GitHub Breaks Again



  • Status: GitHub for Windows broken, again. My support email:

    Clicking the Commit button now fails 100% of the time, no matter how large the commit or what repo I'm using at the time. 100% of the time.

    Here's the log:

    ...

    How do I downgrade to a working version? Why doesn't your website contain a list of known issues (because this has to be a known issue), or a list of previous releases we can use when you break your software?



  • @blakeyrat said:

    ...

    That's not a very helpful log message. Are you sure that's the whole thing?



  • Hilarious.

    EDIT: for the completely fucking stupid, the error log contains both my real name and my place of employment.



  • I wouldn't be surprised if git's default error message was "…".



  • Could you post the error message with personally identifiable information removed/replaced with fart jokes?



  • You could not be a pedantic dickweed and instead do ^



  • @JazzyJosh said:

    You could not be a pedantic dickweed and instead do ^

    He's just bitching, not asking for help.

    Not that he said he wasn't asking for help. I hope I don't get in trouble for assuming that.


  • Grade A Premium Asshole

    @blakeyrat said:

    EDIT: for the completely fucking stupid, the error log contains both my real name and my place of employment.

    Thank you for clarifying. As this is not a forum for telepaths, this clarification saved confusion on my part and the time of many others.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @blakeyrat said:

    for the completely fucking stupid, the error log contains both my real name and my place of employment.

    You do remember your real name, at least, is on the old forums?



  • Status: at least GitHub's support is pretty good as far as response time goes. I actually feel slightly guilty because I'm working for a company that's not even paying them now, but... goddamned.

    If you have a product people's JOBS depend on, you can't just update it automatically to a broken version, then tell people it's impossible to file bugs or download older versions. What the fuck!

    When did our profession go so far off the goddamned rails!? Who decided this kind of user-hostile bullshit behavior is acceptable?

    People complain about the days when giant goliaths like Microsoft, IBM, and Sun controlled basically everything, but you know what? SHIT WORKED BACK THEN.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    If you have a product people's JOBS depend on, you can't just update it automatically to a broken version, then tell people it's impossible to file bugs or download older versions. What the fuck!

    Wow...so, did they really break shit for everyone using their windows client? This seems like a big deal, but a quick google didn't turn up any news on that. Does anyone know of stuff out there?

    ADDED:

    @blakeyrat said:

    When did our profession go so far off the goddamned rails!? Who decided this kind of user-hostile bullshit behavior is acceptable?

    I think it's like you often rant about users accepting stuff. Companies are relying on this and therefore somewhat complicit. Obviously, your company would probably have more juice here if you were paying, but still...


  • sockdevs

    @boomzilla said:

    Wow...so, did they really break shit for everyone using their windows client?

    I use GitHub for Windows when working on SockBot; I've had no issues.

    Cue Blakey calling me an idiot in 3…2…1…



  • @RaceProUK said:

    I've had no issues.

    I'm going to guess it was something in the way his machine / network / whatever is configured that wasn't playing nice with something. We've seen issues like that in the past. But it's impossible to say without more info, obviously.


  • sockdevs

    He'll just expect us to be telepathic ;)



  • @boomzilla said:

    Wow...so, did they really break shit for everyone using their windows client?

    How would I know? How could I know? I know they broke shit for me.

    @boomzilla said:

    This seems like a big deal, but a quick google didn't turn up any news on that.

    That's in my complaint: they don't have a "known issues" page, so there's absolutely no way to tell if they're aware of the problem or not short of emailing them. And their email response time is usually 3 days. (Although to be fair, they got back to me overnight this time.)

    @boomzilla said:

    Companies are relying on this and therefore somewhat complicit.

    Right; but it's like the Lotus Notes thing all over again.

    Product categories where your users have no choice need to have special attention paid to UX. I don't have a choice whether to use Git, Outlook, Visual Studio, SQL Server, etc. Microsoft knows people don't have a choice, so they do their damndest to make the UX as friction-free as possible. (With some exceptions, like the Excel backwards-compatibility nightmare.)

    If users have no choice but to use the software, and you make no effort to make the product even slightly nice to use, you should expect angry, frustrated users.



  • @boomzilla said:

    Wow...so, did they really break shit for everyone using their windows client? This seems like a big deal, but a quick google didn't turn up any news on that. Does anyone know of stuff out there?

