Tautological foreign key

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Didn't know you could do that. Don't know why you would do that

• SockDev

yeah that's a self reference foreign key.

at a guess it's on a field named something like parentTicket and it associates the current ticket to another ticket.

• SockDev

Except here the PK and FK are the same column

• So that when you do a join of the table with itself on that ID, you get a stack overflow?

Well, no, that doesn't happen.

Maybe it's to get the ORM modeler lost indefinitely?

• SockDev

oh. missed that.

yeah that's..... an interesting relationship.

• Oogway: When the path you walk always leads back to yourself, you never get anywhere.

• Sounds like the DB way of checking equality multiple times. Just to make sure.

• Strangely, this is the default in SSMS when you click the button to create a new foreign key. I wondered if this condition would prevent new rows from being added, but my testing shows it doesn't.

• I guess MSS evaluates it to a no-op and ignores it to guard against people leaving the defaults and killing their DB without knowing why, they love doing stuff like that.

• I'm dissapoint there is no wooden table involved in your screen capturing workflow

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

I don't tdwtf from my work computer. I have too much vitriolic complaining to do and too high of a security monitoring profile. Therefore cell phones.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.