🐧 Lunix

• Apparently @PJH is away from a proper computer, so here you are.

• FoxDev

YIP YIP KYON YIP KYON BARK!

/me slinks away with tail in a fluff, muttering darkly at the whole world.

• FoxDev

*follows, offering comfort and candy*

• Hey, I just followed the votes. You know who flagged you, go bite some ankles! :P

• Must be all that Linux hardware you're reading the posts on.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@accalia said:

You're welcome!

• BINNED

@RaceProUK said:

Instructions on how not to get whoosh badgers:

Don't whoosh

Sure, but what if you secretly want whoosh badgers?

:blurred_lines.pdf:

• @riking said:

Linux is a broken design (as evidenced by being monolithic)

A prime class example of worse is better. GNU people have been writing Hurd using proper design for years already and were getting nowhere. And then Linus came and used simple, worse approach and got it working.

@riking said:

based on a university student's pet project

Not really relevant. Many Microsoft products were originally somebody's pet projects too; Microsoft started many projects by buying them.

@riking said:

a programming language that is broken in almost every imaginable way.

That language is also great example of worse is better. It is primitive, unsafe, quirky, but it is simple and for writing kernels there are not exactly many alternatives (and there were no alternatives in 1993, remember, C++, the only alternative, was still being designed back then).

@riking said:

It defies any attempt to make it more modular ("modules" are loaded into the monolithic kernel process).

The loading is not the issue; the fact that they have to be recompiled for every build of the kernel is. Definitely problem indeed.

On the other hand back on university I was able to write a Linux module mostly fine while a colleague who was trying to do comparable module for Windows gave up due to documentation being utter crap. Our supervisor got us a book available with MSDN subscription (via school's subscription), but it contained a bunch of totally uncommented examples and explanation of locking that he could not make heads and tails of.

@riking said:

And let's not even mention the fact that monolithic kernels have been the laughing stock of kernel designers for decades now.

And kernel designers who can't push anything to production for decades have been laughing stock of pragmatic programmers for the same time.

@accalia said:

please, correct me if i'm wrong here but isn't the Windows NT kernel also monolithic, with dynamically loaded modules (device drivers))?

No. It is a micro-kernel where some stuff that does not really belong there was pushed in the inner core for performance reasons (parts of GDI) and parts that remained as separate servers (filesystem) suck big time. File lookup and directory listing performance in Windows (with hot cache) is just ridiculous.

• Not sure if joking or haven't read the thread, but...

@Bulb said:

No. It is a micro-kernel where some stuff that does not really belong there was pushed in the inner core for performance reasons (parts of GDI) and parts that remained as separate servers (filesystem) suck big time. File lookup and directory listing performance in Windows (with hot cache) is just ridiculous.

Yep... I looked at the exploit walkthrough for something that involved setting a window's borders with a null deref or something and I was amazed at how many layers of indirection with names like "_XxOldSetWindowBorder" (not representative sample) there were.

• FoxDev

I may not have flagged my paramour, but I sure as hell won't hesitate to flag you! 😛

• @riking said:

Not sure if joking or haven't read the thread

I have read the thread and was aware you were trolling, but took that as serious to set up for a bit of Windows bashing.

• @Bulb said:

@riking said:
    a programming language that is broken in almost every imaginable way.

That language is also great example of worse is better. It is primitive, unsafe, quirky, but it is simple and for writing kernels there are not exactly many alternatives (and there were no alternatives in 1993, remember, C++, the only alternative, was still being designed back then).

Note that "C is a 100% broken language" was another line of trolling in the thread this is partially from.

• @riking said:

Not sure if joking or haven't read the thread, but...

Read the thread. Chose to interpret your flag as an indication that you were flagging for a whoosher … or is this a case of a missing reply indicator?

I've concluded that this is the case.

• It's the quote, I quoted that post at the bottom.

What you're referring to systemd is, in fact FDO/GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taking to calling it, freedesktop.org plus GNU plus Linux. systemd is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning FDO system made useful by dbus, the X/Wayland display servers, your choice of desktop environment, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full desktop operating system as defined by freedesktop.org and POSIX.

@accalia said:

🎏 🍝

Also when did we get new emoji?! 🎌 🐆

Filed under: Not even the new Discomoji have :spam:

@loopback0 said:

Also when did we get new emoji?!

[pjh@sofa discourse]$ git blame ./lib/emoji/db.json | egrep "leopard|crossed_flags"
    e6e79486 plugins/emoji/db.json (Régis Hanol 2014-12-11 17:08:47 +0100 2474)   , "description": "leopard"
    e6e79486 plugins/emoji/db.json (Régis Hanol 2014-12-11 17:08:47 +0100 2476)       "leopard"
    e6e79486 plugins/emoji/db.json (Régis Hanol 2014-12-11 17:08:47 +0100 3221)       "crossed_flags"
    [pjh@sofa discourse]$ 

😆

Wonder why I've not noticed them before.

