Apparently "lightweight" is something else than it used to be

• Hi gang, this is going to be a rant on word meanings.

I remember time when "lightweight", when used on software, meant something that has a small disk and memory footprint. Like programs which fit on a single diskette in days of programs taking several megabytes. Software that was unnoticeable in process list. Software that was fast, dammit. Software that had comprehensible codebase.

Now some fucking morons advertise Chrome, ChromeOS as being "lightweight". 10 fucking gigabytes of disk space in source form. Lightweight my ass. Or something equally monstrous.

I mean, what the actual fuck is with those people.

• kills Dumbledore

Chrome OS is pretty lightweight for an OS. It's a much smaller footprint than Windows 7 or 8

• FoxDev

Evidently it's never met Damn Small Linux; that is lightweight enough to run on a 486 😛

• BINNED

10 Gigs? Wha...

onyx@jarvis:~$ sudo df -h
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda3        29G  8.0G   19G  30% /
    udev             10M     0   10M   0% /dev
    tmpfs           1.2G  9.9M  1.2G   1% /run
    tmpfs           2.9G   15M  2.9G   1% /dev/shm
    tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
    tmpfs           2.9G     0  2.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    /dev/sda6       645G  560G   54G  92% /home
    tmpfs           586M  4.0K  586M   1% /run/user/120
    tmpfs           586M   16K  586M   1% /run/user/1000
    onyx@jarvis:~$ uname -a
    Linux jarvis 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt7-1 (2015-03-01) x86_64 GNU/Linux

And that's a bunch of packages on this system. The hell are they bundling with it?

• :belt_onion:

According to
    @ Download Cr OS Linux said:

976 MB tar.gz (3.9 GB unpacked)

That's not DSL small, or even Ubuntu small, but it's definitely not 10 gigs... perhaps
    @wft said:

in source form

is the issue here?

(That's a disk image by the way, not an installer. Or at least AFAICT that's what it is...)

EDIT:
    And
    [quote="http://chromeos.hexxeh.net]
    download size is around 250MB
    [/quote]
    And those builds may be (probably are) larger than Google's specific-hardware-optimized builds

• I was not aware that source code needed to be on disk or in memory to run a program.

• BINNED

@ben_lubar said:

I was not aware that source code needed to be on disk or in memory to run a program.

It's the most efficient way. You compile before every run, ensuring that it always uses the newest libraries and optimizations for your machine.