around Easter

• Otherwise it's just a regular egg?

Filed under: GIS has results for everything

• ♿ (Parody)

Fucking Windows Update. Can't just notify you and give you the updates when they're available. Has to serve up pre-updates for the updates.

Filed under: Yo Dawg

• apt-get dist-upgrade

• kills Dumbledore

@boomzilla said:

Fucking Windows Update. Can't just notify you and give you the updates when they're available. Has to serve up pre-updates for the updates.

My phone required an update from the app store before I could download the OS update. My first Android phone required a full system update to the same version of Android before it could get the upgrade to the next versioon

• @Jaloopa said:

My phone required an update from the app store before I could download the OS update.

Well, apparently you didn't have all the pre-reqs for the OS update. They try not to bundle everything possible into the download, so there are pre-reqs. Go figure.

@Jaloopa said:

My first Android phone required a full system update to the same version of Android before it could get the upgrade to the next versioon

Updates were weird in the early Android days. They're getting better. My current Android updated with no issues or weird update rules. Well, ok, I did have to download the update from my computer, but that's because I didn't want to wait on my carrier to say that I could have the OTA update.

• kills Dumbledore

Between weirdness in the early days and delays later on that meant I was already rooted and running custom ROMs before there was an official update available, my Moto G is the first phone I've had that's actually received an OTA update.

With Google Play services, core OS updates are a lot less necessary than they used to be, although I'll be glad when 5.1 is available for my phone since 5.0 is a performance killer with 1GB of RAM

• ♿ (Parody)

@Jaloopa said:

My phone

Speaking of which...it's been raining a lot here recently. I need to cut the grass again.

• kills Dumbledore

Even the grass has to stay off your lawn?

• Speaking of Windows 10... I'm tempted to try out the customer preview on my tablet, but that would obviously mean I won't have Windows 8 on it anymore. Anybody knows if that still leaves me eligible for the upgrade?

• @Jaloopa said:

Even the grass has to stay off your lawn?

Of course! If you have too much grass, how can you properly survey your lawn to ensure that no own else is trespassing on your domain? This is one reason why I enjoy desert landscaping and artificial turf. The other reasons are:

• I'm allergic to grass.
    • Water is expensive in Phoenix.

• BINNED

No mention of Adventure for Atari 2600?

It's a secret to ever... That's not... :facepalm:

"You are a stupid, square-headed bald git, aren't you? And you, I'm pointing at you, I'm pointing at you, but I'm not actually addressing you. I'm addressing the one prat in the whole country who's bothered to get hold of this recording, turn it 'round and actually work out the rubbish that I'm saying. What a poor, sad life he's got!"
    — Backmasked message played in Red Dwarf, "Backwards"

Oh that's coo... No! NO!

Not even Red Dwarf can save it. Bad page. No cookie!

• No mention of Adventure for Atari 2600?

It's a wiki. Fix it!

• BINNED

That sounds suspiciously like work.

• Perfect. Fix it on the clock tomorrow. 😉

• I already ignore around four Microsoft at Work and Microsoft at Home feeds every day, which I'm sure they'll increase as 10 gets nearer release. Now they're going to waste my time popping up something I have to watch?

I hereby announce a suspicion: Microsoft is deliberately destroying user productivity.

When Microsoft was pushing XP users to upgrade, our company balked, saying, "What's in it for us? There are no productivity improvements or other significant advantages to offset the money you want us to outlay."

To overcome that objection, I think Microsoft has decided to add features deliberately to make the systems less productive. So that when later versions come out, they can remove the unproductive crud and say, "Look what a wonderful thing we done for your productivity!"

This "feature" would be a perfect example: They're going to play "Windows 10 is great" to around 30 thousand of our users, none of whom can upgrade themselves (corporate deployment management). But boy will they put pressure on the deployments group to upgrade to the next version. But how does popping up videos (or whatever) help our user productivity? Right.