• It's interesting to see how Linus sometimes talks to other volunteer programmers. I mean, a modern boss generally wouldn't dare talk like that to an employee. I would have thought that Linus would speak more gently to a volunteer programmer than a boss would to an employee, but I guess not. I guess a real boss has potentially liabilities that a volunteer boss doesn't have.

@chozang said:

It's interesting to see how Linus sometimes talks to other volunteer programmers.

You should note that he treats people who are regular contributors more strictly than those who are occasional contributors. The regulars are assumed to know much more properly about the importance of keeping things working and the subtleties involved in that, so when they mess that up, they get a much more stringent sanction: they should know better.

Occasional contributors are just much less likely to get their code in in the first place without extensive modifications from regulars, so it's much less important for them to be aware of the niceties of the codebase. Thus, no need to be rude to them as well.

• @chozang said:

It's interesting to see how Linus sometimes talks to other volunteer programmers.

Linus has always been a git and kinda proud of it¹. However in the time I watched some Linux mailing lists (which, admittedly, ended some years ago) I've never seen him switch from cursing the work to cursing the author. A more sensitive person can easily infer that they are stupid, but my impression always was that it was never meant; it was always about the particular idea or work and if they do better job next time, all is forgottenforgiven.

I've also never seen him curse without having a good point.

@chozang said:

I mean, a modern boss generally wouldn't dare talk like that to an employee. I would have thought that Linus would speak more gently to a volunteer programmer than a boss would to an employee, but I guess not. I guess a real boss has potentially liabilities that a volunteer boss doesn't have.

A boss in a company usually needs the person, because they have deadlines to make and if the person went, they would not make them, so they have to be diplomatic. Linux does not have any deadlines and generally does not have shortage of programmers either, so Linus does not give a damn if somebody gets offended and leaves.

@Bulb said:

if they do better job next time, all is forgottenforgiven

FTFY<discourse>

• BINNED

@Bulb said:

Linus does not give a damn if somebody gets offended and leaves.

He thinks this auto-pruning (show good code or do not waste our time) in the long run produces better code, and he is not afraid of using his right to offend when necessary. Which judging by the size and impact of Linux seems to have been the right decision.

There is no vetting to get top talent in OSS. If you let any random stranger in the internet come, and demand to have your (and your team's) time, most likely than not it hurts productivity, being direct/rude is the best way to deter offenders but keep those that are straight to the business. Respect is earned.

• Considered Harmful

Hi, you should stop talking about Unix, because you don't know anything about it. I, in turn, will not talk about PowerShell.

• Hi, you should only talk about things I say you can. I, in turn, will not talk about things I don't want to talk about.

• ♿ (Parody)

I suspect you're both right. And neither opinion will make any difference.

• Considered Harmful

Hi, you should tell me not to talk about people not talking about things they don't know anything about even in cases where to not do so is like not tranquilizing a rabid dog, I, in turn, will not tell anyone it is inadvisable to hold forth on what they know nothing of, but, will continue to do so myself.

But, given my binding authority over @blakeyrat's actions, perhaps I did overstep a bit there. Okay, fine.

@blakeyrat, you're off the hook, you can make an ass of yourself wherever you like. I hope your enforced vacation from stupidity has taught you a lesson - wait, @magus, am I going over the line again here?

• All I know is that you're a moron, and you presume too much. It's one thing to call someone stupid and expose their lack of knowledge, and quite another to tell them to not ever mention a subject for an arbitrary reason that only matters to you. Since you can't tell the difference, you are, as I said, a moron.

• Considered Harmful

Okay - let's try something here. I am presuming too much, having read, over a period of months, many posts by a poster in which, consistently, he is ill-informed, on a particular subset of topics. Carrying on in my sin, I suggest he not talk about it, which in context, is intended to convey to him that I consider him uninformed. Mostly, in fact, to make him angry.

Do you live with censorship locally? I am not presuming, mind, I am asking.

So, having made or not made @blakeyrat angry, apparently I make you angry. Because you presume my motivations and intent. So I guess you're also a moron.

Re-reading your above post, I could gain the impression that you are trying to elevate the level of discourse while participating in the lowest forms of it, and indeed are trying to store up some cake that you are, in fact, eating right now... however, who knows?

• @Gribnit said:

Because you presume my motivations and intent.

I 'presume' that you want someone to stop talking about something, because it annoys you. But no one cares. You don't matter.

• Considered Harmful

Nah, I want @blakeyrat to be offended and angry. That's really what I was looking for. I know for a fact that people get very upset when they feel they are censored. Apparently I did great on the payload size but poorly on the aim, ya poor little SJW.

@Magus said:

But no one cares. You don't matter.

Right. That's what I was going for, that kind of offense you're trying to give now.

• Oh mighty one, I bask in your trollish glory. Lead me in the true way!

• Considered Harmful

If you meet the Buddha on the road, troll him.

• @Gribnit said:

If you meet the Buddha on the road, troll him.

The historical quote to which you were referring is itself a troll. No wise person would ever suggest anything like that.

• Curse youtube! I finally had a good situation in which to link episode 10 of Gag Manga Biyori...

• Considered Harmful

Then it would probably be a mistake to consider someone who suggests that sort of thing a wise person.