Classic: How Fucked Is My Database?

• ♿ (Parody)

@Onyx said:

I am a bit, honestly, trying to quit smoking here so

http://howfuckedismyattempttoquitsmoking.com

• @anonymous234 said:

Excel is much better. More flexible. Discourse should use it as its backend.

When you pair Excel with Exchange it becomes a high-availability distributed cluster with ridiculous levels of fault tolerance.

It occasionally runs into minor, almost insignificant issues in which one node can have a slightly different version of the data from all of the others, but really what database server doesn't run into that problem every now and then?

• ♿ (Parody)

@powerlord said:

It seems to think Oracle is OK. As long as you have money anyway.

It's all about affording the appropriate redneck.

• I have some (little) experience with Access but I have no idea how it's used in real life.

It seems to be a database in the form of an office tool. So ideal for small businesses who want to store a list of their clients and stuff like that, right?

Using it as a server definitely smells like a Bad Idea™, but since it's actually designed as a database, surely it can't be as bad as many of the other ideas we see here?

• BINNED

@Polygeekery said:

I kind of want to register www.howfuckedismycountry.com and give control of the USA version to @boomzilla and @xaade, but I would just end up with a clone of www.conservapedia.com with a lot of rants about kids being on boomy's lawn peppered throughout.

To be accurate, you'd need two competing versions: the clone of conservapedia that you mention, and one that's a clone of Huffington Post.

@Polygeekery said:

You sound like a (Rightist?), who bases all of their politics off of their religion.

Both sides do that.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@anonymous234 said:

I have some (little) experience with Access but I have no idea how it's used in real life.

It seems to be a database in the form of an office tool. So ideal for small businesses who want to store a list of their clients and stuff like that, right?

Access reminds me of a quote by Jeremy Clarkson: "The primary problem with BMWs is that they are driven entirely by cocks."

Access is no BMW, but it is primarily used by idiots.

• FoxDev

@Polygeekery said:

"The primary problem with BMWs is that they are driven entirely by cocks."

Not true any more though; a few years back they all moved to Audi

• Grade A Premium Asshole

I like the original quote better, because my best friend drives a 650i and I like to give him shit about it. ;)

• @Onyx said:

trying to quit smoking here

Going cold turkey or did you lower your daily count first? My cold breaks kept reverting till I weaned myself down pretty low before the break.

• BINNED

I tried cold turkey but it's not working out completely.

I am at 1 smoke / 24h for the last three days though. I'm working from home this week so that helps with the psychological bit I guess (no waiting for trains etc.), it's just the pure lack of nicotine that gets me.

I am actually very surprised how OK I am with drinking coffee and not smoking, given how that was something almost inseparable for me for years.

• FoxDev

@Onyx said:

it's just the pure lack of nicotine that gets me

e-cigs ;)

• BINNED

No thanks, not getting any stuff of any kind. The point is to quit it all together. Other ways to pump nicotine into the system not accepted.

I also refuse to buy patches, chewing gum or anything similar.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@RaceProUK said:

e-cigs ;)

We see a lot of those round here and I approve. They're cheaper by far (at least with our taxes) and they're a lot less unpleasant to the people around you. I won't use one myself (never started smoking) but they seem to be one hell of a lot better. For some reason they also get the health fascists in a total tizzy, so that's another reason to approve of them. 🚎

• @Onyx said:

chewing gum

Trying to get of nicotine so none of that type works, but regular gum can help with the habit of something in the mouth while waiting on trains and such (or rather helped me).

• BINNED

Will probably defer to that when back to travelling, yeah.

Currently, I'm stuffing my face with... stuff. Maybe I actually manage to gain some weight? 😆

Of course, it will all go to the wrong areas and I'll have to get rid of it again...

• FoxDev

@dkf said:

For some reason they also get the health fascists in a total tizzy

Because 'OMG SMOEKIN IZ TEH EVALS!!!1one', and they ignore the fact that it's just steam with a soupçon of nicotine

• ♿ (Parody)

@RaceProUK said:

a soupçon of nicotine

I guess they know better than to trust French.

16 people clicked that link?! What's wrong with you people?

@accalia said:

yip yip kyon yip bark kyon yip.

Spill. I know you didn't get teh spoon back.

• FoxDev

Yet. My time will come again.

@accalia said:

Yet. My time will come again.

I'll just bet.

I don't see myself as being a challenger in the foreseeable future, especially not as long as I'm on this fucking deathmarch of a project at work.

Also: is it me or has the forum been really fucking slow all day?

• FoxDev

Been getting a fair few spikes lately.

Will have to make better graphs of cooties population.

• @anonymous234 said:

Using it as a server definitely smells like a Bad Idea™, but since it's actually designed as a database, surely it can't be as bad as many of the other ideas we see here?

Access is OK if you need a small1 database that doesn't need to have multiple concurrent users. (Technically possible, but trust me, DO NOT WANT.)

