Boost::Fuck! (the git command)

• ➜  apt-get install vim
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?

➜ fuck
    sudo apt-get install vim
    [sudo] password for nvbn:
    Reading package lists... Done

➜ git push
    fatal: The current branch master has no upstream branch.
    To push the current branch and set the remote as upstream, use

git push --set-upstream origin master

➜ fuck
    git push --set-upstream origin master
    Counting objects: 9, done.

➜ puthon
    No command 'puthon' found, did you mean:
     Command 'python' from package 'python-minimal' (main)
     Command 'python' from package 'python3' (main)
    zsh: command not found: puthon

➜ fuck
    python
    Python 3.4.2 (default, Oct  8 2014, 13:08:17)

➜ git brnch
    git: 'brnch' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.

Did you mean this?
        branch

➜ fuck
    git branch
    * master

Nice!

• SockDev

That should be a standard-install package for every Linux distro.

And every other OS for that matter 😄

• ➜ git brnch

Did you mean this?
        branch

➜ fuk
    No command 'fuk' found, did you mean 'fuck'

➜ Ctrl+D

OT: Since when is ➜ an indicator of what has been $ for the last 30 years?

• @Eldelshell said:

Get with the times man. Technology is moving forward.

• @Eldelshell said:

➜ git brnch

Did you mean this?
        branch</blockquote>

No you dumbass, I said "get brunch".

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@cartman82 said:

Technology is moving forwardto the right.

Filed Under: FTFY

• So if you delete files, it can undo that?

No?

It only helps with syntax errors?

Fuck.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

So if you delete files, it can undo that?

The GUI recovery tools also don't help if you use DEL from the command line in Windows. That a computer might actually do what you tell it to is somehow mysterious to you is ironic.

• @Eldelshell said:

Since the invention of custom prompts and Unicode.

@blakeyrat said:

So if you delete files, it can undo that?

No?

It only helps with syntax errors?

Fuck.

If you're that stupid incapable annoyed by it, you can replace the rm program with something that moves files in some directory instead of deleting them.

• @dkf said:

That a computer might actually do what you tell it to is somehow mysterious to you is ironic.

Do you honestly think these two things are mutually-exclusive:

1. A computer should do what I tell it to do
    1. I should be able to tell a computer to undo the last thing I did

Show your work.

I just don't know how your people's brains work. I'm here saying, "I want to be able to undo a command," and you reply with "COMPUTERS SHOULD DO WHAT YOU TELL THEM TO DO DUH DERP HERP DERP DUH!" Well duh. But how does your response relate to my post? At all? The two things are entirely orthogonal. Do you even spend a third of a second thinking about these posts before you make them?

• @blakeyrat said:

Do you honestly think these two things are mutually-exclusive:

1. A computer should do what I tell it to do
    2. I should be able to tell a computer to undo the last thing I did

Show your work.

You and @dkf seem to have different understanding of what deleting means. You think of deleting as "I don't see it anymore", and @dkf is more like "this thing ceases to exist".

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

If I just didn't want to see the thing any more, I'd close my eyes. Or the window. Whatever.

• @Gaska said:

You and @dkf seem to have different understanding of what deleting means. You think of deleting as "I don't see it anymore", and @dkf is more like "this thing ceases to exist".

It doesn't matter WHAT the operation is, I just want to be able to undo it. Always. At all times. Why shouldn't I be able to?

If Linux assholes pulled their heads out of their asses for a few minutes and stopped giving a shit about being so 1337, they might realize: "hey wait, that's a really good idea."

• @blakeyrat said:

I just don't know how your people's brains work. I'm here saying, "I want to be able to undo a command," and you reply with "COMPUTERS SHOULD DO WHAT YOU TELL THEM TO DO DUH DERP HERP DERP DUH!" Well duh. But how does your response relate to my post? At all? The two things are entirely orthogonal. Do you even spend a third of a second thinking about these posts before you make them?

"DUH DERP HERP DERP DUH" 🤣

That out of the way: "Computers should do what you tell them" is not the same thing as "Computers should UNDO what I told them to do." I had this friend that used to say, "First word goes to God, second word goes to the dogs." If your first word is "delete x forever", why would you expect that your second word, "undo my delete x forever" should do anything useful?

Yes, people make mistakes, and the software industry has worked hard to make as many things undo-able as possible. But there will always be things that can't be undone...just like you can't un-pull the trigger on a gun. So be careful what you ask the computer to do: you might get it, forever.

• @CoyneTheDup said:

Yes, people make mistakes, and the software industry has worked hard to make as many things undo-able as possible.

NOT IN THE OPEN SOURCE WORLD that is exactly my complaint.

@CoyneTheDup said:

But there will always be things that can't be undone...just like you can't un-pull the trigger on a gun.

Right; but there shouldn't be.

NOW WE GET INTO THE PART OF THE THREAD WHERE IT BECOMES APPARENT YOU DUMBFUCK MORONS DON'T KNOW WHAT THE WORD "SHOULD" MEANS!

Try this: "there will always be traffic accidents." WELL DUH! Does that mean we should stop trying to prevent traffic accidents? No, that line of thinking is insane and retarded. SO WHY IS IT TO COMMON IN THE COMPUTER WORLD!?

• area_deu

BUT YOU CAN ALSO PERMA-DELETE IN CLOSED-SOURCE WINDOWS.
    You dumbfuck.

And all widely-used GUI file managers in Linux have the delete button set to move things to trash. Not perma delete. Just like in the proper closed-source software.

Seriously, you always use the same stupid invalid arguments to annoy everyone every time the word CLI or shell gets mentioned. It's getting fucking old. Really. Really fucking old.

• @aliceif said:

BUT YOU CAN ALSO PERMA-DELETE IN CLOSED-SOURCE WINDOWS.

And I criticize that behavior, too. I've done so dozens of times on this forum.

... are you trying to paint me as a hypocrite, or what is this?

@aliceif said:

And all widely-used GUI file managers in Linux have the delete button set to move things to trash. Not perma delete. Just like in the proper closed-source software.

Ok; now why don't any of the CLIs have an undo command?

@aliceif said:

Seriously, you always use the same stupid invalid arguments to annoy everyone every time the word CLI or shell gets mentioned. It's getting fucking old. Really. Really fucking old.

Then maybe do some free open source-y labor and FIX THE FUCKING PROBLEM!

As long as something's shit, I'm going to call it shit.

• area_deu

@blakeyrat said:

As long as something's shit, I'm going to call it shit.

Then fucking keep the constant fucking bitching about one and the same fucking stupid aspect of one fucking thing in one fucking thread that we can all fucking mute.

Fucking hell.

Hell, I'd pin it for you!
    [The official "DELETE NEEDS TO ALWAYS BE UNDOABLE" thread by @blakeyrat], coming to the top of your topic listing soon™

• @blakeyrat said:

It doesn't matter WHAT the operation is, I just want to be able to undo it. Always. At all times. Why shouldn't I be able to?

How do you imagine undoing disk format? How do you imagine undoing sending data to the internet? How do you imagine undoing attack in multiplayer game?

• @blakeyrat said:

SDelete?

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.