Larger than Vista

• It is worth noting that all the other folders display exact sizes in their tooltips. Perhaps Microsoft wants to hide how bloated Vista is?

[img]http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k19/Carnildo/LargerThanVista.jpg[/img]

• Windows XP has a similar feature. I suppose this is only to display the tooltip faster. Note that if you display a tooltip, then hide it and show the same one right after, the size will be the same, but if you display another tooltip then go to the first folder, Windows will have increased the size. Repeat until you get the exact size (you know the alternative). Anyway, this happen on WinXP SP2, with the WINDOWS folder and also with the Program Files and Documents and Settings folders (they are over 8 Go each, imagine how long I'd have to wait for a mere tooltip to display...).

Do you know how to make screenshots? 

• [quote user="FraGag"]

[/quote]

I was just wondering that, ever heard of the print screen key :p

Anyway, as FraGag says, this also happens in Windows XP. It just takes time to scan a very large folder to get its size, unless you want to wait ages for the tooltip to appear.

• @FraGag said:

Windows XP has a similar feature. I suppose this is only to display the tooltip faster. Note that if you display a tooltip, then hide it and show the same one right after, the size will be the same, but if you display another tooltip then go to the first folder, Windows will have increased the size. Repeat until you get the exact size (you know the alternative). Anyway, this happen on WinXP SP2, with the WINDOWS folder and also with the Program Files and Documents and Settings folders (they are over 8 Go each, imagine how long I'd have to wait for a mere tooltip to display...).

And yet, the tooltip with the exact size for "windows.old" (which, despite the name, contains not only the previous install of Windows, but also "\Program Files" and "\Documents and Settings") shows up immediately: 1.58 GB. The tooltip for "\Windows", meanwhile, remained at "Larger than 28.5 MB" from when I first noticed it, until I got tired of beating my head against the network and pulled out my digital camera.

@FraGag said:

Yes, but I've got no way to get them off the computer in question: no floppy drive, no CD burner, and the network doesn't. It's another Vista WTF at work here: when logging in to a fileserver, Vista prepends your computer name to the supplied user name, and forces you to use that as your login name for the server. Needless to say, that doesn't work.

• You forgot to print the photo and take a snapshot of it on a wooden table

• [quote user="Carnildo"]And yet, the tooltip with the exact size for "windows.old" (which, despite the name, contains not only the previous install of Windows, but also "\Program Files" and "\Documents and Settings") shows up immediately: 1.58 GB. The tooltip for "\Windows", meanwhile, remained at "Larger than 28.5 MB" from when I first noticed it, until I got tired of beating my head against the network and pulled out my digital camera.[/quote]

This is because that information is already cached (probably because you played with it recently).

Try the following:

Right click on the windows folder (hate Microsoft terminology, they're called directories, but thats a WTF for another time) and select properties (this is probably the same Vista as it was in XP), and watch as the OS recursively calculates the size of the subdirectories. When the size stops changing, you know the true size of the folder. Now, it is cached. Try the tooltip again, and be amazed!

Not a WTF, its perfectly sane behaviour (it would be a WTF if popping up a tooltip required traversal of all subfolders)

• [quote user="Carnildo"]I've got no way to get them off the computer in question: no floppy drive, no CD burner, and the network doesn't. It's another Vista WTF at work here: when logging in to a fileserver, Vista prepends your computer name to the supplied user name, and forces you to use that as your login name for the server. Needless to say, that doesn't work.[/quote]

What??  I've been running Vista RC1 for a few months now.  It's not a member of the domain here, but I can access the domain file server fine.  Did you try Username@Domain?  Or perhaps DOMAIN\Username?  Because yeah, if you try "Username", it'll change it to YOURCOMPUTER\Username, because it's trying to use your local credentials.  And if your sever isn't on a domain, try SERVERNAME\Username.

It's the same in XP.

• It probably just sums up the sizes of the first 256 (random guess) files in the folder, for speed's sake.  Works great for most folders, and keeps windows from thrashing your drive for 5 minutes to generate a tooltip for the windows dir, and it's tens of thousands of tiny files.

It is kind of funny though :)

• [quote user="FraGag"]

[/quote]

Sorry, I have to get it out of my system... perhaps he took a screenshot, printed it, placed it on a wooden table, took a photo, scanned the photo...

^H^H^H

This is TDWTF, obviously eleventy billion people thought of it first.
    Time to shut up and go back into lurkmode.

• [quote user="chaosite"]

Not a WTF, its perfectly sane behaviour (it would be a WTF if popping up a tooltip required traversal of all subfolders)

[/quote]

Would this still be the case if WinFS had been implemented?