Changing DISCOURSE_SMTP_USER_NAME ?



  • So, I figured out how to log in to the server, and edit the configuration file that has the bad smtp user name. On a real operating system, that would have not only been trivial to do, but sufficient to solve the configuration problem. Since this is Linux, of course nothing is easy.

    1. I saved the file. It still shows as ".com.com" on the admin page.
    2. Then I did a "launcher restart", and it didn't seem to update it.
    3. Then I ssh'd in to the container, and tried a export DISCOURSE_SMTP_USER_NAME , which also didn't do it.
    4. Then I "entered" the container, whatever the fuck that means, and tried to export the environment variable there, too.
    5. Then I angrily posted this message

    Any ideas? Do I seriously have to do a "launcher rebuild" (which, I presume means it will recreate the whole container from an image, or something docker bullshity like that)... just to change the smtp user name?


  • SockDev

    honestly, i wouldn't blame Linux for that one. there is clearly a lot of extra things discourse added to the steps here

    the steps should have been:

    1. Log in
    2. Edit the config filr
    3. Reload the config file
    4. done.


  • @accalia said:

    i wouldn't blame Linux for that one

    .... I feel it's somehow at fault. OK, i'll try the rebuild thingy!


  • SockDev

    @apapadimoulis said:

    .... I feel it's somehow at fault.

    well.... it's not completely innocent, but this really feels like mostly a discourse thing.

    @Riking? you know this stuff... is there an easier way?


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    @apapadimoulis said:

    Do I seriously have to do a "launcher rebuild"

    I started playing around with a discourse instance just for fun and messed up the email config multiple times while trying to set it up. Each time involved a rebuild of the container. It still seems like overkill to me.

    ... I guess I'll just wait until the rebuild is finished.

    ... also, it is really deceptive to display the post as if it was successfully submitted when the server is down. Yes, there is an error message but I was confused for a moment.



  • Rebuilt! And now emails working.

    I also now just set mandrill to allow requests from this IP. There's a chance that was the problem this whole time.

    I still blame Linux.


  • SockDev

    @apapadimoulis said:

    Rebuilt! And now emails working.

    Let's see if i get that registration email now...

    @apapadimoulis said:

    I still blame Linux.

    :wtf: :interrobang:


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    Woosh?


  • SockDev

    @sloosecannon said:

    Woosh?

    there's a whole category for that sort of talk. shoo. shoo. off to the nice clean category that's kept swept by all the talk of woosh.



  • @apapadimoulis said:

    I still blame Linux.

    Good thing you choose this shitty-ass bullshit product then!

    EDIT: oh hey look, avatars are broken. Brilliant. We almost went about 47 nanoseconds without a new bug appearing.


  • SockDev

    @blakeyrat said:

    EDIT: oh hey look, avatars are broken. Brilliant. We almost went about 47 nanoseconds without a new bug appearing.

    unfortunately not a bug... that's intentional.

    :headdesk:



  • @accalia said:

    unfortunately not a bug... that's intentional.

    :headdesk:

    I'm still of a mind to go over to meta.d and complain about it...


  • SockDev

    don't let me stop you.

    in the mean time i'm sure @PJH will fix it via CSS when he wakes up in the morning.... maybe after he has some coffee too.



  • @accalia said:

    unfortunately not a bug...

    HERE'S A SHORT QUIZ FOR FUCKING RETARDED PEOPLE WHO DON'T THINK THIS IS A BUG!!!!!

    Q: What image did I upload to be my avatar? PICK ONE!

    If you answered 1, CONGRATULATIONS, YOU ARE A FUCKTARD!

    #THIS IS A BUG.

    It's such a fundamental fucking basic bug I hardly even know how to reply to someone so fucking idiotic they say it's not a bug. Like, what the fuck is wrong with your brain?!

    Stop being an apologist for Discourse bugs. Stop. STOP IT. STOPPPPPPPPDaposdfwlaueseiyu



  • Seriously, it's one of Attwood's "innovations". Apparently circles look more "humanizing" or something...

    It goes without saying that I think it looks awful, and I want square avatars back ASAP.



  • @tar said:

    Seriously, it's one of Attwood's "innovations".

    And yet...

    #IT'S A FUCKING BUG!

    Jesus, people. What is wrong with your brain? I uploaded an image, Discourse is not displaying the image, THAT IS A BUG!