    I'm assuming @blakeyrat was affected by the bug where having expired duplicate root certificates installed could cause synchronizing to fail. I'm not sure how he managed to get expired duplicate root certificates, but Linux hardware and all that.



  • @RaceProUK said:

    I use GitHub for Windows when working on SockBot; I've had no issues.

    Really? The fact that it can't resolve conflicts at all wasn't an issue?


  • sockdevs

    I've not had to resolve a conflict yet



  • Edit: the solution is not to rely on race conditions while editing.



  • @ben_lubar said:

    I'm assuming @blakeyrat was affected by the bug where having expired duplicate root certificates installed could cause synchronizing to fail.

    The bug I'm affected by started in 2.12.0. Tuesday, creating commits worked fine.

    @ben_lubar said:

    This file has some text.

    Oh hey, look, what a shocker, it's broken for at least TWO people now.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    How would I know? How could I know? I know they broke shit for me.

    Well, you could have gotten some response from them or seen an article somewhere.

    @blakeyrat said:

    Product categories where your users have no choice need to have special attention paid to UX.

    I'm talking about the companies as the users here. They have a choice.

    @ben_lubar said:

    I'm assuming @blakeyrat was affected by the bug where having expired duplicate root certificates installed could cause synchronizing to fail.

    Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Also, it says expired or duplicate certs.



  • @boomzilla said:

    Well, you could have gotten some response from them

    I did, but it didn't say "oh this is happening to a lot of people" or "this is only happening to you" or anything like that.

    @boomzilla said:

    I'm talking about the companies as the users here. They have a choice.

    Right; but companies don't use UIs. Human beings do. And the majority of those human beings don't have a choice in this case.

    @boomzilla said:

    Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Also, it says expired or duplicate certs.

    Who was it bitching to me a few days ago about not reading all posts before replying?



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Who was it bitching to me a few days ago about not reading all posts before replying?

    :rolleyes:

    Yeah, your post came in as I was typing. Mea culpa maxima.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @boomzilla said:

    Not that he said he wasn't asking for help. I hope I don't get in trouble for assuming that.

    Since the posts didn't originate in Coding Help that's probably a cromulent assumption.

    --

    And, yes Firefox, I'm sure I've told you before that -that- word is valid, stop putting a wavy red line under it...



  • Chrome recognizes all the words in your post.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    I rather suspect I'm spoilt by the fact that most of of the stuff I use in Firefox I use is now synchronized between the 6 separate computers I regularly use it on.

    It appears that the user dictionary is not one of those things.


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    I was bitching about this in the Status thread a few days ago. It keeps happening, but sometimes it goes away and then comes back. So that's three of us.



  • I had to go out of my way to violate Git best practices to get that error message, though.



  • Really? It happens to me 100% of the time, now. Huh.


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    @ben_lubar said:

    violate Git best practices

    See, I've got two machines I switch between, but I always do a sync when I switch computers before I start editing files, so I should never have conflicts. I'm the only editor. I don't really even NEED git, it's just a handy way to keep my project in the cloud on Github. But then it breaks and I have no idea why.



  • Have you (anyone) tried using a different git client?



  • I can create commits fine on this repo with both Visual Studio 2013 (even though it can't sync) and SourceTree.


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    When github doesn't unstick itself after a while, dropping to a git shell and typing "git sync" completes with no problems. So far.



  • Even now, when I need to use GitHub, I just use TortoiseGit (which requires Git for Windows, which should be installed after TortoiseGit... because fuck you that's why).

    Hmm, TortoiseGit is still on Google Code. I wonder if they've heard about its coming closure.



  • :fa_music: Oh GitHub, GitHub
    GitHub Breaks Again
    And I've got no right to take my place
    With the human race... :fa_music:



  • @powerlord said:

    Hmm, TortoiseGit is still on Google Code. I wonder if they've heard about its coming closure.

    It says right on the page that you linked that they're discussing where to put it.



  • I also use TortoiseGit. It's the only way to go together with the command line client.

    I tried GitHub for windows a few times. It just seemed like the real :wtf: I say it's your own fault for using a shitty client.