But never try to do anything in Access VBA automation; it is completely insane. Take the task of copying an object, for instance. In Excel or Word or any program with a sensible object model, you'd have an object of whatever type and call its Copy method, specifying a destination. In Access?
    DoCmd.CopyObject (DestinationDatabase, NewName, SourceObjectType, SourceObjectName)
    Basically 80% of everything useful descends from the DoCmd object2.

1 Even after they switched from the old .mdb format to the more recent .accdb format, maximum database size is still 2GB.
    2 Just for fun, a list of DoCmd object members in Acces 2007:

• Hmm, accidentally posted while I was putting the list in and it won't let me edit it in. Oh well, you can have it in a separate post.

I especially like the fact that DoCmd.RunCommand is a thing.

A list of `DoCmd` object members in Access 2007 - AddMenu - ApplyFilter - Beep - CancelEvent - ClearMacroError - Close - CloseDatabase - CopyDatabaseFile - CopyObject - DeleteObject - DoMenuItem - Echo - FindNext - FindRecord - GoToControl - GoToPage - GoToRecord - Hourglass - LockNavigationPane - Maximize - Minimize - MoveSize - NavigateTo - OpenDataAccessPage - OpenDiagram - OpenForm - OpenFunction - OpenModule - OpenQuery - OpenReport - OpenStoredProcedure - OpenTable - OpenView - OutputTo - PrintOut - Quit - Rename - RepaintObject - Requery - Restore - RunCommand - RunMacro - RunSavedImportExport - RunSQL - Save - SearchForRecord - SelectObject - SendObject - SetDisplayedCategories - SetMenuItem - SetProperty - SetWarnings - ShowAllRecords - ShowToolbar - SingleStep - StartNewWorkflow - TransferDatabase - TransferSharePointList - TransferSpreadsheet - TransferSQLDatabase - TransferText - WorkflowTasks

(Edit: Thanks to @abarker for pointing me to details/summary to get rid of the wall of text previously occupying this post.)

• @Onyx said:

No thanks, not getting any stuff of any kind. The point is to quit it all together. Other ways to pump nicotine into the system not accepted.

I also refuse to buy patches, chewing gum or anything similar.

I know some people who had some succes breaking the habit by doing things like switching their mouthwash (or introducing one), drinking grapefruit juice after meals, and so on. Apparently, the idea is that your body is in the habit of craving a smoke based on certain stimuli, often tastes. By introducing strong, unfamiliar tastes, you may be able to help diminish your cravings.

• @dkf said:

For some reason they also get the health fascists in a total tizzy, so that's another reason to approve of them.

"We don't know what it is, ergo it must be evil and banned".

I love how it gets the health nuts more crazy than actual cigarettes.

• BINNED

@Maciejasjmj said:

I love how it gets the health nuts more crazy than actual cigarettes.

Might be the fact that it's harder to attack on the obvious stuff. I mean, actual cigarettes do stink up the place, smoke gets into clothes and all that. With e-cigs it's hard to attack them on that level, so you have to use actual science.

Again, actual cigarettes are easy there - tar. It's an undeniably bad thing you can point out. But e-cigs don't have that problem, AFAIK at least.

• @Onyx said:

But e-cigs don't have that problem, AFAIK at least.

Tar, no. It's basically a smoke machine like you'd see on a concert, except on a smaller scale.

It's just silly to call to ban e-cigs while also having people buy normal cigarettes. If they took away my one, I'd probably switch to regular cigarettes to benefit of nobody.

• BINNED

@Maciejasjmj said:

It's just silly to call to ban e-cigs while also having people buy normal cigarettes. If they took away my one, I'd probably switch to regular cigarettes to benefit of nobody.

Agreed.

And your second sentence is pretty much the reason I decided not to "switch" to an alternate nicotine source. I just want to be rid of it completely.

And I apologise to everyone for derailing this into a "woe is me, I needs my drugs" thread.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Onyx said:

And I apologise to everyone for derailing this into a "woe is me, I needs my drugs" thread.

I think that just goes to show how a fucked DB can fuck your life.

• kills Dumbledore

@RaceProUK said:

Because 'OMG SMOEKIN IZ TEH EVALS!!!1one'

but it NORMALISES SMOKING!
    THINK OF TEH CHILDRENZ

I got an e cig a week ago, haven't smoked a cigarette since. I wasn't a heavy smoker anyway, 2-3 rollups a day. Didn't bring tobacco to work, to prevent multiple smoke breaks.

@aliceif said:

The fuckedness scale should factor in the distance from Belgium, surely?

++

• @aliceif said:

The fuckedness scale should factor in the distance from Belgium, surely?

I guess that means I'm Infinifucked...

• @OffByOne said:

Infinifucked

I think it's worse than that.
    There's a good chance that you're belgium‌ed ...