  • SockDev

    @blakeyrat said:

    THIS IS A BUG.

    no, it's a design choice. it's a stupid design choice, and shouldn't have been implemented. but it's not a bug.

    a bug is unintentional breakage. this was intentional. I'm not sure what to call it really, but i know it's not a bug.

    let's call it broken instead. we can agree on that bit at least.



  • @accalia said:

    but it's not a bug.

    I don't have whatever delusional piece of shit brain you morons have where I upload image A and I see with my own two eyes image B and it's not a bug. My brain won't do it.

    I don't know what the FUCK is wrong with you Discourse apologists, but I've never seen a more obvious bug in my life.

    Tell you what, instead of coming here and acting like I'm the crazy person for having THE ONLY POSSIBLE REASONABLE REACTION TO THIS BUG just go back to sucking Atwood's cock and leave me alone, k?



  • It looks like you can get rid of it locally by setting border-radius: 0 in the CSS...


  • SockDev

    @blakeyrat said:

    I've never seen a more obvious bug in my life.

    then file a bug report on meta.d where something might actually get done about it.

    there's nothing stopping you and yelling about it at me for disagreeing with you on what is and isn't a bug isn't going to solve anything. i just use this software i don't actually write it.

    i write bots (and now websites) that abuse it instead.



  • @accalia said:

    then file a bug report on meta.d where something might actually get done about it.

    You're a fucking liar and you know it.

    If I posted a bug report there, the only thing that would happen is Atwood would double-down, AND YOU KNOW IT.

    @accalia said:

    i just use this software i don't actually write it.

    You're also perfectly ok with it having fucking obvious bugs, because apparently like Alex here you just LOVE using shitty software written by idiots.



  • I think I'm going to install Tampermonkey...


  • SockDev

    @blakeyrat said:

    If I posted a bug report there, the only thing that would happen is Atwood would double-down, AND YOU KNOW IT.

    not my fault that. but like i said yelling at me accomplishes nothing.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    You're also perfectly ok with it having fucking obvious bugs, because apparently like Alex here you just LOVE using shitty software written by idiots.

    Worth it for the Blakeyrants alone!



  • Stylish would be more appropriate in this case.





  • @apapadimoulis said:

    Do I seriously have to do a "launcher rebuild" (which, I presume means it will recreate the whole container from an image, or something docker bullshity like that)... just to change the smtp user name?

    Yes, and it's Discourse's fault, not anything related to Linux.



  • PETITION TO REPLACE THE BORDER RADIUS WITH -webkit-filter: blur(2px);



  • So now I am the master of my own CSS. I decided I actually quite like border-radius: 5px; ALL THE THINGS!


  • SockDev

    bug
    noun

    Anything @blakeyrat doesn't like


    By that definition, I'm a bug. But I'm not a bug, I'm a hedgehog!


    I'm sure @PJH will fix it through CSS at some point; round avatars are proving less than popular...



  • @apapadimoulis said:

    I still blame Linux.

    Seems legit.
    Linux hardware etc



  • Yup, it's a bug. A bug that @wood introduced intentionally and thinks of as a feature/graphical design decision, but a bug nonetheless.


  • BINNED

    It's an intentional bug. Kind of like a planned unplanned outage



  • @tar said:

    ALL THE THINGS!

    You forgot the hearts ... they still have a sharp point! Think of the children!



  • @blakeyrat said:

    THIS IS A BUG.

    It's such a fundamental fucking basic bug I hardly even know how to reply to someone so fucking idiotic they say it's not a bug. Like, what the fuck is wrong with your brain?!

    Stop being an apologist for Discourse bugs. Stop. STOP IT. STOPPPPPPPPDaposdfwlaueseiyu

    @blakeyrat said:

    IT'S A FUCKING BUG!

    Jesus, people. What is wrong with your brain? I uploaded an image, Discourse is not displaying the image, THAT IS A BUG!

    Exactly! This isn't the first bug too. Avatars have been bugged up for like a year, or even more. The image I uploaded was much larger and wasn't even in the same format (I wanted a JPEG, damn it)!

    FIX YOUR DAMN BUGS ATWOOD

    AND SHOW ME MY FUCKING IMAGE!


  • Banned

    @blakeyrat said:

    We almost went about 47 nanoseconds without a new bug appearing.

    Well, to be fair, it was 40 more nanoseconds than last time.



  • Nail it harder !



  • @PleegWat said:

    Yup, it's a bug. A bug that @wood introduced intentionally and thinks of as a feature/graphical design decision, but a bug nonetheless.

    Because they're the same thing. Duh.



  • JDGI


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.