  • We've had this argument before. From Blakey's perspective -- one that I mostly share -- GitHub for Windows and Visual Studio's Source Control Provider for Git are the only clients that aren't complete and utter shit, and GHfW isn't quite done yet.

    (My personal bugbear with GHfW is how it installs the 200MB static (each EXE is an island) build of PortableGit in roaming appdata rather than the 15MB shared (all EXEs share a common DLL) build, and doesn't clean up old versions during upgrades.

    CLOSED ASDESIGNED file a pull request with the PortableGit team to change their default build.
    Ugh.)



  • Seems it might not be GitHub's fault. This would explain the problem's I've been having (similar to @blakeyrat).



  • @MZH said:

    This would explain the problem's I've been having (similar to @blakeyrat).

    That's not even remotely close to the problem described in this thread.

    For one thing, this company doesn't even use GitHub (the website)-- we use Stash.



  • Git support:

    In this case, there have been no other reports of this error, so it's likely just a case of your repository getting into a weird state. I'll be sure to pass along your feedback to the team. Please let me know if you have any further issues using GitHub for Windows.

    What useless wankers.



  • Oh wait, I closed and restarted GitHub for Windows and guess what-- it downloaded a patch?! Gee, let's look at the release notes:

    2.12.1 Hot Fix
    Fixed: Uncommitted changes no longer trigger path length exception.

    Geewhiz, Mr. Wizard, it looks like despite GitHub's useless fucking useless response, despite his assertion that "nobody else reported this problem", there was a problem with the software and it needed to be hotfixed!

    EDIT: whatever that hotfix was, it didn't fix my problem.

    BTW, to give you an idea of how useless these guys are: they don't even use HTML emails. I keep having to tell Outlook to convert my replies to them to HTML so I can perform complicated formatting tasks like, uh, blockquoting some text. I hate open source-y people so much. Yeah, yeah, we know, you love open source-- now how about using email technology from 1998 instead of 1978?



  • @blakeyrat said:

    to give you an idea of how useless these guys are: they don't even use HTML emails.

    HTML is too hard to read in their command-line email client. :trollface:

    We should use Markdown email instead! That way it's easy to read in a text editor! :trollface: :trollface: :trollface:



  • @blakeyrat said:

    BTW, to give you an idea of how useless these guys are: they don't even use HTML emails. I keep having to tell Outlook to convert my replies to them to HTML so I can perform complicated formatting tasks like, uh, blockquoting some text. I hate open source-y people so much. Yeah, yeah, we know, you love open source-- now how about using email technology from 1998 instead of 1978?

    Eh, have you seen the Clown Vomit that Outlook spits out for HTML mail? It's not kind on the eyes when you are staring at it in something that doesn't support rich text mail, and I'm sure it's worse if you have some oddball email client that does rich text email differently from Outlook...besides, HTML mail done wrong (far easier than doing it right -- it took Microsoft how long to stop having gaping security holes in HTML email?) is a great way to wind up in Ze Land of Nasty Security Holes™.

    Also, why is Outlook not smart enough to use the > convention for quoting replies?

    Filed under: at least plain text email will get there in one piece,meet mail, bane of the eighth bit everywhere POSIX is served



  • @tarunik said:

    It's not kind on the eyes when you are staring at it in something that doesn't support rich text mail,

    Why would you ever be doing that?


  • sockdevs

    @blakeyrat said:

    Why would you ever be doing that?

    We're talking about GitHub stuff, yes? Probably working on the command-line ;)


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    Now now, they need to dogfood. They should write a command-line app that downloads their emails and checks them into a GitHub repo so they can use Github for Windows to manage their inbox.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Why would you ever be doing that?

    Mailing lists: the archive and digest systems in most mailing list packages I've ever seen don't deal with rich text mail, and I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few mailing lists are set up to strip things such as HTML attachments/MIME parts.



  • @tarunik said:

    Mailing lists: the archive and digest systems in most mailing list packages I've ever seen don't deal with rich text mail, and I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few mailing lists are set up to strip things such as HTML attachments/MIME parts.

    So the "reasoning" is you don't use HTML email because a shitty tool that should have been retired a decade ago doesn't support it.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    So the "reasoning" is you don't use HTML email because a shitty tool that should have been retired a decade ago doesn't support it.

    Say that when your replacement tool has ze bad guys taking advantage of its HTML support to create security issues...


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.